Monaghan v Down 07/02 Clones 2pm

Started by Main Street, February 05, 2016, 01:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: cluaineois on February 05, 2016, 08:45:59 PM
Ah lads let's not start this crap again. Clones is our nominated county ground.while I have nothing against blaney the design of the new stand is not great as it is set so far back from the pitch that you feel that you might as well be in doohamlet. Roscommons ploy of bringing us to kilotoom last week seems to have had the desired effect as I see that this week the new pitch for the Hyde was given the go-ahead. Believe it or not armaghniac clones does suit some of us.
I'm sure if it wasn't for the bad weather that game last week would have been played in Hyde park and if I recall right Roscommon beat Monaghan in the Hyde only 3 years ago.

This weekend should be straightforward home win against a side low in confidence and have injury list as long as your arm.

Main Street

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 06, 2016, 12:17:20 PM
My point re the ground was not in relation to the (now trite) argument re 'Clones not Clones'. I was making the point that counties pick their grounds to suit the game in question. We took Tyrone to Inniskeen a few years back to beat them, and it worked. Roscommon tried it last week. I'm sure the same rationale has been applied by the Armagh county board; sure didn't they opt for Clones for their championship games during the 00's when they were going well. Why? because it worked.

Also, when the fixtures were being made nobody knew or considered the relative happiness of the average Down fan..

I'd expect a bit more bite from them tomorrow after last weeks disaster. Not having O'Hare doesn't help their case mind..
Counties generally select their main venue and have a reason why on occasion they don't.
Afair, Inniskeen was selected for that Tyrone game 2010 and  Blaney for the game v Cork
because both grounds had their new stands completed .And there was a weather issue which dictated the Roscommon game be moved. If you try, you can find a reason why counties select a venue other than their main venue.
I know Clones is the default venue and it is no big surprise to have Clones as the venue for for a county game.
But if Blaney was going to be selected for a league game, then no harm to have selected it for the game v Down. Is that such a radical idea?

armaghniac

Are any Monaghan games on TV? A Saturday evening game in Blayney would have suited Down people OK as they'd be back in Kilcoo for a pint before the pub closed. Mayo people would have a longer journey. But perhaps the TV schedule is affecting the Sunday vs Saturday games?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on February 06, 2016, 02:30:50 PM
Are any Monaghan games on TV? A Saturday evening game in Blayney would have suited Down people OK as they'd be back in Kilcoo for a pint before the pub closed. Mayo people would have a longer journey. But perhaps the TV schedule is affecting the Sunday vs Saturday games?
Wherever Down supporters want to drown their sorrows would not be of much interest to Monaghan GAA.
Using alcohol is a gateway to badder stuff.

snoopdog

Can coverage be got on any radio station for this game today ?

Main Street

If this passes for coverage, you can join Nudie and Alan on Northern Sound with unfettered commentary from the game (unfettered that is,  by tedious interruptions from a Cavan game).
http://media.northernsound.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/

armaghniac

Quote from: Main Street on February 07, 2016, 02:05:18 PM
If this passes for coverage, you can join Nudie and Alan on Northern Sound with unfettered commentary from the game (unfettered that is,  by tedious interruptions from a Cavan game).
http://media.northernsound.ie/mediamanager/embed/player/

Northern Sound also have a phone app.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Monnanaheadbethree  at half time, according  to Nudie.

Main Street

Monaghan stumble across the line to beat Down.
Thanks Down for not making us pay.

gwan-ye-boy-ya

T Fearon

In the 70s and 80s Armagh would have played half,at least,of their National League home games in Davitt Park,Lurgan,including the famous game in 1980 in which they put six goals passed All Ireland Champions Kerry.

GrandMasterFlash

Delighted to be sitting on 4 points after not playing particularly well in both games. I wasn't at the game yesterday but was informed that Monaghan were worse than they were last week against Roscommon. Good to see the likes of Kerr, D McKenna and Conor Boyle coming into the side and contributing. There's a bunch of younger lads in the squad who seem to have the confidence to step up, which was lacking for a number of years in Monaghan squads. So, it's the Dubs next...

timmyot501

Monaghan just about did enough yesterday.  2 bursts in either half got them over the line.  Started slowly and then got going nicely as the first half wore on.  The second half was the other way around.  Started it quite well and then totally faded and probably should have got caught in the end.  Shane Carey and Owen Duffy were well improved from the week before and Ryan McAnespie did some good work and kicked 2 nice points.  Should have buried a goal too.  McManus was quiet by his high standards though his pass into mckenna for a point near the end was class. Missed a lot of frees again especially near the end to see the game out (Beggan, McManus and Hughes all missed scorables)

Overall happy with 2 wins without really clicking yet.  Will have to click against Dublin just to stay in that match!