Pre Marriage Course

Started by mb80b60, February 05, 2016, 12:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Married 6years ago, Didn't do the course and were put under no pressure by the PP to do the course. Listening to friends who got married around the same time I really don't think I missed anything by not attending.
Ulster League Champions 2009

manfromdelmonte

not going near a church for marriage

bunch of hypocrites, don't believe a word of the bull they pedal

No wides

Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: No wides on February 05, 2016, 03:37:14 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on February 05, 2016, 03:31:19 PM
I didn't know so many of you were all from the same parish as mb80b60 and can talk about your shared experiences of the pre marriage course there.
As foxcommander says it is part of the process - if you want married in the church then go through with it....there's always the town hall

I found our course as Rois said a little slow paced but enjoyable nonetheless. We were faced with some questions we maybe hadn't considered about finances, in-laws, boundaries etc.
I don't think too many people have an easy first year as a married couple  - whatever help and support you can get going in to it should be welcomed.

If you are relying on help from a pre marriage course you are in dire straights!

So the 21 year old sweethearts have it all figured out?
Maybe you already have all the answers but how often do you get the opportunity to listen to other couples openly talking that aren't your friends and family.

I'd rather not, and one of the ones lecturing us wasn't even married.

Rudi

Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 04:07:22 PM
Quote from: Rudi on February 05, 2016, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 03:19:44 PM
It's part of the process. Go do a civil ceremony if you don't want to do it.

So many just want the church wedding for the photos. Hypocrites.

Its part of a process that's complete and utter scutter, a huge waste of time, jobs for the boys type scenario. I got married in a church because religion is important to my wife and I. The marriage course given by a couple of f@cktards on the payroll was cringeworthy, I don't like getting lectured by people like this.

I don't know how's this a jobs for the boys? Sounds like you were unlucky with the presenters.
If you don't like the way your local priest delivers his sermons do you call him a f@cktard too and dismiss him?

Very lucky with priests over the years, could not say a bad word about any i was in contact with. The lay people involved in this course were a different story. Too answer your question no one is above being dismissed even a priest.

Farrandeelin

Good man for starting this. Mine is next weekend. Totally forgot about it!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omaghjoe

I thought it was entertaining, plenty of interaction with the other attendees and left us with a few things to think about. It was easy going and a bit of craic, no shove it down your throat stuff going on. The course was run by two married woman who spoke alot from their won experiences, a priest was in and out at various points and he said mass at the end but never really intruded in the course material, which was grand as it covered for the Sunday!

Praying during an argument was mentioned I admit, but it was also mentioned while having sex....by the feckin priest! Which we all had a good laugh about I think it was meant to be tongue in cheek / a way of seeing the bigger picture when involved in silly arguments.

Myself and herself lived together before so we had alot of what they covered already figured out but it was still interesting to hear it none the less. It also informed us of the rhythm method of contraception which was very informative I learned a few things from that, it was by no means told this is what you should be doing for contraception.

All in all I dont think it was intrusive at all and certainly much less so than the "pop psychology" a good many many women read in magazines and online about their relationships and how they should go.

bennydorano

I avoided doing one (16 years ago) as the priest who was due to take it was on the cusp of being brought to book for his Paedo activities.

I'd be of the opinion that they are a load of bollix myself.

omaghjoe

Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2016, 06:45:22 PM
I avoided doing one (16 years ago) as the priest who was due to take it was on the cusp of being brought to book for his Paedo activities.

Hmm... no experience but a strong negative opinion.... ???

J70

Quote from: foxcommander on February 05, 2016, 03:19:44 PM
It's part of the process. Go do a civil ceremony if you don't want to do it.

So many just want the church wedding for the photos. Hypocrites.

That is a fair point.

bennydorano

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 05, 2016, 06:55:39 PM

Hmmmm....A convicted Paedophile priest didn't get to lecture me on the potential pitfalls of marriage. Apart from being a paedophile, i'm guessing he'd no experience of marriage either ???

Rois

Haven't done one then...

Rois

Quote from: bennydorano on February 05, 2016, 07:47:03 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 05, 2016, 06:55:39 PM

Hmmmm....A convicted Paedophile priest didn't get to lecture me on the potential pitfalls of marriage. Apart from being a paedophile, i'm guessing he'd no experience of marriage either ???
No priest was anywhere near my course

Rois

3rd post...the OP was interested in hearing from people who'd done the course, as opposed to
people who know what they'd think if they had done it (but didn't).

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Estimator on February 05, 2016, 04:23:25 PM
Married 6years ago, Didn't do the course and were put under no pressure by the PP to do the course. Listening to friends who got married around the same time I really don't think I missed anything by not attending.
You or anyone else that didn't do this course are couples that didn't give money away for nothing. Be thankful for that.

bennydorano

Apologies for relaying my non misty eyed experience. I still hold the opinion, as do a few other posters on this thread, that it's nonsense, but each to their own.