Sigerson Cup

Started by mad tan, January 21, 2016, 03:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on February 11, 2016, 07:39:53 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 11, 2016, 02:12:05 PM
So what if Universities are attracting counties players?? It makes the Sigerson Cup unique in the football calendar and it would be of no interest at all, to anyone, if it consisted of non county players or U21s. It's up to the universities who they allow onto courses and therefore anyone studying a course should be allowed to play. Its not the Universities job to develop players for county teams or nurture underage talent. A University's football club's objective is to win the Sigerson Cup - let them at I say!

It would predominantly be of interest to the players.
Just like it is now.
I couldn't care less who wins the Sigerson Cup.
This isn't America, Irish people don't have a massive connection to the university they went to once they're out of there.
Shag all people go to the games as well.

Excluding the best players from the thing that earns them scholarship money - one of the few tangible benefits of a sport now professional in all but pay - is reductive in the extreme.

Aaron Boone

DCU comfortably ahead in final QF v Carlow Institute of Technology.

BennyHarp

So what if Universities are attracting counties players?? It makes the Sigerson Cup unique in the football calendar and it would be of no interest at all, to anyone, if it consisted of non county players or U21s. It's up to the universities who they allow onto courses and therefore anyone studying a course should be allowed to play. Its not the Universities job to develop players for county teams or nurture underage talent. A University's football club's objective is to win the Sigerson Cup - let them at I say!

Just like it is now.
This isn't America, Irish people don't have a massive connection to the university they went to once they're out of there.

Fair enough, I agree. So why are we bothered who plays in it then? Though I think if I was around during Sigerson weekend I wouldn't mind going to see a full forward line of McBrearty, Hughes and Regan in action.
That was never a square ball!!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2016, 07:55:41 PM

Just like it is now.

Excluding the best players from the thing that earns them scholarship money - one of the few tangible benefits of a sport now professional in all but pay - is reductive in the extreme.

So now you're for scolarships. Hard to keep up with your selective applications of your morals, Contradicterus.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on February 11, 2016, 07:55:41 PM

Just like it is now.

Outside of lads going into college from their LC to do a primary degree, the scholarship system feeds that 'professional in all but pay' monster.
Lads tipping along doing courses in their mid to late twenties when they should be in a career-building phase.
Instead they are basically dedicating themselves full-time to football, perpetuating the intercounty arms-race.
What happens when they hit their thirties and the music stops and they're left without a chair?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

rodney trotter

Players are eligible to play Sigerson for 6 years, but it should be 24 which is the age limit to play in the competition.

Colm Begley is going on 30 this year and still playing, He was playing Afl for a few years so started when he was 23/24

Tony Baloney

Would none of these hoors take a reddener and get a job.

Any craic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

DCU vs UUJ should be a very interesting spectacle, hard to call.
From a Kildare point of view it will be interesting to see how Kevin Feely does against a very good full forward in Kieran Hughes. It seems a waste playing him fullback considering how classy a footballer he looks.

UCD should make it through in the other one.

fearsiuil

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on February 12, 2016, 09:32:22 PM
From a Kildare point of view it will be interesting to see how Kevin Feely does against a very good full forward in Kieran Hughes. It seems a waste playing him fullback considering how classy a footballer he looks.

Is Feely throwing his lot in with Kildare this year or playing bit of soccer also?

Gael85

Quote from: rodney trotter on February 11, 2016, 04:45:04 PM
Kevin Nolan of Dublin also on the UUJ Panel. Missed the last 2 games.

I thought he was still teaching in Adamstown. Is he up there full time?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: fearsiuil on February 14, 2016, 05:04:03 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on February 12, 2016, 09:32:22 PM

Is Feely throwing his lot in with Kildare this year or playing bit of soccer also?

He has packed in the soccer.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

SuperHo

dunno bout the football but qub hosted the sigerson in my final year.  it was the best w/e of craic i have ever had.  galway lads lined up outside the union at the end of the night as if for a team photo then proceeded to sing bad bad leroy brown.

least i'm fairly sure.....

aontroim abu

What's the schedule for matched this weekend? Semis on Friday, final on Saturday??? Anyone an ides of times etc??

oakleafer

Friday 19th February
1pm Sigerson Semi Final UCD v UL Pitch 4
3pm Sigerson Semi Final UU v DCU Pitch 4

Trench Cup Semi Finals
1pm: Dundalk IT v British University Champions
3pm: Waterford IT v Letterkenny IT

Corn Na Mac Léinn Semi Finals
11am:Royal college of Surgeons v Marino I.E.
11am:UU Magee v North West Regional College

Corn Comhairle Ardoideachais Final
5pm:St Patrick's Thurles v Drogheda IFE

Saturday 20th February

11am:Corn Na Mac Léinn Final
12.30pm: Trench Cup Final
2.30pm: Sigerson Final