The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Won 3 out of the last 5 and will win 3 out of the next 5, yeah money might be an issue to an extent but i put it down to a serious set of players especially forwards, Teams come and go, this is Dublin's best team, better than the 70`s teams but all good things come to an end.

Donegal have 2 serious minor teams to work on, Tyrone are picking up the pace again, but it will be Kerry that will end Dublin's Dominance. They have a set of players coming through from past 2/3 minor teams that will eclipse all before them in about 5/6yrs time. This doesnt help Leinster though, Meath and kildare are miles of the pace.

Main Street

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 06, 2016, 07:33:13 AM
Quote from: Michael Schmeichal on February 06, 2016, 12:12:00 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 05, 2016, 08:12:53 PM
Over 12 years this funding is in place.

So any 26 year old on the Dublin panel would have come onto the U14 development squad aged 13/14. So a good chunk of them have benefitted.

I have some involvement with Dublin development squads. They are pretty much the same.as the Tipp squads listed above. One t shirt per year gear along with sorts and socks. One or two away games.aside from blitzes. No strength and conditioning  activity until.u17. These.are the facts. There is no more money spent on them than there is anywhere else and considerably less.than a lot of.counties.

Counties like Mayo are burying themselves in huge debt to try and keep up with what Dublin are spending on their senior team at the minute. They have the biggest sponsorship deal in the country, their income dwarfs that of every other county in the country, they have a  big brand and good relationships with big companies. They should be able to finance themselves accordingly without the help of central funding.

I don't know if Dublin and Mayo disclose the money they are currently pumping in to their senior team but I would imagine it is obscene. The difference is Dublin are well able to sustain that money year on year while also providing the very best for underage football and development in the county. Mayo on the other hand are throwing their lot on this particular generation of players and won't be able to sustain it in the long run.

Tyrone in comparison operate on very strict budgets and I would hazard a guess that their spend on county teams is significantly less than Mayo's or Dublin's last year.

Kerry also seem to be pretty well ran but they have the caveat of Kerry Group if they ever feel like they're falling behind the field.

Donegal have pumped a lot of money in the last few years but I get the feeling that is being reined in now.

Dublin are like the juiced up cyclist, it can set the pace and it knows that nobody else has the reserves to properly keep up with it. As I said earlier the Dublin fans who deny these advantages and are unwilling to admit they exist remind me of unionists. It shouldn't be used to diminish their achievements but this money has created a huge imbalance in the Championship.

Kerry have always dished out beatings in Munster because they are the only footballing team in the province. Nothing will ever probably change there unless football starts to gain a foothold in other counties.

There's only about 3 or 4 teams in the entire country who you could see get within 10 points of Dublin in a big game, this was never the case with Tyrone or the Kerry teams that dominated football in the past decade. This was pre an era of massive financial discrepancy. Kerry and Tyrone may have been putting more money into their teams than most but they weren't putting 20 or 30 times what some of the rest of the field were.

Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) but in the long run they don't have the money to sustain what they're at and that domination will end.

Dublin's dominance of Leinster and Ireland will continue as they have the money to sustain it and nobody can match them.
You don't have to make (erroneous) guesses about what counties spend each year.
Annual reports are available online, with easy to read balance sheet summaries.
Tyrone in particular in 2013 were a model of efficiency, realised a surplus, yet actually spent more than Mayo.

And Dublin GAA themselves can finance a good % of those expenditures that central GAA funds are covering.
We can call that strategy, DublinGo.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 12:37:34 PM

Donegal have 2 serious minor teams to work on, Tyrone are picking up the pace again, but it will be Kerry that will end Dublin's Dominance. They have a set of players coming through from past 2/3 minor teams that will eclipse all before them in about 5/6yrs time. This doesnt help Leinster though, Meath and kildare are miles of the pace.

Kildare have been more than a match for Dublin at underage level for the last decade or so. The gap in funding for preparing the senior teams is the reason for the gulf in class.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on February 06, 2016, 03:54:11 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 12:37:34 PM

Kildare have been more than a match for Dublin at underage level for the last decade or so. The gap in funding for preparing the senior teams is the reason for the gulf in class.

Difference is that the Dublin underage teams went on to win All Irelands. We've only managed one All Ireland final appearance which we lost at minor or u21 in those ten years.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on February 06, 2016, 03:52:44 PM
Apparently half this team play for a divisional side or kenmare? damn strange Junior side

Are divisional sides not made up of Junior players?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 06, 2016, 04:01:39 PM

Difference is that the Dublin underage teams went on to win All Irelands. We've only managed one All Ireland final appearance which we lost at minor or u21 in those ten years.

True enough but we do have the better of them in head to head battles. If not for the disastrous years wasted under Jarlath Gilroy at minor and Alan Barry at under 21 it might have been a better record.

The 2013 under 21 team really should have won the AI though, the bottle job with their shooting in that semi final still haunts me.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Main Street on February 06, 2016, 02:30:24 PM

So any 26 year old on the Dublin panel would have come onto the U14 development squad aged 13/14. So a good chunk of them have benefitted.

I have some involvement with Dublin development squads. They are pretty much the same.as the Tipp squads listed above. One t shirt per year gear along with sorts and socks. One or two away games.aside from blitzes. No strength and conditioning  activity until.u17. These.are the facts. There is no more money spent on them than there is anywhere else and considerably less.than a lot of.counties.

Counties like Mayo are burying themselves in huge debt to try and keep up with what Dublin are spending on their senior team at the minute. They have the biggest sponsorship deal in the country, their income dwarfs that of every other county in the country, they have a  big brand and good relationships with big companies. They should be able to finance themselves accordingly without the help of central funding.

I don't know if Dublin and Mayo disclose the money they are currently pumping in to their senior team but I would imagine it is obscene. The difference is Dublin are well able to sustain that money year on year while also providing the very best for underage football and development in the county. Mayo on the other hand are throwing their lot on this particular generation of players and won't be able to sustain it in the long run.

Tyrone in comparison operate on very strict budgets and I would hazard a guess that their spend on county teams is significantly less than Mayo's or Dublin's last year.

Kerry also seem to be pretty well ran but they have the caveat of Kerry Group if they ever feel like they're falling behind the field.

Donegal have pumped a lot of money in the last few years but I get the feeling that is being reined in now.

Dublin are like the juiced up cyclist, it can set the pace and it knows that nobody else has the reserves to properly keep up with it. As I said earlier the Dublin fans who deny these advantages and are unwilling to admit they exist remind me of unionists. It shouldn't be used to diminish their achievements but this money has created a huge imbalance in the Championship.

Kerry have always dished out beatings in Munster because they are the only footballing team in the province. Nothing will ever probably change there unless football starts to gain a foothold in other counties.

There's only about 3 or 4 teams in the entire country who you could see get within 10 points of Dublin in a big game, this was never the case with Tyrone or the Kerry teams that dominated football in the past decade. This was pre an era of massive financial discrepancy. Kerry and Tyrone may have been putting more money into their teams than most but they weren't putting 20 or 30 times what some of the rest of the field were.

Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) but in the long run they don't have the money to sustain what they're at and that domination will end.

Dublin's dominance of Leinster and Ireland will continue as they have the money to sustain it and nobody can match them.
Tyrone in particular in 2013 were a model of efficiency, realised a surplus, yet actually spent more than Mayo.

And Dublin GAA themselves can finance a good % of those expenditures that central GAA funds are covering.

Erroneous?

Tyrone spent £430k on county teams this year, using a fx rate of £0.7 that comes in at €615k. That also covers an U21 side who won an All Ireland as well as an All Ireland semi-finalist team who played an extra game to Mayo.

Mayo spent €880k on their county teams last year, that's 43% more than Tyrone spent.

In 2014 it was €587k (£411k) v €887k  and that's using a fx rate of 0.7 which is probably not correct given that sterling has began to notably gain strength in the past 18 months.

In 2013 it was €668k (£469k) v €906k, again that's probably an inflated figure for Tyrone as a fx figure of 0.7 is used.

So for the past three years, Mayo have been spending on average 200-300k more on their county teams than Tyrone. That's not far off €1m in those three years.

I suspect you check your figures in future before erroneously accusing others of being wrong.

Il Bomber Destro

Funny enough, I'm finding it quite tough to find the figures for Dublin and what they are spending on their county teams.

Il Bomber Destro

Dublin's spend on county teams in 2012 was €1.6m according to this article.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/counties-sixfigure-budget-deficits-have-gaa-on-alert-29051723.html

Income: €3,264,394
Expenditure: €3,105,613
Surplus: €158,781
A decent surplus, but their spend on inter-county preparation was still the highest by some distance, in excess of €1.6m, despite not being in an All-Ireland football final and their early exit in the hurling championship.

I would estimate it is about €2m+ now given the money rolling into the Dubs. I would also estimate that the apportioning of this figure is about 60:40 football to hurling which will put an estimated figure of €1.2m+ forward.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Cunny Funt on February 06, 2016, 12:16:00 PM
Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) 
Over the last 5 years I can only think of three 20+ point wins Mayo had, leitrim at home New York and Sligo in last years Connacht final. Galway gave Mayo a good game last year,Roscommon twice got within one score of Mayo in 2011,2014. Sligo lost the Connacht final by only 2 points in 2012 and London brought Mayo to extra time in 2011.

12, 17 and 16 point victories in 2013 in their 3 Connacht matches against Roscommon, Galway and London.

20, 1 and 8 point victories in 2014 in their 3 Connacht games against New York, Roscommon and Galway.

4 and 24 point victories last year against Galway and Sligo.

I think the two victories against Galway in the past two years have been a bit flattering for Galway, Mayo looked like they could kick on and win by more if they needed to.

That should worry you.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 06, 2016, 06:21:22 PM
Mayo's dominance of Connacht is a worry at the minute (by dominance I mean them handing 20+ point beatings out regularly) 
Over the last 5 years I can only think of three 20+ point wins Mayo had, leitrim at home New York and Sligo in last years Connacht final. Galway gave Mayo a good game last year,Roscommon twice got within one score of Mayo in 2011,2014. Sligo lost the Connacht final by only 2 points in 2012 and London brought Mayo to extra time in 2011.

12, 17 and 16 point victories in 2013 in their 3 Connacht matches against Roscommon, Galway and London.

20, 1 and 8 point victories in 2014 in their 3 Connacht games against New York, Roscommon and Galway.

I think the two victories against Galway in the past two years have been a bit flattering for Galway, Mayo looked like they could kick on and win by more if they needed to.

That should worry you.
look at U21 and minor results for the past few years in Connacht and see which way the pendulum is swinging

GalwayBayBoy

That should worry you.

Actually thought we should have been closer than 4 last year considering we scored a flukey own goal on ourselves.

Cunny Funt

That should worry you.
Only 2013 have Mayo had it all their own way and that was a Mayo team that hammered the defending All Ireland champions in the quarter final.Thanks  you proved my point that Mayo have not been winning games in Connacht by 20+ points regularly.

Main Street

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 06, 2016, 05:45:57 PM

Erroneous?

Tyrone spent £430k on county teams this year, using a fx rate of £0.7 that comes in at €615k. That also covers an U21 side who won an All Ireland as well as an All Ireland semi-finalist team who played an extra game to Mayo.

Mayo spent €880k on their county teams last year, that's 43% more than Tyrone spent.

In 2014 it was €587k (£411k) v €887k  and that's using a fx rate of 0.7 which is probably not correct given that sterling has began to notably gain strength in the past 18 months.

In 2013 it was €668k (£469k) v €906k, again that's probably an inflated figure for Tyrone as a fx figure of 0.7 is used.

So for the past three years, Mayo have been spending on average 200-300k more on their county teams than Tyrone. That's not far off €1m in those three years.

I suspect you check your figures in future before erroneously accusing others of being wrong.
Yes, you are much more accurate about Mayo expenditure that I was,
Tyrone run a much tighter ship than free spending Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: Main Street on February 06, 2016, 07:16:44 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 06, 2016, 05:45:57 PM

Erroneous?

Yes, you are much more accurate about Mayo expenditure that I was,
Tyrone run a much tighter ship than free spending Mayo.

Most of the top ten are burning the candle at both ends to their own degrees. Dublin the anomaly because they can pay for the professional set up and not worry about debt or bailouts. And they're the ones the rest are chasing.