The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 16, 2016, 12:05:47 AM
Had it on but was only half listening. Does anyone other than the media give a damn about this type of thing? Debating has nothing to do with being in govt / running a country

Well if you're an undecided voter, surely they help you form an opinion...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ashman

seafoid

I met Eamon O Cuiv this evening in Indreabhan and he thinks the next Gov will be FG agus SF

Declan

Listening to Terry Prone yesterday and she was saying that the debates are irrelevant in terms of the actual vote. The only people who are interested in them are the media and political anoraks.

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on February 16, 2016, 12:49:37 AM
I met Eamon O Cuiv this evening in Indreabhan and he thinks the next Gov will be FG agus SF
Only an option I'd say if Adams plays no part - would probably have to resign as SF leader.

It would be the ideal result for FF. Would put them as the main alternative come the following election.

Still hard to see anything other than a FG/Lab/Rainbow coalition.

deiseach

Complete wishful thinking on his part.

Canalman

Quote from: Declan on February 16, 2016, 08:35:01 AM
Listening to Terry Prone yesterday and she was saying that the debates are irrelevant in terms of the actual vote. The only people who are interested in them are the media and political anoraks.

She is 100% right.

Canalman

Never ever  happen. Each party despises the other. 

A dream for FF if it did, which it won't.

If numbers add up FF and SF I think could do business. Sameish gene pool.

StephenC

Quote from: Hound on February 16, 2016, 08:50:03 AM
Only an option I'd say if Adams plays no part - would probably have to resign as SF leader.

It would be the ideal result for FF. Would put them as the main alternative come the following election.

Isn't this the main objective of several parties ... FF, SF and maybe even Labour would like to take a break in opposition.

deiseach

Quote from: StephenC on February 16, 2016, 09:55:06 AM
Isn't this the main objective of several parties ... FF, SF and maybe even Labour would like to take a break in opposition.

It's gas, isn't it? All this jockeying to NOT be in government.

Declan

If the numbers stack up the scenario I see developing is a grand coalition of FF & FG but with Michael and Enda having to take one for the team and the new guard comes in

Canalman

Quote from: StephenC on February 16, 2016, 09:55:06 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 16, 2016, 08:50:03 AM

Nail on the head there. That is why I think we will need a second election to sort things out. Too many of the big players jockeying to be the main opposition party with a view to gaining power outrightish in 4 or 5 years.
Too many of the independents more worried about holding their seats at the next election to bother supporting a government.

seafoid

Quote from: Canalman on February 16, 2016, 09:30:27 AM

Never ever  happen. Each party despises the other. 

A dream for FF if it did, which it won't.

If numbers add up FF and SF I think could do business. Sameish gene pool.
A deal on irish water et voilà. The name of the game is power. 2 in a row for FG, first time...

Billys Boots

Quote from: Canalman on February 16, 2016, 09:27:27 AM
Quote from: Declan on February 16, 2016, 08:35:01 AM

She is 100% right.

She is, because it was her ilk, sorry profession, that dreamt up the nonsense.  At least they're now admitting that it's nonsense. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AQMP