Things the United States do well.

Started by Aristo 60, February 03, 2016, 10:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Forgot to add in previous post:

Talk nonstop and often loudly about their university courses and what they will/ have be "majoring" (wer t. f. that means) in.

Happy hours in bars.

Free "soda" refills at restaurants/ fast food places.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 04, 2016, 09:41:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2016, 07:29:39 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 04, 2016, 04:22:00 PM
While everyplace has some good restaurants, contrary to previous statements the US does not have most Michelin Star Restaurants, France does. Food is not a strength of the US, and much of the good food mentioned is derivative, where the chef was imported. The general standard of food is middling, but Pecan pie has its role to play and Cajun is decent.

National Parks.
The standard of food innovation is high even if there are fewer michelin stars. Americans do interesting stuff with flavours.

Im gonna throw my 2p in here. I will try and categorise the eating out options in America and compare them to Ireland's options. Talk about Michelen star is irrelevant, who the feck eats at a Michelin starred restaurant? I think I have eaten at one in my life.

I do! :P

Only because a very nice wee Mexican restaurant close to where we live managed to be awarded one last year (we were customers before it received it). And its still way cheaper than some of the joints in Manhattan.

If you're ever in Long Island City, check out Casa Enrique.

Your broader point stands though!

Aristo 60

Quote from: Rois on February 03, 2016, 11:11:04 PM
Quote from: Aristo 60 on February 03, 2016, 10:10:29 PM
1) Plumbing. Super flush action and helpful automation in most bathrooms.

Enjoying your honeymoon much???  TOILET CHAT?????

Yes thanks. Sure didn't I take the potty talk to the board!

armaghniac

Quote from: Longshanks on February 05, 2016, 11:42:40 AM
They have actually seasons of the year, when its sumer its really warm and very rarely rains and winter expect snow and very cold... not like here when its much of a muchness the whole time and could rain in the summer and be sunshine in december...

So has Russia.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Canalman on February 05, 2016, 12:59:02 PM

Talk nonstop and often loudly about their university courses and what they will/ have be "majoring" (wer t. f. that means) in.

Happy hours in bars.

[/b]

Reminds me of a group from Lurgan that were here playing a 7 a side tournament about 20 years ago, they spent hours in a fast food place enjoying the free soda one day, I think it was the highlight of their trip :-)

laoislad

Happy hours in bars.

Spur steakhouse in Liffey Valley do that!
As do Nandos.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on February 05, 2016, 11:25:05 AM
So to sum up its difficult to categorise American food because there is alot(and I mean alot) of shite food here but there is also some amazing food. Would say the further you go up the scale the better it does in comparison with Ireland but if you where to compare the food to say France,Spain, Italy its not even worth talking about.

"further up the scale" is just a reflection of a lot of rich people rather than any intrinsic cultural thing that exists in France or Italy.

No I dont think its because there is alot of rich people, that might be the case for the likes of Vegas where its all high end international chefs. But there is a good food culture here and it stems from that, admittedly it wouldnt be as widespread as France say but you could say that for many cultural things in America.

Puckoon

How do you think you've eaten at a Michelin Star Restaurant?

gawa316

Quote from: laoislad on February 05, 2016, 06:22:56 PM

Happy hours in bars.

Spur steakhouse in Liffey Valley do that!
As do Nandos.

f**k me should never have left!!