NFL Division 1

Started by macdanger2, January 26, 2016, 10:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on March 07, 2016, 12:56:54 AM
Rory Kavanagh was definitely involved in a lot of handbag shite, and even Christy Toye, of all people, was constantly grappling people after he came on, presumably to slow them down. Kerry were every bit as bad, but from our perspective, it's getting to be too much. Fair enough, stand your ground and don't be bullied, but there has to be a limit.

Poor Ryan McHugh takes massive abuse each game ( does he ever NOT get done with a high tackle?), but just gets on with it.

It's a pity he's surrounded by so many players who seem to revel in being villains. By all accounts a good lad on and off the field.

Conallach

Looks like it's Rory's team now, for better or worse! An awful lot was made of little after the Mayo match, but I wasn't pleased with the attitude and discipline today. Aside from holding the team to a moral standard that I probably don't always meet myself - that sort of approach isn't going to help you win any matches!

About the specific incidents, Donaghy's was an awful way to start the game, and just an awful challenge, while both lads should have been off for the first red. Neither the provocation nor reaction was ok. The black cards were fine - harmless challenges really but black cards by rule. Shame for both players. I was annoyed with the amount of whinging that our lads did to the ref, especially Hugh McFadden, who could really stand to cut that out of his game. There was a million things going on, but to be honest, I'd rather not get caught reflecting too long on what the opposition did or didn't do, I just hope that Rory enforces a new attitude and approach, starting in the Roscommon match because that wasn't nice to watch and that attitude won't stand to you.

Now that that's out of the way, it was something of a spoiled game, but both teams can take plenty from it. Thought Donnachadh Walsh, Fionn Fitzgerald and Ryan McHugh were very good. Perhaps Kerry finished with a stronger team than they started with, although Colm Cooper was way, way off the pace and struggled to get and stay in position to deal with runners. Might be time for a tweaked role for him, as I'm sure that he still has plenty to offer.

Kerry should be quite happy, with the points and more importantly with the stress placed on the new players and a chance to see them in a very hard game. Donegal learned a tough lesson at the goal, and (although they weren't as bad as last week) at kick outs.

Conallach

Oh, I neglected to mention Leo's red. I love the fella, but a swing's a swing, and off you go I'm afraid. The lack of control and indiscipline in the approach to the ref and pushing matches with opponents spills over into the indisciplined tackling, I'm sure of it.

On a lighter note, delighted with the progress of the ladies team so far this year. They need to be in Div. 1 really and it looks like they might be next year.

Edited to add: It was a shame for the Kerry hurlers that their big day didn't go their way, and I hope they bounce back and give staying in 1B a real crack. I'm glad to see that the Donegal game next week is a double header with the hurlers too - hopefully they can give Down a match.

Syferus

I don't think there's any chance of Donegal cleaning their act up at this late stage of the day. You'd just hope younger lads like Mac Niallais, Jigger Jr., McHugh and McFadden aren't influenced by the macho nonsense. But then of course they will be. They probably look to the guys doing it.

No offence to the Donegal posters but it's clear as day to me that Rory from Fermanagh and the vets on that panel will take one look at Roscommon and reckon the best way to beat us is to bully us into submission. The ref will have his work cut out for him. Should be one hell of a challenge for a light and very young team to go to Ballybofey and take on the most physical team I've ever seen in football. Exciting times.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2016, 03:34:31 AM
No offence to the Donegal posters but it's clear as day to me that Rory from Fermanagh and the vets on that panel will take one look at Roscommon and reckon the best way to beat us is to bully us into submission.

No it's not. There may be cynicism in that Donegal team but there is also a lot of football in them. The cynicism you have seen has been against Mayo and Kerry who are probably their two biggest rivals for second spot and there is most likely some element of laying down a marker for the summer. No offense to Roscommon but Donegal hardly need to lay down a marker against them for the summer. They may be improving but they're unlikely to challenge Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Dublin this summer...

BluestackBoy

No offence to the Donegal posters but it's clear as day to me that Rory from Fermanagh and the vets on that panel will take one look at Roscommon and reckon the best way to beat us is to bully us into submission

I don't think it will be an issue next Sunday tbh. The games against Down & Cork were fine & there was nothing out of the way during the Mayo game either.

For some reason yesterday was a bad day at the office for everyone involved & hopefully the spotlight that will inevitably follow will ensure a good game.

The ironic thing is that messing doesn't suit this Donegal team who are playing some great football at the moment. Maybe that was Kerry's cunning plan all along.

You couldn't be up to them..................
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

JoG2

I want to know what yellowcard thinks ! The man must be exhausted after yesterday.

McGee is a fierce warrior, but can and often does overstep the mark...he got a slap for it, and deservedly so. God knows he'll accept it and move on a lot quicker than some non Donegal people on here!

Both teams acted the wag yesterday, and the vast majority of 'neutrals' secretly enjoyed it  ;)

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2016, 09:06:26 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2016, 03:34:31 AM
No offence to the Donegal posters but it's clear as day to me that Rory from Fermanagh and the vets on that panel will take one look at Roscommon and reckon the best way to beat us is to bully us into submission.

No it's not. There may be cynicism in that Donegal team but there is also a lot of football in them. The cynicism you have seen has been against Mayo and Kerry who are probably their two biggest rivals for second spot and there is most likely some element of laying down a marker for the summer. No offense to Roscommon but Donegal hardly need to lay down a marker against them for the summer. They may be improving but they're unlikely to challenge Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Dublin this summer...

Donegal rarely just play football.

imtommygunn

I think you're getting a bit carried away - the most physical team you've ever seen in football lol.

I suppose it depends on your age but Meath late 80s and early 90s made Donegal look like schollboys and Armagh were more physical in the early noughties. Good sensationalism though.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2016, 11:57:19 AM
I think you're getting a bit carried away - the most physical team you've ever seen in football lol.

I suppose it depends on your age but Meath late 80s and early 90s made Donegal look like schollboys and Armagh were more physical in the early noughties. Good sensationalism though.

Well I'm not David Blaine so of course it depends on my age. And no, it's not sensationalism - this Donegal use physicality like a weapon. Even Tyrone at their worst is more about sledging and pulling and dragging. They don't try to intimidate team like Donegal do, partly because they can't.

Don't accept it if you don't want to but Donegal have a rap sheet as long as Neil Gallagher's arms at this stage. It was a key part of what Jimmy introduced to get them over the line. I'd question how much use it really has been.

Jinxy

Donegal are very aggressive this year for some reason.
It's like they've got too much testosterone.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2016, 12:03:20 PM

Well I'm not David Blaine so of course it depends on my age. And no, it's not sensationalism - this Donegal use physicality like a weapon. Even Tyrone at their worst is more about sledging and pulling and dragging. They don't try to intimidate team like Donegal do, partly because they can't.

Don't accept it if you don't want to but Donegal have a rap sheet as long as Neil Gallagher's arms at this stage. It was a key part of what Jimmy introduced to get them over the line. I'd question how much use it really has been.

You have missed your calling in tabloid journalism. It was made for you.

I accept there are 4 or 5 in their team who are not whiter than white and that they have been coached to play on the "edge".  I don't accept they are the most physical team even in this era. You could apply the same to a few teams.

Yet again by the way Kerry get away with with not being the bad guys. Donaghy is as bad as most about. McGee is the worst defender at the minute but there were many before him.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 07, 2016, 12:37:53 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 07, 2016, 12:03:20 PM

You have missed your calling in tabloid journalism. It was made for you.

I accept there are 4 or 5 in their team who are not whiter than white and that they have been coached to play on the "edge".  I don't accept they are the most physical team even in this era. You could apply the same to a few teams.

Yet again by the way Kerry get away with with not being the bad guys. Donaghy is as bad as most about. McGee is the worst defender at the minute but there were many before him.

Kerry are the third biggest chancer when it comes to illegal stuff. They have good PR but just because they do doesn't mean Donegal or Tyrone should be let off any easier by the public.

BluestackBoy

Truth is, all the top teams are cynical in their own way & if Roscommon want to dine at the grown ups table then they will be too.

It's simply a fact of life in the GAA nowadays.
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Syferus

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 07, 2016, 01:27:03 PM
Truth is, all the top teams are cynical in their own way & if Roscommon want to dine at the grown ups table then they will be too.

It's simply a fact of life in the GAA nowadays.

We're well used to cynical play. But Donegal play so much on the edge they're usually a foot over the line. No team does it quite like Donegal. If anything it's getting worse under Jimmy's #2 as some of the worst offenders' legs are starting to go and they feel the need to get involved even more to unsettle their opposite numbers.