The Cost Of Dublin's Domination Is Becoming Clearer

Started by MoChara, February 03, 2016, 11:08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: larryin89 on February 03, 2016, 06:46:42 PM
30% is that correct. Top of my head 6 million population of 32 counties , .6 = 10% X 2 = 1.2 . Surely it's nearer 20% ?

There are still 3/4 million lost to us in the 6 counties owing to bigotry, and maybe more when this 6 county identity is promoted, which regards the GAA as being "divisive".
And Dublin's population is expected to grow by up to 300,000 between 2011 and 2031, so 2o something % now will approach 30% soon enough.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2016, 03:01:09 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 03, 2016, 11:52:30 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 03, 2016, 11:38:38 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 03, 2016, 11:31:42 AM
The GAA should fix Leinster football. Dubs have 10  out of the last 11 I think

You're correct in what you said earlier. Offaly, Kildare, Meath and all the others should bear the brunt of the blame for their own issues, not cast arrows towards Dublin. However, if Offaly make the absolute most of their resources (and they are trying) the artificially inflated gap between themselves and Dublin will still not close, simply because Dublin is able to provide a huge amount of quality coaching and games development, thanks to money from Croke Park.

If that money is not a primary factor, and there is just something inherently better in the Dublin lads, then removing it should make no difference to the current state of play, and the money can be used elsewhere.

If it is a primary factor, then it has to be addressed, either by increasing money to the other counties, or reducing the money to Dublin. My preference would be to increase the money (assuming coherent plans on how to spend it are produced) rather than punishing Dublin for being excellent.

Unfortunately that requires even more money, so what do the GAA do? As I said, they will be swayed by whatever generates a healthier bottom line. For years, that was made healthier by a strong Dublin team and a full Croke Park several days a year. Now that the pendulum has swung so far, that relative strength is actually having a detrimental effect on attendance, and if attendance and interest are affected, so too are the coffers in all counties.

It's a hard medium to find. The GAA needs a competitive Dublin, but it doesn't need, or can't have, a Dublin which through it's own strength reduces the interest in the games themselves.

When have they ever not been competitive?
95 to 05?;I remember long stretches. Only 4 all Irelands in 30 years I think.

'Competitive' doesn't mean winning the thing outright.
Bear in mind that we had a serious team for much of that period and there was never much between us in Leinster.
No back door either.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Il Bomber Destro

The defensive attitude of Dublin fans on the excess funding they get reminds me of the unionists.

They have distinct advantages over everyone else and that's the way they feel it should be.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Jinxy on February 03, 2016, 09:40:00 PM

'Competitive' doesn't mean winning the thing outright.
Bear in mind that we had a serious team for much of that period and there was never much between us in Leinster.
No back door either.

Exactly Meath and Kildare when winning Leinsters would always have a massive challenge against Dublin and I don't recall them ever taking too many hammerings. They were never far off and if not for being managed by Tommy Carr they might have been closer.

Farrandeelin

Just a question on 'the GAA needs a competitive Dublin'. Does it really? I know Dublin GAA needs a competitive Dublin, but to see them hockeying the shit out of other Leinster teams isn't good, I mean even the media were complaining when they dished out a hammering to Longford last year. Not directed directly at AZ but there's a vibe often said that Dublin needs to be competitive for the GAA to be successful. I suppose in terms of revenue that's probably true, but does it all have to be about the money?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FermGael

Antrim recieved €47,400.
Thats probably the county withh the second largest city in it.

Fermanagh and Leitrim recieved €39000.
Only New York got less.

This money is for Games Development.

How do you develop games with those figures ?
Would that pay the salary of one games development officer ?

I have always said Fermanagh should never use the size argument.
It's about making the best of whatever resources you have but money talks. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Croí na hÉireann

Membership of a Dublin club is approaching €200, country clubs are at most half that, some less than a quarter . Has to be a strong reason why Dublin clubs can afford half the salary of a GPO.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

screenexile

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 04, 2016, 09:53:18 AM
Membership of a Dublin club is approaching €200, country clubs are at most half that, some less than a quarter . Has to be a strong reason why Dublin clubs can afford half the salary of a GPO.

Membership in our club is £30!

JoG2

Holy mo, that's crazy money. Players paying this as well?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: JoG2 on February 04, 2016, 10:44:33 AM

That'd be the full playing membership. Students and youths would be around the €100 mark.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 04, 2016, 11:33:25 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on February 04, 2016, 10:44:33 AM

That'd be the full playing membership. Students and youths would be around the €100 mark.

I pay a family membership 2 adults 2 kids €90 +€10 for every kid afterwards

Players pay €100. Students €80.
#newbridgeornowhere

five points

We need to split Dublin into 2, 3 or 4 "county" teams.

Imagine the state English soccer would be in if there was one 1 club in London.

knockitdown

Quote from: five points on February 04, 2016, 12:51:58 PM
We need to split Dublin into 2, 3 or 4 "county" teams.

Imagine the state English soccer would be in if there was one 1 club in London.

I dont think you can make that comparison.......unless your kildare or seany johnston, gahhh players cant transfer

AZOffaly

armaghniac

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 04, 2016, 01:10:15 PM
No need to split them, the Dubs must stay.

With such an imbalance in population and good participation in GAA in Dublin ,how can meaningful Leinster championship survive, in football at least?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B