The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

And that last paragraph of AZ's is one of the reasons why I couldn't be the minor party in govt.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

seafoid

SF will have another chance after the next crash.

Declan

I think the important point is that for first time in history of state largest 2 parties haven't got >50% of vote

haranguerer

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 27, 2016, 08:38:07 AM

Those who vote because of Gerry, do you think any of them wouldn't vote SF if Mary-Lou took over?

He has a large personal vote, I think it's likely some at least wouldn't be as inclined to.

I also think when Gerry does step down, it won't be an easy transition; it could go either way, and I'd prefer he stayed for a while yet to further establish SF. All the talk about him holding SF back is based on this hypothetical idea that, OK, under his leadership they have grown massively, but they would have grown even more without his leadership. The evidence suggests otherwise

Rossfan

Guru on RTÉ radio saying FF might end up as biggest Party :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Declan

QuoteGuru on RTÉ radio saying FF might end up as biggest Party :-[

Well that proves Eistein's quote re insanity

From the Bunker

Quote from: Declan on February 27, 2016, 10:34:18 AM
QuoteGuru on RTÉ radio saying FF might end up as biggest Party :-[

Well that proves Eistein's quote re insanity

AQMP

Quote from: Rossfan on February 27, 2016, 10:21:54 AM
Guru on RTÉ radio saying FF might end up as biggest Party :-[

If that's true then surely Kenny is toast??

muppet

Quote from: AQMP on February 27, 2016, 09:35:22 AM
Worshipping and hatred are both blind muppet. By you logic had SF got 30% you'd have been saying they should have got 35%.  The phrases"there's no point debating is always a good retreat strategy😛

If they had got 35% they would have been the biggest party and would be in pole position to form a government.

How on earth is that my logic?

They appear to be a very poor 3rd to FG & FF who are both suffering from association with austerity.

FF will improve, this seems to be lost on everyone. FG will probably stay as they are now and below the 2011 figures. If the economy doesn't crash again we could easily slip back to the 1980s/1990s Lanigan's Ball politics of FF steps in and FG steps out. Whither SF then?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

The Healy-Rae party has over 40% of 1st preferences in Kerry with 30% of the boxes open. I am praying that merely reflects the geography of the boxes opened!

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 11:17:09 AM
Quote from: AQMP on February 27, 2016, 09:35:22 AM
Worshipping and hatred are both blind muppet. By you logic had SF got 30% you'd have been saying they should have got 35%.  The phrases"there's no point debating is always a good retreat strategy😛

If they had got 35% they would have been the biggest party and would be in pole position to form a government.

How on earth is that my logic?

They appear to be a very poor 3rd to FG & FF who are both suffering from association with austerity.

FF will improve, this seems to be lost on everyone. FG will probably stay as they are now and below the 2011 figures. If the economy doesn't crash again we could easily slip back to the 1980s/1990s Lanigan's Ball politics of FF steps in and FG steps out. Whither SF then?
It will crash again the way things are going. Neoliberalism is all about impoverishING working class people so SF have a bright future.

Rossfan

If Shinners pray I expect it's for a formal FG/FF Government with SF as the only real opposition.
One way or other I presume the Labour rump will go into opposition and lurch to the left.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 11:20:37 AM

The Healy-Rae party has over 40% of 1st preferences in Kerry with 30% of the boxes open. I am praying that merely reflects the geography of the boxes opened!

We agree on this muppet!! A good day for the Healy-Raes is a headline that will put the shivers up most people

muppet

Mick Wallace's tally in North Wexford is half of the 2011 figure. I have no idea whether that is signifiant, but I hope so!

Jaysus I hate politics, but I love a good count.
MWWSI 2017

AQMP

Quote from: muppet on February 27, 2016, 11:37:00 AM
Mick Wallace's tally in North Wexford is half of the 2011 figure. I have no idea whether that is signifiant, but I hope so!

Jaysus I hate politics, but I love a good count.
There's a joke there muppet! Aye no one in my house has the least understanding of my love of elections