Mayo Medical Team should be Sacked

Started by dublin7, January 31, 2016, 07:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mouview

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2016, 04:37:45 PM
To be honest, I'm pretty annoyed at the ham-fisted way the Mayo management team dealt with this, the only saving grace being the statement which acknowledged the mistake.
All the papers today carry images of a clearly distressed Keegan being removed from the field of play 10 minutes after sustaining the initial injury.
This brings the association into disrepute, makes it look amateurish and makes a mockery of player welfare.
The only silver lining here is that hopefully the next time a medical team is faced with this decision,this incident and the subsequent uproar will be at the forefront of their minds.
It shouldn't take that, but if the end result is a player not being put back in harms way, I'll live with it.

To make things worse, TV showed clips of Keegan sitting in the dugout, holding his head in his hands, without wearing a tracksuit top or other cover. Sideline mentors should always instruct subbed players to put on layers when coming off, avoid chills or worse ailments.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 01, 2016, 09:29:57 AM
How many of you were actually at the game yesterday?

I kept an eye on Keegan afterwards, I saw him run for two defensive tackles, one in particular he was moving forward to join the attack which broke down, turned assessed which player he should track back after and then tore down the field to tackle the man with the ball, it was right under the main stand.

To say he was clearly in distress is pure nonsense. Yes leaving the pitch he was clearly in distress but prior to that there were no signs. Maybe he should have been taken off at the time, I thought the game was over, why wouldn't they. But to use it to have a cheap shot at a medical team who have a day job is bollix.

Spot on Mayo4Sam. This thread is a textbook case of hurling from the ditch and second-guessing.

The Mayo medical team put their hands up to a mistake that they might not have even made (as per references to the second collision which may have been the one that did for him). Nothing else they could do.

Maybe the GPA could do some research on setting up a concussion protocol. It won't buy them as many friends in the media as bringing everyone over the Boston on the tear in the bleak midwinter, but maybe it'd be a bit closer to their purported remit.

Also, Cadogan and Keegan exchanged tweets saying no hard feelings last night and this morning. That should go on a record somewhere too.

Jinxy

What has the two of them tweeting each other got to do with anything?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2016, 09:28:12 PM

It's a show of sportsmanship. Sportsmanship used to be something we valued, once.

mayo.mick

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 01, 2016, 09:30:27 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 01, 2016, 09:28:12 PM

It's a show of sportsmanship. Sportsmanship used to be something we valued, once.

Eoin Cadogan ‏@cads3  Jan 31
Fair and whole hearted challenge today between myself and @leeroykeegan.Speedy recovery mate👍#emptiedeachother🙈
70 retweets 400 likes
Reply   Retweet  70   
Like 400 
More

Lee Keegan ‏@leeroykeegan  Jan 31
@cads3 all good buddy! Same to you, well deserved today 👍 #airheads
RETWEETS
Kevin KavanaghDeirdreColin StuartCormac phillipsShaunaSean MooreCianan McCannKevinmorleyKevin Gibbons
8:57 PM - 31 Jan 2016 ยท Details
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

BennyHarp

Do we always have to call for sackings these days?
That was never a square ball!!

moysider

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 01, 2016, 09:57:23 PM
Do we always have to call for sackings these days?

+1. The fella that started and titled this thread should be banned!

INDIANA

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 01, 2016, 09:20:26 PM

I kept an eye on Keegan afterwards, I saw him run for two defensive tackles, one in particular he was moving forward to join the attack which broke down, turned assessed which player he should track back after and then tore down the field to tackle the man with the ball, it was right under the main stand.

To say he was clearly in distress is pure nonsense. Yes leaving the pitch he was clearly in distress but prior to that there were no signs. Maybe he should have been taken off at the time, I thought the game was over, why wouldn't they. But to use it to have a cheap shot at a medical team who have a day job is bollix.

Spot on Mayo4Sam. This thread is a textbook case of hurling from the ditch and second-guessing.

The Mayo medical team put their hands up to a mistake that they might not have even made (as per references to the second collision which may have been the one that did for him). Nothing else they could do.

Maybe the GPA could do some research on setting up a concussion protocol. It won't buy them as many friends in the media as bringing everyone over the Boston on the tear in the bleak midwinter, but maybe it'd be a bit closer to their purported remit.

Also, Cadogan and Keegan exchanged tweets saying no hard feelings last night and this morning. That should go on a record somewhere too.

Concussion protocol is after a smack like that you leave the field.

to say anything else is bullshit

Had Keegan received another blow to the head in those ten minutes we could be having a different conversation

Rory O Carroll was he same in 2013- all ireland or no all ireland he should have been taken off. Had he been he wouldn't be taking a year out now.

Anyone trying to compare that to a hamstring is deranged. We've all finished out matches injured

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2016, 10:53:32 PM

Had Keegan received another blow to the head in those ten minutes we could be having a different conversation

Rory O Carroll was he same in 2013- all ireland or no all ireland he should have been taken off. Had he been he wouldn't be taking a year out now.

Anyone trying to compare that to a hamstring is deranged. We've all finished out matches injured

I've never finished out a match  :'(
The apple never falls far from the tree.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on February 01, 2016, 10:53:32 PM

True. While Keegan did not get another direct belt to the head after, he was working hard and would have been in contact again. As already been said it doesn t need another head hit for things to get serious. Any jarring or whiplash will cause further scrambling of the brain. Scary stuff.
Maybe this incident will cause some guidelines to be brought in and stuff like this does not happen. The Mayo doctor wanted him off, that was clear. When Keegan insisted on being ok, and on continuing ( and got thick about it), what then?
I think the ref. should make the decision that the player is taken off for assessment (like a blood situation), when the doctor has misgivings about a head injury. If there was a system in place then players would not have any veto about their condition to continue and that would be safer imo. Players accept when they are bleeding they have to come off for treatment. This would become normal practice with head injuries as well.

Nihilist

Quote from: twohands!!! on February 02, 2016, 09:13:44 AM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/toms-s-my-jaw-was-broken-i-was-concussedi-was-cryingi-still-would-have-trained-with-kerry-the-following-night-if-it-was-on-34415483.html

I wouldn't be too hard on the Mayo medical people , but I would like to see definite procedures in place (for all levels)

Hi last sentence in that article is the real predicament that faces players and teams at IC level. It's easy be wise after the fact but it's when so much is on the line and who is going to win out that's the real call. I also have a feeling this whole issue will get a lot more airtime as the year goes on. 

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2016, 12:05:15 AM

True. While Keegan did not get another direct belt to the head after, he was working hard and would have been in contact again. As already been said it doesn t need another head hit for things to get serious. Any jarring or whiplash will cause further scrambling of the brain. Scary stuff.
Maybe this incident will cause some guidelines to be brought in and stuff like this does not happen. The Mayo doctor wanted him off, that was clear. When Keegan insisted on being ok, and on continuing ( and got thick about it), what then?
I think the ref. should make the decision that the player is taken off for assessment (like a blood situation), when the doctor has misgivings about a head injury. If there was a system in place then players would not have any veto about their condition to continue and that would be safer imo. Players accept when they are bleeding they have to come off for treatment. This would become normal practice with head injuries as well.

In soccer if a player goes down and someone comes on the field to treat them the player must leave and re-enter the field of play before they can re-join the match. This should be the same case in GAA. If a guy is down and doctors need to treat him he should leave the field of play for some sort of assessment. I don't think it be down to the ref to administer this either. They have enough to do.

Jinxy

The management teams associated with every squad in the country need to sit their players down and let them know in no uncertain terms that it is the medical team's call.
None of this "He wanted to go back on" rubbish.
What sort of an excuse is that when the player hardly knows which way is up or down?
The medical team need to know they have the full support of the management in this.
As has been pointed out, there is an exponential increase in risk when you put someone who already has a brain injury back on the field in a physical team sport.
Their capacity to protect themselves is greatly reduced and that second impact can tip the scales and make a situation irretrievable, similar to the case of that poor young lad playing schools rugby up the north.
No player should be lauded either for 'getting on with it'.
Look at american football.
Look at professional wrestling.
Look at boxing.
Wait and see what happens in rugby.
It is an appalling tragedy to see the utter devastation that acquired brain injury can wreak on the lives of current and former athletes, and their families.
We're talking depression, addiction, suicide, assaults, murders.
This isn't another one of those 'modern' creations that we can pay lip service to from a PR perspective whilst not really taking it seriously.
The potential consequences are very real.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Can we change the thread title to something more meaningful - this is a worthwhile discussion to have..