Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Hand on heart, I don't know who won the Sigerson last season. Or the season before. Most GAA fans don't know jack of what is going on in this competition. I realise for the players it's a nice medal to add to the collection and it's nice in years to come to say you played with and against certain players. But from the common man fan point of view this competition does not exist. Anyway this is not to say it does not have a value. It does for the players and probably for the Schools.

lenny

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 21, 2016, 09:33:13 PM
Hand on heart, I don't know who won the Sigerson last season. Or the season before. Most GAA fans don't know jack of what is going on in this competition. I realise for the players it's a nice medal to add to the collection and it's nice in years to come to say you played with and against certain players. But from the common man fan point of view this competition does not exist. Anyway this is not to say it does not have a value. It does for the players and probably for the Schools.

What about the good player from the small club in leitrim or longford? The Sigerson is the pinnacle for a lot of players and that is the reality. It is a superb competition with a lot of history and tradition. I also think it's very healthy for players to put aside county and club rivalries and come together for university teams. It may be an idea to runit off sept-dec but it still has a huge place in the gaa calendar.

Syferus

No different than a junior county championship in that sense.  But there's more tangible rewards to be had for players at third level. It's one of the few ways the best and most dedicated players can get rewarded for their effort. That's the reason it needs to be protected. A third level education is pretty much invaluable these days.

manfromdelmonte

Should be played off before Xmas.
Or if a lad is on a 3rd level team, he cannot train with county senior or U21 teams.
Some crazy stuff going on

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2016, 09:49:55 PM

No different than a junior county championship in that sense.  But there's more tangible rewards to be had for players at third level. It's one of the few ways the best and most dedicated players can get rewarded for their effort. That's the reason it needs to be protected. A third level education is pretty much invaluable these days.

The football with the education is not a necessity. It's time to end the madness of Sigerson football. No one gives a shite about it anymore

Syferus

Quote from: INDIANA on January 21, 2016, 10:13:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 21, 2016, 09:49:55 PM

The football with the education is not a necessity. It's time to end the madness of Sigerson football. No one gives a shite about it anymore

Maybe in the cocoon of Dublin where a lot of students don't need to pay for accomdation to go to college. I know people who aren't players who had two jobs on the go to support going to college. A GAA player travelling long distances to U21, senior and club training and Sigerson training too simply doesn't have the time to do all that and college and still have the time to earn the money they need to pay their living expenses.

Indy's Pale-centric viewpoint strikes again.

Rossfan

Clubs and Counties are for playing football with.
Unis and ITs are for getting education and qualifications and if there's a bit biteen of football thrown in - grand. But it should be low key just to lighten the load of learning - not a feckin world cup intensity glory fest ( in which there is absolutely fcuk all public interest).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ck

Genuine question. If Sigerson was scrapped tomorrow what would be the implications?

rrhf

I agree entirely about the Mc Kenna Cup and Sigerson should be retained but there needs to be constraints put on this comp. 

manfromdelmonte

Basically a player should only be able to train or play for one team at a time.
Choose between
County Senior
County U21
Third Level team

it would stop a lot of the madness of players being on multiple panels
If that means moving third level before Xmas, then so be it

Shrewdness

Between all the various colleges, there are a total of 33 Roscommon players listed to be involved, although a few of them are injured.

Kickham csc

Played Sigerson, and to be honest, its a medal that I have the most regrets of not winning (2 semi finals and a finalist)

Couple of points, players don't care about the crowds, it's the honor of representing your college, with friends that over 4/5 years, you have developed really strong bonds with, housemates, classmates, etc etc. 

If we were to drop the competition because of media and attendance interest, how many competitions would survive??? The most important thing is the interest of the players, and it clearly has that.

The other factor that people don't realize, it is the real railway cup in the GAA calendar. For example, the Poly, Queens and the Ranch were mostly made up of Ulster players, with all counties covered (maybe with the exception of Cavan) and the same with the other colleges at that time. So this was my chance to rub shoulders with Down, Derry, Tryone, Armagh, Fermanagh etc , and prove that I could play with the best of them. Likewise, it was my chance to play against players from other provinces.

The whole scholarship thing... DCU brought this to a whole new level, and other colleges have responded. The big issue with these is that there should be a central group who regulates scholarships, and a centrally funded scheme for any of the smaller ITs who can't afford them.

general_lee

Quote from: hardstation on January 23, 2016, 01:33:16 AM
Quote from: ck on January 22, 2016, 11:47:00 PM
Genuine question. If Sigerson was scrapped tomorrow what would be the implications?
There is more desire for it amongst its participating players than there is for the McKenna Cup amongst its participating players.
What do you base that on exactly? Plenty of fellas first (and many times only) opportunity to represent their county is in the McKenna Cup. Plenty of players take extreme pride in it, ask anyone from Tyrone

ck

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on January 23, 2016, 11:45:11 AM
Basically a player should only be able to train or play for one team at a time.
Choose between
County Senior
County U21
Third Level team

it would stop a lot of the madness of players being on multiple panels
If that means moving third level before Xmas, then so be it

+1

The key issue is that its the same elite players playing in all these competitions. Make Sigerson a non county player competition and you would go a long way to solving a lot of the issues out there.

Syferus

..and all the scholarship money for GAA players instantly dries up.