Jamie Clarke,the GAA's answer to Stephen Ireland?

Started by T Fearon, January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

A year away will allow other Armagh forwards to step up to the plate so that when he returns next year it will be to a more rounded, ambitious team capable of winning something.  ;D

Well it is sleep time and I have had a hard days work! ;D

ck

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 05, 2016, 11:46:03 PM
I'd be surprised if McGeeney doesn't have him back for the big summer matches. Top managers have good powers of persuasion.

Fair play to Clarke for living his life, In fairness to him I'd say he's running a mile from McGeeney and his over training and robotic team set ups. You can always tell a limited manager when his star players stay away. It's usually a case of clash of egos

Throw ball

On a more serious note I cannot believe how much Tyrone supporters over rate their team. I do not see many Dublin ones on about their latest star in the making, or Kerry or Mayo ones for that matter.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Throw ball on January 06, 2016, 12:36:55 AM
On a more serious note I cannot believe how much Tyrone supporters over rate their team. I do not see many Dublin ones on about their latest star in the making, or Kerry or Mayo ones for that matter.

Who's overrating them?

Most of the Tyrone forward line have had big seasons at intercounty level. Jamie Clarke hasn't. It's clear he has quality but he hasn't the dedication to show that at senior county level, if he wants to live his life the way he does then all power to him.

tv pundit

Bomber get off the drink for the new year !!
Neither Bradley or mc curry are top level (no yet anyways) and to say lee brennan is better than clarke is ridiculous. Brennan's only competitive starts at senior level have been o fiach cup and v Queens in the mc kenna cup. We love to get carried away

ashman

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2016, 12:39:35 AM

Who's overrating them?

Most of the Tyrone forward line have had big seasons at intercounty level. Jamie Clarke hasn't. It's clear he has quality but he hasn't the dedication to show that at senior county level, if he wants to live his life the way he does then all power to him.

JC has proper football medals.  He has more AI club senior football medals than the whole county of Tyrone.

maximus

Any time Clarke has played against us Mickey Harte has put two men on him. When they held him to a handful of points Harte commented that the Tyrone defence had performed well against a player of Clarke's quality. If Tyrone had someone with such finishing ability we would have been a lot closer in the last few seasons. The lads mentioned have great potential but it's early days yet.

J70

Seriously??

How many years have you been on this board? ;D

smelmoth

Quote from: BennyCake on January 05, 2016, 09:47:02 PM
I think it's a case of there's more to life than running your balls off 7 nights a week, for a handful of games. The amount of training and commitment needed nowadays for even club football, is so ridiculous, young fellas are leaving in their droves.

Good luck to Jamie. He's a young lad wanting to see the world and enjoy new experiences. Football is only a game.
Agree entirely. The game today and the training/game time balance is not a proposition that will appeal to all. Jamie wouldn't get in the Dublin team but would feature regularly in all other teams and a mainstay of most. He is however one of the best players to watch. His movement on and off the ball and ability to run rings around masthead defenders are top class. As a spectator being good to watch must count for something

smelmoth

Quote from: thewobbler on January 05, 2016, 10:04:28 PM
It's perhaps the biggest flaw in Gaelic Football as a game, that an average player who is in great shape, is usually a better option than a great player who is in average shape.

In effect it means that average players can set the standards that everyone else has to follow... except the skill levels revert towards the mean.

Jamie is his own man, and good luck to him. If more players follow his lead then someone somewhere might actually listen.

Totally agree. The game is the worse for squeezing skill out at the expense of fitness, "good trainers", players who don't take risks and players prepared to motor. Up and down the pitch without touching the ball in the name of defensive discipline

heffo

Quote from: T Fearon on January 05, 2016, 09:26:14 PM
Only he doesn't use the granny rule.Seriously his decision to once again globetrot after Crossmaglen's Championship season ends shows he has little faith in the County team's ability and even less loyalty.I only hope that he is not shipped home and parachuted in if the County team exceeds his expectations this summer

Are you on the wind up?

Playing IC games is a hobby.

LeoMc

Quote from: smelmoth on January 06, 2016, 08:22:26 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 05, 2016, 10:04:28 PM
It's perhaps the biggest flaw in Gaelic Football as a game, that an average player who is in great shape, is usually a better option than a great player who is in average shape.

In effect it means that average players can set the standards that everyone else has to follow... except the skill levels revert towards the mean.

Jamie is his own man, and good luck to him. If more players follow his lead then someone somewhere might actually listen.

Totally agree. The game is the worse for squeezing skill out at the expense of fitness, "good trainers", players who don't take risks and players prepared to motor. Up and down the pitch without touching the ball in the name of defensive discipline
+1
I am sure when Jamie looks back on his career and his haul of All-Irelands he wont be regretting missing a few runs out in the qualifiers.

tonto1888

As an Armagh man it is disappointing but with the demands of the modern game I'm not that surprised. Kind of knew it was coming

illdecide

Tony Fearon you are a complete DICK...although everyone else knows it here on the Board. I could bet my life on it you'd be the first arsehole to slap his back if you ran into him after a game, you come on here to slag one of your own off and you don't know the circumstances but only what you read in a news paper. The next time i see you around the AG i will tell you to your face as well.

If the lad wants to tour about get a few quid and sample a few of the local ladies then fair play to him and there's very few who would turn that down that had no commitments at home, there's more to life than football and the way the game is now especially at County level it's an easy decision for him. If he comes back, great!!! and if not thanks Jamie for your services.

P.S. JC would start on any County team in Ireland, if that man represented Kerry/Dubs or Mayo he'd be top scorer in the Country...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

general_lee

Jamie is a maverick. He has it in his personality. He likes to travel and drink coffee. Wear nice clothes and pose for Instagram. Visit art museums. Live a relaxed lifestyle. These aren't things you can enjoy if you're stuck training for a 1st round qualifier with Wicklow. I can't help thinking if it wasn't for the setup at Crossmaglen and the tightness those boys have he might have jacked football in altogether by now.

He has more ability in his wee toe than I ever have in my whole body and if he wants to travel then who or what is to stop him. As a follow of Armagh I'm disappointed. He hasn't been at his best in more recent times but still had a massive amount to offer. It's a great shame but I can't help but get the impression that he isn't convinced by the set up in Armagh at the minute. I wouldn't run the fella down too much for making the decision, like others I just think it's a huge shame.