NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 30, 2016, 07:55:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2016, 07:43:15 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 30, 2016, 07:23:19 PM
Here's a question.

Was McStay player manager when Roscommon Gaels were beaten by Ballina in the Connacht Club, way back in 2004, or something.

He was the manager. Last time Ros Gaels have been anything but paper tigers in Roscommon. McStay was actually FOD's manager that year.

McStay would have been about 42.

Yep. Won the county title. Ironically the last man to do it before St. Brigids started their journey to the AI.

Wildweasel74

Thats some trimming Down got, Down 0.07 Donegal 3.15, Donegal still the best bet for Ulster this year, Down going in reverse.

skeog

down team wouldnt survive in div 2 never mind div 1 some display by donegal though

Itchy

Quote from: skeog on January 30, 2016, 08:44:08 PM
down team wouldnt survive in div 2 never mind div 1 some display by donegal though

Always thought they were lucky to go up but Christ did they look out of their depth tonight. Certs to go down.

Captain Obvious

Nightmare return to division one for Down if they don't improve they will do as Westmeath did and lose all seven games.

bennydorano

Has Ryan McHugh gained an inch or two? Looks taller as well as having filled out a bit. Could be a very big year for him.

Tried to watch both games but Down looked rubbish, also think they'd get relegated from Div 2.

Kerry wont be heartbroken tonight.

Farrandeelin

Bloody hell... If Mayo lose tomorrow, we may be in bother to stay up. Dublin and Donegal complete the first three games
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rudi

Quote from: Itchy on January 30, 2016, 08:46:43 PM

Always thought they were lucky to go up but Christ did they look out of their depth tonight. Certs to go down.

Down were not lucky to go up, the standard in Div 2 last year was poor. Who in your opinion should have went up instead of Down? The only team I can think of is Galway.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Rudi on January 30, 2016, 09:25:35 PM

Down were not lucky to go up, the standard in Div 2 last year was poor. Who in your opinion should have went up instead of Down? The only team I can think of is Galway.

I think Down were the least poor of a poor bunch last year.

Syferus

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 30, 2016, 09:28:54 PM

Getting well beaten twice by us would say differently.

Itchy

Thought they were lucky to win a few games. Anyone who got a bit of luck could've went up instead and would probably get the same beatings Down are going to get.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2016, 09:31:30 PM

Calm yourself there Syf, I meant Down and Roscommon were the least poor of a poor bunch. We finished top of the league proper from what I remember though, which wouldn't say differently. Don't think you can include the final owing to some of the calls on the day.

Syferus

Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 30, 2016, 09:36:40 PM

Calm yourself there Syf, I meant Down and Roscommon were the least poor of a poor bunch. We finished top of the league proper from what I remember though, which wouldn't say differently. Don't think you can include the final owing to some of the calls on the day.

It was a near mirror image of the league game up in Newry though. We lost to Laois which was probably the freak result of the whole division. I think Down let themselves be pushed around too easily, I remember some Down posters commenting on how much bigger our lads were compared to theirs last year but I'd have never considered us a particularly big or physical side. I can't see Down doing a Westmeath and just losing every match in D1 despite this start.

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 30, 2016, 08:53:20 PM
Nightmare return to division one for Down if they don't improve they will do as Westmeath did and lose all seven games.
I agree, if a team does not improve after a game in which they were absolutely hammered, they will lose every game.

This punditry gig can be really taxing in order to come up good original analysis about a game.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on January 30, 2016, 09:47:44 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 30, 2016, 09:36:40 PM

It was a near mirror image of the league game up in Newry though. We lost to Laois which was probably the freak result of the whole division. I think Down let themselves be pushed around too easily, I remember some Down posters commenting on how much bigger our lads were compared to theirs last year but I'd have never considered us a particularly big or physical side. I can't see Down doing a Westmeath and just losing every match in D1 despite this start.

Yeah I can remember the physicality comments and I agree with them, even now. Didn't think we looked that small tonight though, thankfully. I can well see us doing a Westmeath though, I don't think we're good enough - our only realistic chance of a win will be next week against Monaghan or against yourselves. I can't see it coming next week so we'll just have to see what we're like a few weeks time.