Meath v Armagh, NFL Div 2, Sunday 31 January, Pairc Tailteann, Navan

Started by BennyCake, January 26, 2016, 05:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 27, 2016, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 27, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
League games should only be 60 minutes long.

Championship games 50 minutes?

Once you go 10 points ahead the ref should just blow it up.
Why prolong the agony?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

BennyCake

Quote from: No wides on January 27, 2016, 03:36:07 PM
I would expect more of the same from Armagh, inability to score and even worse at defending, Armagh will do well to stay up this year.

I'd agree with that.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on January 27, 2016, 03:51:40 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 27, 2016, 02:53:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 27, 2016, 02:45:23 PM
League games should only be 60 minutes long.

Championship games 50 minutes?

Once you go 10 points ahead the ref should just blow it up.
Why prolong the agony?

True, sure there's no coming back from that.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Throw ball

Armagh team named:
McNeice
McCaughley Vernon Shields
Heffron Donaghy A. Forker
Findon Grimley
Campbell McKenna S Forker
McParland O'Hanlon McVerry

I would calculate 9 changes from the last time the teams met and about the same from Armagh's last championship game.

Tara Na Rí

I don't know a lot about Armagh football but there seems to be a few regulars missing off that. Half forward line is perhaps the biggest threat to Meath which is interesting as our half back line may be inexperienced, well going by our O'Byrne Cup selections anyway. Are there many debutants in that team?
Meath Are Magic

Throw ball

Quote from: Tara Na Rí on January 29, 2016, 12:24:45 AM
I don't know a lot about Armagh football but there seems to be a few regulars missing off that. Half forward line is perhaps the biggest threat to Meath which is interesting as our half back line may be inexperienced, well going by our O'Byrne Cup selections anyway. Are there many debutants in that team?

McCaughley, Heffron and Grimley are debutants. Aidan Forker would normally be wing forward for Armagh, although he can play at 6 for his club. Stefan Forker, McParland and McVerry have been on the squad for a while. McKenna would be in his second year.

Tara Na Rí

Interesting choice from McGeeney to put Aidan Forker at half back then if that's the case. My guess would be that he'll pick up Graham Reilly and try to expose him defensively. Reilly kicked six points from play in the O'Byrne Cup final but if he's on Aidan Forker, then he'll have to do a lot more tracking back which would put him off his own game. Graham can be quite ineffective offensively in these scenarios so on the face of it, it looks like a really smart move from McGeeney
Meath Are Magic

tonto1888

Quote from: Throw ball on January 29, 2016, 12:38:41 AM

McCaughley, Heffron and Grimley are debutants. Aidan Forker would normally be wing forward for Armagh, although he can play at 6 for his club. Stefan Forker, McParland and McVerry have been on the squad for a while. McKenna would be in his second year.

what are the new and newish fellas like? Living in Manchester I dont get to see any club football these days. Im home next weekend mindyou and will be at the Athletic Grounds

illdecide

Quote from: Throw ball on January 29, 2016, 12:17:11 AM
Armagh team named:
McNeice
Findon Grimley

I would calculate 9 changes from the last time the teams met and about the same from Armagh's last championship game.

A few lads getting their chance and TBH i was expecting a stronger team than that, there are obviously injuries and players unavailable. The young Cash man McCaughley gets his chance along with Lurgan man Shea Heffron but maybe one of the two new boys playing on the right side could switch sides however i'd be relatively happy with the defence. Don't know a big pile about young Grimley but throw him in and see what he's got, Findon can play rightly when he stops the hard man image (Ref's will be watching him this year).
Half forwards are decent with Campbell being the stand out candidate, S Forker has great talent but always seemed to be on the fringes (maybe lack of work rate but seems to have played his way back into the team). The FF line could destroy you or not get a touch (if that makes sense)...I'd say Meath won't be playing from a full deck either so it'll probably be a 50/50 game with possibly the team with the stronger bench winning it. (or what about the draw)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Throw ball

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 29, 2016, 07:14:03 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 29, 2016, 12:38:41 AM

what are the new and newish fellas like? Living in Manchester I dont get to see any club football these days. Im home next weekend mindyou and will be at the Athletic Grounds

Must confess I do not know a great deal about McCaughley. He did OK in a McKenna when there were very few defenders playing to guide him. Heffron has all the quality needed to be there for a long time. All he needs is work and luck. Grimley is a footballer the old timers will love. Can catch and run with the ball and is always looking to kick pass rather than fist the ball. May take him a while to come to terms physically with county football.

Of the others McKenna is a good footballer but may in the short term be seen as cover for Dyas.

Oraisteach

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on January 29, 2016, 12:17:11 AM
Armagh team named:
McNeice
Findon Grimley

Decent team. Probably as good as we can put out given the opt outs, injuries and club duties.
Shileds will definitely come out leaving Vernon with either Heaffron or McCaughley in the back line.
Would expect McVerry to drop back and him and Aidan to break from wide positions. There is still 3 to sit in the half back line and I don't think Findon will come very far forward.

Would like to see see Stefan Forker and O'Hanlon swap but not sure McGeeney will go that way.

Dyas is on the bench and his contribution might be critical. A little short on quality kick passers in that team
What is the Meath selection.

T Fearon

Lot of Lurgan men in the team just like the old days.We have a reasonable record in Navan and a win would be a morale booster

Tara Na Rí

Has Jamie Clarke dropped himself off the Armagh panel this year? He gave Keogan a bit of a roasting the last time he was in Navan. No sign of a team sheet from ourselves which is a bit frustrating!
Meath Are Magic

Hardy

Quote from: Tara Na Rí on January 29, 2016, 11:53:39 PM
Has Jamie Clarke dropped himself off the Armagh panel this year? He gave Keogan a bit of a roasting the last time he was in Navan. No sign of a team sheet from ourselves which is a bit frustrating!

I'm very sorry to do this to you, but consider it an initiation ordeal:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=26578.0