The Official 2016 Irish General Election thread

Started by deiseach, February 03, 2016, 11:46:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

He is relying on it deiseach. It is his main electoral plank. This quote sums it up.

"In the last five years when you needed to get things done in Tipperary; when you needed jobs, schools, hospitals to be built, the roads to be done, any amenities, it was Alan Kelly that [you] contacted."

and

"In Tipperary, your village or your town is everything... I am loyal firstly to my family. I am loyal then to my parish; then to my area; my county; my country. That's the way I am mentally built."

I mean in one way I admire him. He's honest about it and doesn't give a shite if people think he's an arrogant Parish Pump politician. If he were just Joe Bloggs TD (like Michael Lowry) I might even praise him for it. But this lad is ambitious to be a leading light in government, and is just after holding an important ministerial brief, and he's basically saying the Country comes last in his list of priorities :)

Declan

QuoteBut this lad is ambitious to be a leading light in government, and is just after holding an important ministerial brief, and he's basically saying the Country comes last in his list of priorities

Spot  on AZ

Rossfan

Quote from: Declan on February 04, 2016, 04:32:07 PM
QuoteBut this lad is ambitious to be a leading light in government, and is just after holding an important ministerial brief, and he's basically saying the Country comes last in his list of priorities

Spot  on AZ
Ya can only get elected in your own Constituency.
All politics is local as some famous chap once said ( Tip O'Neill?)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maguire01

As someone who doesn't pay USC, can anyone explain to me if and how it is different to income tax? i.e. what difference would it make, if any, if USC was cut by X% and PAYE raised by X%?

seafoid

Rossfan

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 09, 2016, 05:56:54 PM
As someone who doesn't pay USC, can anyone explain to me if and how it is different to income tax? i.e. what difference would it make, if any, if USC was cut by X% and PAYE raised by X%?
USC is paid on everything - no allowances for pension deductions e.g.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on February 09, 2016, 06:16:11 PM
Cake seems to be in trouble in Ros/Galway
Hopefully the b*#*#*x.
Didn't hear him earlier but folks are saying he was a disaster on Shannonside earlier.
Meanwhile I've almost split my sides laughing at the SF manifesto.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on February 09, 2016, 06:41:33 PM
Hopefully the b*#*#*x.
Didn't hear him earlier but folks are saying he was a disaster on Shannonside earlier.

You actually read manifestoes?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 09, 2016, 09:55:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 09, 2016, 06:41:33 PM
Hopefully the b*#*#*x.

You actually read manifestoes?
Nooooo. Just the report on the News.
FG FF and Lab have produced works of fiction but SF are pure comedy.
The rest don't count so they can excrete any matter they like.

Feckitt

What do people think of the new Sinn Fein colour scheme. Just like Donegal footballers did in the early nineties they've switched from green to gold.  Personally I like it. It's fresh and modern and it will help Rte on election count day who always struggle with the 3 shades of green for FF the Green Party and SF

seafoid

Sinn Fein are obviously morphing away from their past towards a more coherent southern force. Some of their ideas like 100K social houses and a sugar tax are very progressive. I bet Mary Lou can't wait for Adams to shuffle off the stage 

Declan

At least it's not affecting our sense of humour

AZOffaly

Did ye get this email into yer clubs lads?

Sent: 10 February 2016 11:01
To: Clubsecretaries.tipperary@gaa.ie
Subject: Fw: General Election

A chara,

Given that a General Election campaign is underway, it is timely to remind units of

Rule 1.11:
Non-Party Political
The Association shall be non-party political. Party political questions shall not be discussed at its meetings, and no Committee, Club, Council or representative thereof shall take part, as such, in any party political movement. A penalty of up to twenty four weeks suspension may be imposed for infringement.

Please note that, in response to a query from a County Committee, the Rules Advisory Committee confirmed at its meeting of 12 Márta last year, this rule also cover Independent candidates.

Is mise le meas,

Páraic

Páraic Ó Dufaigh/Páraic Duffy
Ard Stiúrthóir/Director General

Billys Boots

It's safe to send that round now AZ, because there will be no Sports Capital Grants awarded this year. :p
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...