NFL Division 4

Started by Give and Go, January 25, 2016, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Give and Go

They may all be bound for the B Championship if the President has his way but I bet all 8 teams are as eager and looking forward to the start of the League as Derry or Tyrone who showed some appetitive for football last Saturday night!
Most of the teams have had a good pre season:
Leitrim moving well in the FBD.
Wexford have PJ Banville back in the panel and they have some talented forwards available - Ben Brosnan, Adrian Flynn and they will be looking to bounce right back to Div 3.
Louth have fallen a long way from the robbery of their Leinster Final defeat to Meath but they seem to have turned the corner this year with a very good O Byrne Cup run.
Antrim got a bad start last year but they seem to be buzzing now and with all the lads back are probably joint favourites with Wexford.
Carlow drew in Belfast last year but faded as the league went on, they can never sustain it.
Wicklow likewise.
Waterford gone backwards since they won the McGrath Cup last year.
London can be a banana skin for travelling teams.
They may not be able to keep it kick out to the top ten but all these teams are putting a massive effort in and it would be great to see them making real progress later in the year in the Championship.

SaffronHeart

Would hope Antrim get promoted the fixtures fall kindly this year with Louth and Wexford at home. A well managed Carlow are a tough start though as we found to our cost last year. Leitrim also seem to be going well with mulligan back and a few sigerson players. In saying all this I would be extremely disappointed if the team didn't get promoted with the quality we have, I hope the 11 returning college players can gel quickly and if so we will be a force.

imtommygunn

Unfortunately I don't think antrim merit being favourites but we will see how it goes. There are some good players back but the question is are they good players for antrim level or good players. Hopefully the latter. Carlow a tough start but if we win that hopefully can set us up well.

Catch and Kick

Antrim should be aiming to be in Division 2 with the players available to them. They slipped up last year but the panel wasn't as strong. Should win the Division.

Farrandeelin

I just noticed Louth are down in Division 4. Themselves and Antrim will surely go up.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 29, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
I just noticed Louth are down in Division 4. Themselves and Antrim will surely go up.
Hard to place trust in Antrim. Wexford,Louth for promotion instead of them.

stevecw

Promotion will be 2 of Louth, Antrim & Wexford. Those 3 will be a level above the rest over 7 games. Leitrim might have a run at it, but fall short. Wicklow have lost so many important players to retirement at once that they will suffer badly. Waterford might improve a bit and get a couple of wins but won't be involved in top half of table. London keep getting better and might pick up a win or 2 in Ruislip.

As for my own Carlow, well wouldn't hold out much hope of doing well at all. Seriously lacking this year is quality backs last years full back is out with a cruciate injury and the only other top full back is playing hurling instead so we basically don't have a full back. Conceded very soft scores in the O'byrne Cup as a result.

Have 2 good forwards back involved which means we should score a bit more, and with Brendan Murphy at midfield we will always win at least 50% of ball at mf. But our backline is seriously weak and I can see teams scoring a lot against us. 4 away games and just the 3 at home means we will we be in bottom 3 in Div 4 this year sadly.

Gold

It's good we have a few players back.

Defence is pourous though. Let's see how we go

Hope you're right to be pessimistic Stevecw
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

101 people in attendance at the Carlow Antrim game yesterday, I can see this b championship being a roaring success.

AQMP

Big game for Antrim on Sunday, home to Wexford at fortress Corrigan Park.  A win here would be a bit of a bonus as I'd have Wexford and Louth as the favourites for promotion.

Gold

Tight league

Ourselves, louth and Wicklow all 2 out of 2

Long long way to go yet
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

AQMP

Quote from: Gold on February 07, 2016, 05:09:06 PM
Tight league

Ourselves, louth and Wicklow all 2 out of 2

Long long way to go yet

Yeah, it looks like Div 4 is going to be quite competitive this year.  Unusually, Antrim have got off to a good start!

imtommygunn

That's twice in a week antrim teams, who've never been construed as physical ever before, have been called physical by opposition!

Catch and Kick

Antrim seem to have a case to answer:

[url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/wexford-coach-mattie-forde-facing-possible-ban-after-leitrim-incident-34435706.html/url]

[url]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/we-didnt-target-carlow-star-says-angry-mccann-34427962.html/url]

Seems too much of a coincidence that the opposition in their first two matches have been so vocal about incidents...a pity if they adopt a 'winning is all that matters' approach to the game.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Catch and Kick on February 09, 2016, 06:05:26 PM
Antrim seem to have a case to answer:

[url]http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/wexford-coach-mattie-forde-facing-possible-ban-after-leitrim-incident-34435706.html/url]

[url]http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/we-didnt-target-carlow-star-says-angry-mccann-34427962.html/url]

Seems too much of a coincidence that the opposition in their first two matches have been so vocal about incidents...a pity if they adopt a 'winning is all that matters' approach to the game.

That Power lad comes across as an awful crybaby.

Cribbing about Armagh last year and Fergal Doherty.