Nfl div 3

Started by sligoman2, January 25, 2016, 01:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Heard the atmosphere at the Kildare v Longford game was poor. Like neither the players nor the crowd wanted to be there.

Poor game by all accounts and Kildare had plenty in reserve at all times.

Away to Sligo next. Need to pick up at least one win on the road or else we'll be joining Westmeath (  ;) ) in Division 4 in 2017.

Croí na hÉireann

So Longford holding on to our coattails is not just related to the election  ;D
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 01, 2016, 09:53:15 AM
Heard the atmosphere at the Kildare v Longford game was poor. Like neither the players nor the crowd wanted to be there.

Poor game by all accounts and Kildare had plenty in reserve at all times.

Away to Sligo next. Need to pick up at least one win on the road or else we'll be joining Westmeath (  ;) ) in Division 4 in 2017.

A man on the terrace said there would be more life at a wake.

He was correct.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Shamrock Shore

Good win for Longford away to Sligo. A couple of more points and there should be tenancy in Div 3.

Westmeath look in serious danger of the chop....just as well sterling is weakening for their trip to London in 2017.......

Our game v them could be extremely significant.

magpie seanie

Horrible performance from Sligo yesterday. Got and early goal and when Longford pulled back level got another one but went an awful long time with no score and were beaten before we raised any sort of gallop. Most dispiriting though was the last few minutes when we had a two man advantage and the gap actually widened.

I'll try and offer some positives. When Kevin McDonnell made a few runs forward in the second half it lifted us. He's wasted at full back. Another option has to be found at 3. Centre back might be the spot for Kevin or midfield. Adrian McIntyre really added some physicality and competitiveness around the middle when he came in. We need him as a regular starter.

There are many negatives unfortunately. A few passengers trading on their reputations should be jettisoned in my view. Some of the substitutions yesterday confused me. Unless there were injuries that were not obvious it's hard to understand. Our kickouts once again would give you heart failure. Some good ones but several really bad ones - high floaters to an isolated man who gets nailed under them and a few straight out over the sideline. There are one or two young lads who are not yet up to it being persisted with too. You might say - who else is there? I can only speak of lads I know but I know a few who were never asked in or dropped who are more physically able for this level. They're now playing Niall Murphy inside in the forwards which is grand unless like yesterday he's not seeing the ball for long periods. He needs to be on the ball a lot more I think, ideally closer to goal but his passing is well ahead of most also. 

Leaving the game people were saying it was the worst for a long time. I'd put the Fermanagh (I think) game last year down as worse but you'd have to wonder what's the future. I understand there's little prospect of Ross Donovan returning and the David Kelly situation is unclear.

Croí na hÉireann

Hard to make sense of the Westmeath lads these days. You could maybe understand the Sligo performance on the back of the fact that they had a load of players missing and weren't supposed to be going great at all. But to go down to Clare and put in a non performance like that suggests there is something seriously wrong in the panel. A must win game to have any chance of staying the the promotion hunt, never mind getting off the bottom of the table, and for not a single soul to put in a credible effort beggars belief. We were completely clueless for our own kick outs as well as gifting them possession on theirs and the absence of a game plan, effort and belief was shocking to see. I doubt any team has dropped from Division 1 to 4 in successive seasons but there's only one county in Ireland that could mix the sublime with the absolute ridiculous. And it's most definitely on now.

FermGael

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 07, 2016, 10:31:30 AM
Hard to make sense of the Westmeath lads these days. You could maybe understand the Sligo performance on the back of the fact that they had a load of players missing and weren't supposed to be going great at all. But to go down to Clare and put in a non performance like that suggests there is something seriously wrong in the panel. A must win game to have any chance of staying the the promotion hunt, never mind getting off the bottom of the table, and for not a single soul to put in a credible effort beggars belief. We were completely clueless for our own kick outs as well as gifting them possession on theirs and the absence of a game plan, effort and belief was shocking to see. I doubt any team has dropped from Division 1 to 4 in successive seasons but there's only one county in Ireland that could mix the sublime with the absolute ridiculous. And it's most definitely on now.

Fermanagh did it not so long ago
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: FermGael on March 07, 2016, 10:54:00 AM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on March 07, 2016, 10:31:30 AM

Fermanagh did it not so long ago

Did they? When?

FermGael

Just checked and got it wrong.
We were promoted in division 2 in 2008.
We were then relegated from division 2 in 08 and division 3 in 09.
We completely imploded in 2010
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Shamrock Shore

I am not aware of a complete run down through the leagues - but remember with lots of rejuggles in the past (how else remembers Div 3 North and Div 3 South) it's hard to compare.

But Longford have had some record over the past few seasons

Div 4 to Div 3 to Div 2 to Div 3 to Dive 4 to Div 3 in the past 5 years or so.

We need a bit of stability just to get some roots down.

Is there war in Westmeath? Any lads off the panel that should be off the panel? Seems to be a horror show for sure.

magpie seanie

SS - I thought ye were the better team throughout. Quinn is some footballer, really anchors the team well from CB. Kavanagh played really well at chf, had only ever seen him in ff line. Not sure of names but number 15 was really good too. All told looked a well balanced outfit that knew what ye were about. Lost a couple through injury early and a few to cards late but didn't panic.

Croí na hÉireann

Was having trouble remembering Fermanagh in Division 1 alright. Remember them there when it was 1A and 1B but not four division of 1 to 4. We've been up and down ourselves since the reconfiguration of the divisions in 2008.

2008 Div 2
2009 Div 1
2010 Div 2
2011 Div 3
2012 Div 2
2013 Div 2
2014 Div 1
2015 Div 2
2016 Div 3

On the move every year apart from 1, doesn't augur well for avoiding the drop this year. At least the missus might start going to games again next year. And by games I mean the trip to London.

Just general apathy SS. Couple of injuries but no one staying in exile who would walk on to the team. You could put a PhD together about this lot.

panc56

If Longford and Offaly were to beat Tipp and Clare next weekend it would setup a couple of great fixtures to see who takes 2nd spot. 4/1 double or thereabouts.

sligoman2

Great result today for Sligo.  As often times before, when no one expects them to get a result, they get a result.  Listened to it on the radio and by all accounts it was a good game and Sligo deserved the win.  Kildare were down to 14 men for the last 20 minutes.
We're still not safe, need a win against Limerick and hope Westmeath or some other teams lose.

Our fate is in our own hands, very surprised to see both Tipp and Clare losing today.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Shamrock Shore

Jazes Sligoman - where did that come from? Well done on beating the Lillies in Newbridge. I am sure that result ruined 99.99% of accumulators.

Losing to Longford at home and beating Kildare away - yiz don't choose the easy option, that's for sure.

Nick and nick now in the Division.

Division 3

Pos. Team P W D L F A Pts.
1 Kildare 5 4 0 1 8-57 4-54 8
2 Longford 5 3 0 2 2-67 6-51 6
3 Clare 5 3 0 2 5-60 2-50 6
4 Offaly 5 3 0 2 2-60 4-58 6
5 Tipperary 5 2 2 1 8-46 3-59 6
6 Sligo 5 2 0 3 5-56 6-64 4
7 Westmeath 5 1 1 3 4-56 5-53 3
8 Limerick 5 0 1 4 3-48 7-61 1

Anyone like to predict the winners and losers now?

Winners: Kildare and, eh..........
Losers: Limerick and, eh..........