Mayo v Dublin NFL Div 1 2016

Started by Farrandeelin, February 02, 2016, 08:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2016, 10:08:43 PM
Good disciplined display from Mayo. Young lads stuck at it and fair play to them. Boyler set tone of not taking sh1te. This had to be done. Dublin who half cared about the game would have ran a muck otherwise. Tonight was all about the fight for Mayo with so many key players missing and we at least gave that. Tonight was not about entertainment but containment. The last thing we needed was to play football and get hockeyed and the young lads to leave with a bad experience.

Dublin had a point given that was clearly wide. Can't fathom why the linesman on our side who could see that it was, did not flag it to the referee? Maybe he does not have the power. Anyway made no difference, thenk god!

Cafferkey MOTM.

Our forwards were not in it and we can't get the best outta Aido in the Full forward line against the Dubs.

Still a positive performance and kudos to Rochford and Co.

Agree. It was reassuring to see management able to set us up defensively with so many of our top defenders not available.
Kicked too much early hopeful ball into our forwards when we may have done better holding on and being patient and probing for openings. All we did was give the ball back to Dubs. Dublin kept possession and were patient and probed for openings and get enough to win the game.

Still plenty of positives for us. As well as Caff and Boyle, Harrison was very good. Hall had a good debut as well in difficult conditions.

Higgins back as well. However Parsons appeared to pick up a strain of some sort. Gibbons did well when he came on too.

Our transition from defence to attack has been an issue but there's time to work things out. If we don t, wins in this league will be hard to come by.

Main Street

moysider

Was talking to Gay Sheerin (former Rossie Goalkeeper legend) after the game. I asked him if there was anything to worry him from the Mayo performance? And he said emphatically No! Mayo have no forwards and they don't look like they will find any!

Lol.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2016, 11:03:03 PM

Was talking to Gay Sheerin (former Rossie Goalkeeper legend) after the game. I asked him if there was anything to worry him from the Mayo performance? And he said emphatically No! Mayo have no forwards and they don't look like they will find any!

Lol.

He was a selector for Evans the last three years. Must have fancied our chances this coming year so  :-X

Mayo can dress it up all they want but they have a great middle third, the best half-backs in Ireland and dodgy inside lines at both ends of the field. Even COC still struggles to make enough of an impact from play. His brother has potential but it's little more than that right now.

The strange thing is even with those obvious flaws Mayo would be the second test team in Ireland by any metric you'd want to apply.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on February 06, 2016, 11:11:24 PM

Lol.

He was a selector for Evans the last three years. Must have fancied our chances this coming year so  :-X

Mayo can dress it up all they want but they have a great middle third, the best half-backs in Ireland and dodgy inside lines at both ends of the field. Even COC still struggles to make enough of an impact from play. His brother has potential but it's little more than that right now.

The strange thing is even with those obvious flaws Mayo would be the second test team in Ireland by any metric you'd want to apply.

Ah, people look to much to perfection to win titles. You don't need 15 Brilliant players to win a title. You need a good mix! Every title winning team has had weaknesses. The good ones are good at hiding them and working to their strengths.

And Sheerin was an excellent goalkeeper in his day. Always remember some Irish Banks ad on the telly back in the day and they had a clip of him fully stretched doing a point blank save. (The pun was you had to get saving!)

Think the clip used was at 3:35

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUmUjvbuXdw

Kurtz

I was at the game, I think on a dry day Dubs would have won by six or seven. Mayo doubled up on the Dublin forwards which left no space in there at all, but at the same time Mayo had nothing to offer up front themselves. Dublin seemed quite happy to run down the clock with hand passing and were never really in trouble. It was a physical match because of the weather no one was letting the ball long it was all possession hand passing and also because Mayo were crowding out the dubs up front.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on February 06, 2016, 11:29:07 PM

Lol.

Ah, people look to much to perfection to win titles. You don't need 15 Brilliant players to win a title. You need a good mix! Every title winning team has had weaknesses. The good ones are good at hiding them and working to their strengths.

And Sheerin was an excellent goalkeeper in his day. Always remember some Irish Banks ad on the telly back in the day and they had a clip of him fully stretched doing a point blank save. (The pun was you had to get saving!)

Gay was on the team in the Earley years and still on the panel when Duggan was kicking frees from another postcode in the early 90s. He was also manager in 1998 for those two epic Connacht finals when Galway's AI bandwagon was almost wrecked before it started. Some servant to Roscommon football.

Anyways, expected result this evening, even if the manner of it was a little strange. The Donegal game after the break will be the pivotal one for Mayo. Lose that and ye might be coming to the Hyde for a relegation playoff.

moysider

Quote from: Kurtz on February 06, 2016, 11:41:06 PM
I was at the game, I think on a dry day Dubs would have won by six or seven. Mayo doubled up on the Dublin forwards which left no space in there at all, but at the same time Mayo had nothing to offer up front themselves. Dublin seemed quite happy to run down the clock with hand passing and were never really in trouble. It was a physical match because of the weather no one was letting the ball long it was all possession hand passing and also because Mayo were crowding out the dubs up front.

Nah. The difference was that Dublin were patient and kept possession and probed for openings. Mayo forwards were also doubled up and crowded out. Dublin forwards offered nothing either. The match winning scores came from keep ball and probing runs from likes of McCaffrey, Cooper and McCarty. Mayo were silly and wasted good turn over possession on speculative ball into outnumbered forwards in brutal conditions. It was silly stuff. But to be expected maybe. Established team/management and assured plays v a team that's starting all over again. Mayo improved a lot in a week but lacked composure at times.

IolarCoisCuain

Lol.

It's a mystery, isn't it?  ::)

Beffs

I wonder if Kerry (with their 2014 AI win & 2015 AI final appearance) would have something to say about Mayo being the 2nd best team in the country?  ::)

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on February 06, 2016, 11:54:46 PM

Nah. The difference was that Dublin were patient and kept possession and probed for openings. Mayo forwards were also doubled up and crowded out. Dublin forwards offered nothing either. The match winning scores came from keep ball and probing runs from likes of McCaffrey, Cooper and McCarty. Mayo were silly and wasted good turn over possession on speculative ball into outnumbered forwards in brutal conditions. It was silly stuff. But to be expected maybe. Established team/management and assured plays v a team that's starting all over again. Mayo improved a lot in a week but lacked composure at times.

Dublin can only beat themselves this year . It's an exceptional bunch of players that won't be seen again . Quite impressed with Mayo . Second best team out there by some distance . They'll get there soon enough . Could be this year.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on February 07, 2016, 12:28:12 AM

Dublin can only beat themselves this year . It's an exceptional bunch of players that won't be seen again . Quite impressed with Mayo . Second best team out there by some distance . They'll get there soon enough . Could be this year.

Not sure about a team beating itself. But Dublin are clearly streets ahead, and unlikely to mess up imo.

As regards Mayo, I dunno? This management has a huge responsibility. Dublin players managed the game and conditions so well this evening. Mayo were better clued in from Cork and the effort could not be faulted but decision making at times was flawed. Address that and we might be ok.

Main Street

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 07, 2016, 12:19:37 AM

Lol.

It's a mystery, isn't it?  ::)
That would depend on the understanding of the metric involved.  wouldn't it?
Once one understands the metric that's involved, then there isn't that much mystery, is there?

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on February 07, 2016, 01:20:28 AM

Not sure about a team beating itself. But Dublin are clearly streets ahead, and unlikely to mess up imo.

As regards Mayo, I dunno? This management has a huge responsibility. Dublin players managed the game and conditions so well this evening. Mayo were better clued in from Cork and the effort could not be faulted but decision making at times was flawed. Address that and we might be ok.

It's the forwards that's killing you . You just can't pick off 4-5 points in a row against a good side . You always have to bust a gut for them . 2 inside  forwards needed

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on February 07, 2016, 09:51:11 AM
Quote from: moysider on February 07, 2016, 01:20:28 AM

It's the forwards that's killing you . You just can't pick off 4-5 points in a row against a good side . You always have to bust a gut for them . 2 inside  forwards needed

Yeah, I agree with you at a glance. But I do remember us getting a flurry of scores together against yoursevles last year in both games. And outside yourselves who is a good team? I mean really when you are measuring our AI title credentials it comes down to the Question can we be Dublin and not much else! That said that could all change this year with the emergence of a new County.