Meath v Armagh, NFL Div 2, Sunday 31 January, Pairc Tailteann, Navan

Started by BennyCake, January 26, 2016, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Depressing performance from Armagh.Was also at Down V Donegal game in Newry last night.Cant remember when County Football in the Armagh Down regions was at such a low ebb.Both are miles behind the pace in Ulster never mind the Dublins,Kerrys and Mayos.

smelmoth

Meath deserved to win. They looked far from top class and looked like they would be comfortable in Division 2 and with youth on their side could build from there.

Armagh looked a complete shambles. Keeper got stalled on his line a nuber of times and against a better side or in better conditions would have coughed up goals or goal chances.  Vernon was our best player by a distance.  The 2 defenders on debut did OK. Shields was poor, possibly not fit yet and deservedly subbed. Aidan Forker played ok. Some glimpses of his talent and at least 4 glimpses of his lack of discipline. Could have been sent off minutes before he actually was. Learned nothing. Captain material?? His brother did as well as could be expected given the job he was asked to do.

Donaghy was probably our best midfielder but that would not have been difficult. Took off with an ankle injury and would be a big miss if not available next week. Better luck another day for Sheridan but did nothing today. Was replaced at HT by Findon. Findon has the ability but he showed none of it today. Has a real problem with discipline and showed too much of that today - again. I would love to know what he thinks his role is? The whole kick out thing was a disaster. A difficult wind, almost straight down the field. We struggled with and against the wind. There was zero attempt at any variation. Where the blame lies between the keeper, the midfield and the management is anybody's guess, But it was an abject failure whomever was to blame.

The forward game went to pieces at HT. Obviously playing into the wind offers a different proposition but we had no plan for this at all. Playing a one man full forward line with guys who don't normally play there looked madness - especially with Campbell and Forker playing a full 70 mins down the other end.

We are not making things easy for ourselves

T Fearon

Meath were no great shakes either.I shudder to think how we'll fare against Tyrone,Derry,Galway.Maximum points needed from Laois and Fermanagh games,otherwise it's straight back to Division 3.

Tara Na Rí

I thought Meath had more left in the tank but they just lack a cutting edge when it comes to seeing out games. This could become a problem against the likes of Tyrone, Derry, Galway etc. In saying that, there is also a grittiness now in existence whereby they don't lose games easily. It's something that has been missing for the last number of years so it is certainly a welcome addition. The Westmeath game is probably still fesh in the memory and they want to learn from that. Think we are a little lightweight in the half back line but Donnacha Tobin and Bryan Menton should both improve this area when they return. Although Fermanagh were well-beaten in then end, I believe the final score didn't do their performance justice so I hope we are fully focused on that game alone. It would be great to head into the break with 4 points in the bag.
Meath Are Magic

BennyCake

Quote from: T Fearon on January 31, 2016, 09:27:04 PM
Meath were no great shakes either.I shudder to think how we'll fare against Tyrone,Derry,Galway.Maximum points needed from Laois and Fermanagh games,otherwise it's straight back to Division 3.

I agree.

But at least your entrance fees into the next few matches is sorted though ;)

illdecide

As long as them hoors next weekend don't beat us i'll be content with losing away to Meath :D
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on February 01, 2016, 02:14:13 PM
As long as them hoors next weekend don't beat us i'll be content with losing away to Meath :D

That's the British spirit, as they say in Queen's county.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mackers

The main problem I had yesterday was the lack of movement off the ball which meant we did not create space for each other.  The basic thing that a team must do playing into the wind to support your team mate by coming off his shoulder.  This didn't happen and it left Armagh going back and forward across the field when we were attacking.  Even with the wind there was little movement inside.  Stefan Campbell had a ball at halfway in the first half and looked up to see Gavin McParland standing behind two Meath defenders, he had to turn back and recycle to the groans of the Armagh supporters around me.  We needed to push up on Meath in the first half but we chose to play with extra defenders, Meath pushed up on us in the second half with good effect.
As others have said if we play like that against Derry or Tyrone we will be soundly beaten.  We have players to come back in but I would be very concerned.
I thought CV and Miceal McKenna were best for Armagh.  Aidan Forker's temperament is beyond a joke.  He took a heavy kick off a Meath man and from then on he was looking around for someone to hit, with the foul for the second yellow, stupid in the extreme.
Laois at home is a must win game, pure and simple.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

screenexile

Seriously though lads I'm no oil painting but what in God's name does Mickey Burke look like??!!

AZOffaly

BennyCake

fearsiuil

Jinxy

If I was any good with photoshop I'd have hours of fun putting one of these in Mickey Burke's hands in every picture I could find.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

armaghniac

Quote from: Hardy on February 01, 2016, 06:12:32 PM
Look at the terror on yer man's face.

He probably has eyes in the back of his head, or wing mirrors.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B