Mayo v Dublin NFL Div 1 2016

Started by Farrandeelin, February 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Watched this game last night and think it could have went on for another 3-4 hours and the dubs would have held Mayo comfortably at arms length. Unless you have CoC and AoS plus two other consistent scorers I can't see you crossing the line in September. No matter how many times guys like Doherty, Ronaldson, Freeman, Sweeney, Conroy etc have been given a lash they have, imo, never shown they have the gilt edge to turn almost rans into winners. From the little if have seen Regan looks good but yet to be tested in the white heat of summer.

I would love to see the green and red do it in September but I think the top teams know that if they cover CoC and AoS to a half decent level then 9 times out of 10 the other Mayo forwards will stutter their lines a la the 3/4 Mark in last year's semi when you had all but your wee toes in the final.

maigheo

would have to say I have been very disappointed in Evan Regan.I know its early days yet but for me he does not look like the solution to our corner forward problem

From the Bunker

Quote from: maigheo on February 07, 2016, 02:51:26 PM
would have to say I have been very disappointed in Evan Regan.I know its early days yet but for me he does not look like the solution to our corner forward problem

Wait until the end of the league. Can't judge the lad on two games so far.

macdanger2

Yeah, far too early to judge Regan yet. Apart from the fact that we've struggled in both games, he has a huge amount to learn, playing at this level is completely different to what he's been used to - backs are much faster and tougher, little jinks that work in club games don't work as well. That said, he's played ok, had a goal chance in both games that he should have done better with but once he gets used to this level, he should become more clinical. Only the very top players (JOD for example) are able to make the step up almost immediately.

Over the Bar

Tell me those weren't Dublin fans running onto the field to celebrate winning a league match?  Cringe.  Drug  testing for fans should be introduced but only for Dubs.

maigheo

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 07, 2016, 03:04:06 PM
Quote from: maigheo on February 07, 2016, 02:51:26 PM

Wait until the end of the league. Can't judge the lad on two games so far.
Yeah you're probably right but would still be concerned by his inability to make any kind of space for himself when he gets possession.

Canalman

Game will have done both teams the power of good. Positives for both camps.

Thought Setanta coverage good but sloppy when it came to letting us know when substitutions were being made. For all its faults, the RTE coverage is good at that.

I know some posters here seem to have it in for him but I thought the ref had a very good game. From what I  saw on the telly he seemed to get most things right.

Sort of felt sorry for some of the players afterwards being swamped by autograph hunters when I am sure that was the last thing they wanted to do in the cold and wet.

highorlow

QuoteWait until the end of the league. Can't judge the lad on two games so far.

Correct. Difficult to judge any player so far. Winter football counts for nothing, it suits the big awkward Ulster teams better, i.e. Monaghan, Donegal and Tyrone.

Hopefully our next match will be on drier ground and calmer conditions and as the year goes on the more skillful teams will improve and be rewarded, i.e., ourselves and Kerry.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

mayo.mick

Quote from: Canalman on February 08, 2016, 10:22:35 AM

Thought Setanta coverage good but sloppy when it came to letting us know when substitutions were being made. For all its faults, the RTE coverage is good at that.

I know some posters here seem to have it in for him but I thought the ref had a very good game. From what I  saw on the telly he seemed to get most things right.

Sort of felt sorry for some of the players afterwards being swamped by autograph hunters when I am sure that was the last thing they wanted to do in the cold and wet.

Its a regular occurrence from our Mayo players. They don't mind and sometimes can be half an hour out on the pitch signing autographs and "Selfies" with the young fans! I think its brilliant that they do it
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

Syferus

Quote from: Canalman on February 08, 2016, 10:22:35 AM

Strange thing to complain about, autographs. I'm sure the kids would have been thrilled beyond belief so it was more than worth getting slightly more wet for.

Canalman

You picked me up completely wrong there lads.

larryin89

Quick fire question ,on what day did the Dublin team travel to Mayo for this game ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

heffo

Quote from: larryin89 on February 14, 2016, 04:03:37 PM
Quick fire question ,on what day did the Dublin team travel to Mayo for this game ?

Saturday, why?

larryin89

Quote from: heffo on February 14, 2016, 04:17:08 PM

Saturday, why?

Ahh no biggy really .

They travelled the same day as the game ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

heffo

Quote from: larryin89 on February 14, 2016, 04:44:29 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 14, 2016, 04:17:08 PM

Saturday, why?

Ahh no biggy really .

They travelled the same day as the game ?

Game was at 7pm.

For Sunday afternoon games away in Kerry/Mayo etc they'll travel the night before.

As Dinny et all keep telling us, staying in your own bed the night before the game is a massive advantage.