The some old music was shīte thread

Started by armaghniac, January 02, 2016, 12:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

As noted on the modern music thread, not all the old stuff was good, although the average was better than the present.

Number 1 in the hit parade of horror
Disco Duck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNx1pMgW4fw

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

Christ,  lot of the old stuff was shite. Stock Aitken and Waterman, Mariah Carey, the Lightouse family, Black Box etc  etc ad nauseum 

seafoid

It is interesting what of the old stuff gets recycled now. Bronski Beat had some great tunes. I think they were very underrated at the time. and the message of the lyrics was way ahead of its time. The Pet shop Boys were very good as well as were Frankie goes to Hollywood. 

Simple Minds didn't really stand the test of time. Same goes for Duran Duran. They were a lot of image more than anything else  . I remember reading Smash Hits at the time as a teenager. Simon Le Bon was impossibly glamorous, married to a supermodel. Sigue Sigue Sputnik got a lot of attention in 1986 but the music was shite.

Kate Bush was a standout genius.

From the Bunker

Bands such as Depeche Mode, Bronski beat, Visage, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, Blamanche, Human League, Heaven 17, Japan, Ultravox, Gary Numan despite creating some cheesy tracks also created some classics that would mould a lot todays modern sound. In many cases the sounds and ideas were so new there was bound to be some dodgy tracks but this was outweighed by other creative stuff. There was a post punk Gay underground movement with most of these groups containing a gay message.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 02, 2016, 10:52:40 AM
Bands such as Depeche Mode, Bronski beat, Visage, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark, Blamanche, Human League, Heaven 17, Japan, Ultravox, Gary Numan despite creating some cheesy tracks also created some classics that would mould a lot todays modern sound. In many cases the sounds and ideas were so new there was bound to be some dodgy tracks but this was outweighed by other creative stuff. There was a post punk Gay underground movement with most of these groups containing a gay message.
I feel love by Donna Summer was 1977 but it sounds ultra modern even now

Eamonnca1

This beat is
This beat is
This beat is Technotronic
There's a dance floor
Get on it
This beat is Technotronic

Repeat.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: seafoid on January 02, 2016, 09:18:52 AM
Simple Minds didn't really stand the test of time.

Now that you mention it, you never hear much of their stuff played now, do you? Pity too, it was top quality stuff. Just listening to Real Life here and it holds up very well today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bttu7o3iU_0

ONeill

Fcuk yiz all. Rosette were class.

Forget about this wearing well shite.

At the time it was a great escape from running the ramparts with a mongrel dog with turned in eyes trying to ride ye.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.