The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 24, 2016, 12:45:09 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on February 24, 2016, 09:20:03 AM
I don't think FG have ever been in back-to-back governments; you'd have thought that this should have been a shoo-in for them, as there's no realistic alternative.  We could have another election before summer.

I think is almost a definite, I'd expect three in 2016

Poor leaders that don't connect well with the plain people of Ireland is a big part of the problem. Having left the biggest surplus ever, the Rainbow Coalition of 1994-97 should have got re-elected. That said, did we ever have a more boring Taoiseach than John Bruton. That said on that occasion as on this, it was the public punishing the smaller party Labour which was the main culprit, even though FG will lose a lot of seats too. Yet the 12.5 corp tax was the brainchild of Ruari Quinn and Labour in that Rainbow Coalition and despite it's criticisms has been one of the big drivers of our economy ever since. Don't think the socially progressive legislation like divorce and Gay Marriage would ever have been brought through in a FF gov, and indeed we can thank Labour in the 1980s coalition with FG for contraception. But the core vote of both parties was never enough to form a gov and FG are essentially on borrowed FF votes and many appear to be going back to FF again.

Billys Boots

Was talking to a dyed-in-the-wool FF person today - he is genuinely astounded that FG are in trouble.  He thinks Kenny has done a decent job, given what he was handed after the last election.  He thinks a FG/FF coalition would be a disaster for both parties.  He thinks there will be another election later in the year. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

deiseach

I don't think FG have ever been in back-to-back governments; you'd have thought that this should have been a shoo-in for them, as there's no realistic alternative.  We could have another election before summer.

Don't get my hopes up!

ballinaman

The independents will be skint!

AZOffaly

If there is a hung Dáil, and Labour are obliterated, will we have at least 2 new leaders in the Fine Gael and Labour parties for any new election?

foxcommander

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2016, 02:05:51 PM
If there is a hung Dáil, and Labour are obliterated, will we have at least 2 new leaders in the Fine Gael and Labour parties for any new election?

It's either a FG/FF coalition or if Inda fails to get majority - gets shafted by party. Leo gets elevated, becomes Teeshock in round 2.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Esmarelda

Quote from: Hardy on February 24, 2016, 10:37:29 AM
Here's a fascinating reflection of how the campaign has gone. I posted Paddy Power's odds for Cork South Central four weeks ago today. Below is how they've changed:

Coveney (FG) - then 1/50, now 1/33
McGrath (FF) - then 1/10, now 1/33
Martin (FF) - then 1/5, now 1/80
Buttimer (FG) - then 1/4, now 2/1
Ó Laoghaire (SF) - then 4/7, now 1/7
Lynch (Lab) - then 10/3, now 7/1
That's pretty incredible alright.

armaghniac

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 24, 2016, 01:49:47 PM
Was talking to a dyed-in-the-wool FF person today - he is genuinely astounded that FG are in trouble.  He thinks Kenny has done a decent job, given what he was handed after the last election.  He thinks a FG/FF coalition would be a disaster for both parties.  He thinks there will be another election later in the year.

People forget quickly just what a mess there was or else they cod themselves that there was some easy way to sort this. In football terms FG did the hard work, scored some great points from hard angles, but have put the game in danger by dropping the ball unnecessarily and some pointless fouls.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2016, 02:37:18 PM

People forget quickly just what a mess there was or else they cod themselves that there was some easy way to sort this. In football terms FG did the hard work, scored some great points from hard angles, but have put the game in danger by dropping the ball unnecessarily and some pointless fouls.

Yes FG did the hard work of burdening the working man in order to protect the wealth of influential individuals and increasing DOB's portfolio valuation.

Captain Obvious

Is this because you think FG are great or alternative is rubbish. I watched some of the debate last night found it very boring to be honest. Where has charm and charisma gone to in Irish politics?

armaghniac

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 24, 2016, 02:40:39 PM
Yes FG did the hard work of burdening the working man in order to protect the wealth of influential individuals and increasing DOB's portfolio valuation.

Horsecrap.

But since you are so insightful please tell us what they should have done differently.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2016, 02:37:18 PM

Absolute horsesh!t. You're like Kenny claiming any upturn in the economy is down to FG and any problems are down to legacy Fianna Fail issues. The economy is improving due to numerous external factors, price of oil, low interest rates and a weak euro to name three. The decrease in VAT for hospitality was one good idea introduced by the govt but for me there haven't been enough of those. If you're at the bottom there is only one way to go. FG had an open goal for the last 5 years and their disbelief that the electorate are fuming with them is their biggest problem. Like you, they just don't get it.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2016, 02:49:25 PM

Horsecrap.

But since you are so insightful please tell us what they should have done differently.
These clowns can only moan and of course whinge :D
His alternative would probably be to rob the Northern Bank or do like Syria did...........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2016, 03:41:15 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on February 24, 2016, 02:49:25 PM

Horsecrap.

These clowns can only moan and of course whinge :D
His alternative would probably be to rob the Northern Bank or do like Syria did...........
Syria?

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie