Cork v Mayo 31/01/16

Started by larryin89, January 21, 2016, 05:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mclf

Quote from: larryin89 on January 31, 2016, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 31, 2016, 07:47:15 PM
Quote from: galwayman on January 31, 2016, 07:44:31 PM
I wouldn't panic lads.It's January at the end of the day.
Most seasons in the last 5 seasons ye have taken a tanking in one game or other in the league which had no bearing on the season to follow.

At the end of the day ye are miles better than the rest of us in Connacht right now & ye're season doesn't really start until August.
That's the sad reality for the rest of us in Connacht at the moment.

Speak for yerselves lads. We had as many injuries as Mayo today and didn't ship a hammering against a better side. It's a pity Galway of all counties feel downtrodden enough to consider Connacht a no-hope prospect.

Blah blah blah , you never stfu do ya.

;D

highorlow

Awful day for Ross with Westmeath getting bate also  ;)
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

Generally in the opening 10 or 15 minutes you can get a sense of what the team is going to do for the rest of the match, if they're up for it or not etc. Today, it was grim reading from the start. The spark, or whatever you want to call it wasn't there early on. OK, we had got level early on, but to me it was in a way undeserved. The flatness continued until the game was out of sight, and as I said earlier the last 5 points in a row put a gloss on the performance.

I must say that the so-called inexperienced players were not to blame. I thought our more 'regulars' were not firing on all cylinders today. Keegan, Boyle and McLoughlin (when he was on) excepted. I don't know what the management are trying to do with Parsons, he's either in the middle of the field or he's not. Why he was in the edge of the square now and again, I don't know - maybe it was to land frees in on top of him, but it didn't make sense. I thought Gibbons struggled today as well. Cork more or less broke even at midfield and I didn't expect that coming.

I could go on about Vaughan and his inability to defend, I won't bother - however we must find a number 6 who can command that position. It's not exactly rocket science for a half back to sit back after delivering the ball, especially today when the moves broke down on a constant basis. Maybe he was instructed to follow the ball and leave space for the Cork forwards to operate, I don't know but he's always at it so I'm not sure if it was a management directive.

To compound our negatives, Keegan and McLoughlin are unlikely to start the next day, against Dublin.

The few positives are Harrison, and Conor O'Shea, yes I'll admit I'm not his biggest fan, but he improved in the second half I must say. I suppose we shouldn't apportion too much blame on the two new Garrymore men, who didn't do an awful lot wrong for the result. Caff held his own too. Hennelly was my 'Mayo' man of the match and that says it all when the keeper gets that award.

Fair dues to Cork, they could have won it by more if they wanted, they showed our forwards how to kick with the breeze and how to kick against the breeze, although the breeze seemed to have died a little in the second half when we were shooting with it.

Really hope Keegan is ok. I winced on my seat when the collision happened.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Mayo4Sam

I heard a lad behind me saying that mayo were going to get hammered in every match and that relegation has been coming for a few years, FFS!

Just a few things:

• This is what Cork do, for the rest of the league they won't hit the points they hit in the last 10 minutes of the first half. I had heard Goulding was flying, he was excellent yesterday
  • Its an away league match, thats all we've lost
  • I thought the first 15 minutes were good, I was happy out, we had the cork lads at arms length
  • It is very worrying that Rochford could not see that Cork were just fisting the ball back at us on our sickouts, all it took was someone to stand under it to win the breaks, or maybe not kick it out
  • Hennelly, for all his great saves, is a liability
  • Regan is not the messiah, looking at him yesterday he's at least a year away from being able for senior IC football, the little jinks and dummy solos get eaten up by good backs. And get your hands on the f**king ball before you start throwing the shoulder. And tackle, put some work in rather than a token effort at looking like your working, have a look at DOC, COS or Jason Doc for an example. I really hope theres more to him than what was there yesterday
  • Mikey Sweeney - where do you start
  • Not a great fan of COS but a good second half yesterday. Harrison was very good IMO and the two Barrymore lads were decent
  • Another depressing day in Cork but you'd hope that the misplaced passes we saw when we had the upper hand in the first half are just rustiness
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Nihilist

With Division 1 as tight as it is points difference could decide who goes up or down. I think management need to be shrewder in terms of game management. Everyone knew we were missing a lot of key players so I don't know why a more defensive and counter attacking approach was not taken with these 2 big games in mind.

I also think that the game was not a true reflection on the players as a lot didn't play up to standards or were clearly off the pace. Also a lot of excuses were flying around national media all week about how many we were missing. I wonder did maybe some of this get into the players heads and they ended up going down there in a negative frame of mind. Overall it was a very lacklustre performance without the physicality I would expect from our team. Keegan's shoulder on Cadogen was the first major belt a Mayo man put in in that game. That was in the 50th minute and the damage was already complete at that stage. 

Anyway plenty of food for thought after it. Biggest problem now is that we are missing both Lee and probably McLoughlin for Saturday nights visit on top of everyone else. I hope that management have some plan for the Dubs. We should play to our strengths and if we are missing over half a team compensation should be made in some other form e.g. a more defensive approach.

AZOffaly

Nice to see a lot of direct (not aimless) kick passing by both sides as well. Impressed with Cork's execution of that, and Mayo seemed to kick more than they have done previously too. Maybe another string to their bow that Rochford will encourage?

heffo

Quote from: Nihilist on February 01, 2016, 10:57:49 AM

I think management need to be shrewder in terms of game management.

Isn't that what Rochey was brought in for?

Wasn't that a criticism the two previous management teams had levelled at them?

Syferus

Quote from: heffo on February 01, 2016, 12:27:03 PM

Don't mention the war.

larryin89

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 01, 2016, 09:24:50 AM
I heard a lad behind me saying that mayo were going to get hammered in every match and that relegation has been coming for a few years, FFS!

Just a few things:

• This is what Cork do, for the rest of the league they won't hit the points they hit in the last 10 minutes of the first half. I had heard Goulding was flying, he was excellent yesterday
  • I thought the first 15 minutes were good, I was happy out, we had the cork lads at arms length
  • It is very worrying that Rochford could not see that Cork were just fisting the ball back at us on our sickouts, all it took was someone to stand under it to win the breaks, or maybe not kick it out
  • Regan is not the messiah, looking at him yesterday he's at least a year away from being able for senior IC football, the little jinks and dummy solos get eaten up by good backs. And get your hands on the f**king ball before you start throwing the shoulder. And tackle, put some work in rather than a token effort at looking like your working, have a look at DOC, COS or Jason Doc for an example. I really hope theres more to him than what was there yesterday
  • Not a great fan of COS but a good second half yesterday. Harrison was very good IMO and the two Barrymore lads were decent
  • Another depressing day in Cork but you'd hope that the misplaced passes we saw when we had the upper hand in the first half are just rustiness

Sweeney ...agreed, forget him .Hes been knocking around the panel for a couple of years now.

breaking ball , agreed . The modern game seem to forget the simple things at times.

Regan, totally disagree , bags of potential , persist with regan we will be rewarded in the end. We have to give guys a chance if they have potential..

Hennelly...Clarke is a better choice.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

twohands!!!

In hindsight I think Cork were always likely to be looking to put down a serious marker in this game - given their last championship game was the Kildare fiasco - (a team who shipped two massive beatings in the championship from Dublin and Kerry)

Also Cork have been back doing collective training for a few more weeks than Mayo which can make a lot of difference early in the season.

Maroon Manc

The fixture list hasn't been to kind to Mayo, their 2 easiest fixtures on paper are their last 2 games.

I don't see them beating the Dubs next week but stranger things have happened, the 3 games against Donegal, Monaghan & Kerry will give us a greater indication of where Mayo are at.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 01, 2016, 02:40:42 PM
The fixture list hasn't been to kind to Mayo, their 2 easiest fixtures on paper are their last 2 games.

I don't see them beating the Dubs next week but stranger things have happened, the 3 games against Donegal, Monaghan & Kerry will give us a greater indication of where Mayo are at.

Dunno about that. If they truly were 'easy' fixtures, you'd prefer them early to have the points in the bag, and try kick on. If you are struggling, and your confidence is down, those easy fixtures at the end might not turn out that way in actuality.

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on February 01, 2016, 12:48:37 PM
Quote from: heffo on February 01, 2016, 12:27:03 PM

Don't mention the war.

Who can forget Mayo losing the AI final by a point to Dublin in 2013 and Horan not realising Dublin had two players unable to move for the last ten minutes.

mayoman dan

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 01, 2016, 09:24:50 AM

Just a few things:

[/b]

Totally agree on Hennelly.Aimless kickout after aimless kickout it was like Limerick all over again.