The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2016, 11:41:56 PM
Gerry won hands down.

Took Martin to town when he was moralising about the O6.

What did Fianna Fail ever do for the O6? They stood by obsequiously while a foreign military raised hell on Irish soil in a sectarian statelet they were complicit in a situation they allowed fester. It's hard to listen to a guy talk about matters in the O6 when his party have no interest in them.

Fianna Fail were a party that introduced internment, so it's hardly surprising they are a bit warped on justice.

What whiskey or indeed whisky are you drinking !

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ashman on February 11, 2016, 11:58:13 PM
Gerry won hands down.

What did Fianna Fail ever do for the O6? They stood by obsequiously while a foreign military raised hell on Irish soil in a sectarian statelet they were complicit in a situation they allowed fester. It's hard to listen to a guy talk about matters in the O6 when his party have no interest in them.

Fianna Fail were a party that introduced internment, so it's hardly surprising they are a bit warped on justice.

I think it's the height of hypocrisy for politicians from the 26 who have no presence in the O6 to try and point score off The Troubles. They had a huge part to play in how the conflict festered and escalated and did absolutely nothing to intervene of protect the northern nationalists. They have never bothered to attempt to unearth the truth about the Dublin and Monaghan bombings but were willing to lock up republicans without a trial or any evidence.

Their party is shamed with interning republicans, sending them to death squads and allowing prisoners to starve themselves to death. The taste of power made them lose any sense of social conscience.

They have some f**king cheek to call themselves a Republican party, they have some bizarre interpretation of justice.

AZOffaly

sambostar

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 12, 2016, 12:43:56 AM
Quote from: ashman on February 11, 2016, 11:58:13 PM
Gerry won hands down.

I think it's the height of hypocrisy for politicians from the 26 who have no presence in the O6 to try and point score off The Troubles. They had a huge part to play in how the conflict festered and escalated and did absolutely nothing to intervene of protect the northern nationalists. They have never bothered to attempt to unearth the truth about the Dublin and Monaghan bombings but were willing to lock up republicans without a trial or any evidence.

Their party is shamed with interning republicans, sending them to death squads and allowing prisoners to starve themselves to death. The taste of power made them lose any sense of social conscience.

They have some f**king cheek to call themselves a Republican party, they have some bizarre interpretation of justice.
Agreed, Burton pissed me off the most, constantly heckling & making sly one-liners to Adams re what SF are doing in the North - when her party in government ignored the situation in the North for the last 5 years

seafoid

It was gas watching Adams speak without a silencer. For years he was dumbed by Section 23. Most of the talking points of the 4 were bollocking.  There will be little growth until we get a new economic system. The US economy is fucked.

Declan

Watching that nonsense last night only further confirmed my pinion that I'll find it very difficult to cast for a vote for any of them

Canalman

Can't really see the point of these debates myself besides getting the political journalists and anoraks in a flap. Would be surprised if say a 1,000 people in the whole country changed their voting intentions by watching it. All pre rehearsed soundbytes, buzz words and  "off the cuff retorts" when on the back foot. Yawn.

Write Micheál Martin off at your peril. Think FF will kick themselves for not running more candidates in certain constituencies.

Have to say though his picture on the posters is not the most flattering.

Hound

Quote from: Declan on February 12, 2016, 11:30:59 AM
Watching that nonsense last night only further confirmed my pinion that I'll find it very difficult to cast for a vote for any of them
Hard to find any of them likeable. Last night I found Enda the most unlikeable.

I reckon FF, FG and Lab are all delighted that Gerry is still leader of SF.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on February 12, 2016, 12:19:16 PM
Think FF will kick themselves for not running more candidates in certain constituencies.

Any constituency in particular?

Canalman

Quote from: deiseach on February 12, 2016, 12:38:31 PM
Think FF will kick themselves for not running more candidates in certain constituencies.

Any constituency in particular?

Several in Dublin, Waterford (I think they have only one but stand to be corrected)  and a couple in Co. Cork. Maybe more.

Just think that they might have picked up maybe 3 or 4 seats or been in a fight for them if they ran 2nd candidates. Even a 2nd "sweeper" candidate gets the exposure for future runs (maybe in October again).

Just my hunch that they might be being a little too conservative and might regret it if the old traditional FF vote drifts back to them.

seafoid

Can't really see the point of these debates myself besides getting the political journalists and anoraks in a flap. Would be surprised if say a 1,000 people in the whole country changed their voting intentions by watching it. All pre rehearsed soundbytes, buzz words and  "off the cuff retorts" when on the back foot. Yawn.

Write Micheál Martin off at your peril. Think FF will kick themselves for not running more candidates in certain constituencies.

Have to say though his picture on the posters is not the most flattering.
I like his tie. The FF slogan is Ireland for all. Surprised Tony F hasn't mentioned it yet.

seafoid

Kenny and Martin are both quite weak. Martin brought in the HSE which is a hames. Maybe he is the best of the FF remnant. Some good young wans coming up like Varadkar and Kelly and Piaras. I think Clare Daly is the best speaker.

deiseach

I'd say with some confidence that FF have no hope of getting a second seat in Waterford, and a second candidate would torpedo any chance they might have of getting one. There would just be too much transfer leakage to get them ahead at the final count. As for Dublin, it's not inconceivable that they'd only get two seats in the entire city/county.

foxcommander

I don't know why I keep thinking this. Must be subliminal.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

seafoid

Quote from: foxcommander on February 12, 2016, 02:01:24 PM

I don't know why I keep thinking this. Must be subliminal.
It's supposed to be about the economy. But it doesn't seem to be this time around.