The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2016, 03:41:29 PM
Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 12:26:21 PM
Early tally in Wexford:

5 seats I think, so either Howlin or Wallace in trouble, or both!
Just on RTÉ that Howlin will top poll.

Yea, obviously geographical vote at play in the early tallies.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

One of the better tweets:

Brian Cowan ‏@_briancowan  3m3 minutes ago
#GE16 Mary Lou looking very sweaty, did she take running for election literally?
MWWSI 2017

Declan

This line of mixed messages etc is nonsense. The grand coalition was well flagged as a possible outcome so anyone who voted for either FF or FG did so with that knowledge

muppet

Quote from: Declan on February 27, 2016, 03:55:13 PM
This line of mixed messages etc is nonsense. The grand coalition was well flagged as a possible outcome so anyone who voted for either FF or FG did so with that knowledge

Especially if transfers break tradition and go from one to the other......
MWWSI 2017

Declan

QuoteEspecially if transfers break tradition and go from one to the other......

Agreed

muppet

Another consideration is a complete variable, i.e. the reaction of the EU, US, Eurozone, IMF etc to talk of a far-left party in Government in Dublin. But if that is mooted expect some reaction.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

Remember in the national interest

Arthur Beesley (@BeesleyIT)
27/02/2016, 16:07
Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil sources admit coalition likely irishtimes.com/news/politics/... via IrishTimes

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 04:06:39 PM
Another consideration is a complete variable, i.e. the reaction of the EU, US, Eurozone, IMF etc to talk of a far-left party in Government in Dublin. But if that is mooted expect some reaction.
Why not? QE doesn't work. Giving money to the rich doesn't work. They won't invest it. They just speculate it. Only way to get growth going is to build social housing and give serious pay rises to workers. PBP make more economic sense these days than FG.

armaghniac

This is overlooked. If SF somehow formed a government the cost of running would rise instantly as bond yields rose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 04:15:49 PM
Why not? QE doesn't work. Giving money to the rich doesn't work. They won't invest it. They just speculate it. Only way to get growth going is to build social housing and give serious pay rises to workers. PBP make more economic sense these days than FG.

I'm not sure what you are responding to. We still have to borrow money to function. Rightly or wrongly, the international community can and often does strong-arm countries when they don't like an election result, and given our debt they have plenty of leverage.
MWWSI 2017

Declan

INBOX: "BoyleSports Pay Out On Fine Gael/Fianna Fáil As Next Irish Government"

weareros

Quote from: Declan on February 27, 2016, 03:55:13 PM

Actually Fine Gael was clear to their voters they would not go into coalition with FF. The Irish people have voted FG and Labour out and if numbers work voted for a rainbow of Fianna Fáil, Sinn Fein and like minded independents.

muppet

Quote from: Declan on February 27, 2016, 04:37:48 PM
INBOX: "BoyleSports Pay Out On Fine Gael/Fianna Fáil As Next Irish Government"

FF won't do it if they think there is a chance of more seats in another election later in the year. But if they are happy with what they have this time, ie behind FG but ahead of SF, then they might actually bite the bullet. I think Kenny won't want it, but a lot of his party might. And Kenny is on thinning ice all the time.

So maybe......
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Willie O'D says they can't leave opposition to the Shinners.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 04:25:14 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 27, 2016, 04:15:49 PM

I'm not sure what you are responding to. We still have to borrow money to function. Rightly or wrongly, the international community can and often does strong-arm countries when they don't like an election result, and given our debt they have plenty of leverage.
The right wing approach has been tried since 2011 or 2008 or whenever you fancy  and it doesn't work.  Bailing out the bondholders didn't work. Euro zone deflation is 0.3%. PBP would be classed as not serious but their economic policies would be more rational than FG's.