Great players that never won the all Ireland

Started by seafoid, January 12, 2016, 01:10:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Monaghan and Mayo posters please be patient

I'll start off with Paul Flynn from the Deise

seafoid

seafoid

Indiana reminds me of the Flann  O Brien character who spent so much time on his bicycle that his body absorbed loads of bicycle atoms which made him x% bicycle and 100-x % man.  Indiana and reflected Dub success are like that, you know that sort of way.

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

smort

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2016, 01:33:46 PM
Indiana reminds me of the Flann  O Brien character who spent so much time on his bicycle that his body absorbed loads of bicycle atoms which made him x% bicycle and 100-x % man.  Indiana and reflected Dub success are like that, you know that sort of way.

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

Loved The Third Policeman, even if it was a bit crazy.

Matty Forde

Shrewdness

Gerry O'Malley Rip, although he did win an All Ireland Junior Hurling medal... Also Tony Mc Manus, Harry Keegan, Pat Lindsay etc etc

From the Bunker

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

Ciaran McDonald won an AI Club!  ;)

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2016, 02:41:48 PM

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

on the most glorious day in the history of Connacht sport.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2016, 02:43:06 PM

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

Do Minor, under 21 or Junior count? 

I know some average to sh1te Mayo players who won two AI junior titles in the mid '90s!

Really it's just players from anywhere bar Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal. In fairness Galway and Meath havent had any good players since the turn of the Millennium, so they have no worries.

AZOffaly

Socrates. Although he did win a Sigerson.*

*I know, I know.

smort

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 12, 2016, 02:56:15 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 12, 2016, 02:43:06 PM

Ciaran Mcdonald
Ciaran Carey

Do Minor, under 21 or Junior count?  Really it's just players from anywhere bar Dublin, Kerry, Cork, Armagh, Tyrone, Donegal. In fairness Galway and Meath havent had any good players since the turn of the Millennium, so they have no worries.

Michael Meehan would have graced any team

Canalman

Vast majority of the greatest players to play the game never won an AI imo.

Ones that I have seen alot of  over the years and  come to mind are Paraic Clancy, Kevin O'Brien, Anthony Rainbow, Mattie Forde, Kevin O'Reilly. Laois had a centre back recently who was excellent but whose name I can't remember now.

Great servants for Dublin like Eamonn Heary, Paddy Christie and Ciaran Whelan also.

Many many more.

AZOffaly

Did you just include Paraic Clancy from Laois in a list of "Vast majority of the greatest players to play the game never won an AI imo"? And I presume you are talking about Tom Kelly as the Centre Back? I'm not trying to be smart here, but are you sure that's what you meant?

On Mattie Forde, Kevin O'Brien, Anthony Rainbow etc, I could agree.

Dessie Barry from Longford, Declan Browne from Tipperary, Ciaran McManus from Offaly etc etc would be other great players who never won an All Ireland. In Dessie and Declan's case, they never even had a chance. At least Maccer won a Leinster in 1997, and a Division 1 league in 1998.