Floods

Started by armaghniac, December 29, 2015, 10:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

it is a bit damp out there

this will slow down Kilkenny hurlers

Does Cake Curran still own that sandbag business? Good line to be in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Insider

Feel so sorry for all those affected by the continuing flooding . This should be top of the agenda for the upcoming election . Have said it before , the Dutch should be brought in and show us how to handle water . A report into the 09 flooding is still being compiled !!!!. Went to one of the public meetings , their proposal to minimize flood damage was to tile floors and walls on ground floors of buildings near the river, reckoned it would be more cost effective than dredging or replacing culverts 

foxcommander

Quote from: The Insider on December 30, 2015, 07:04:58 PM
Feel so sorry for all those affected by the continuing flooding . This should be top of the agenda for the upcoming election . Have said it before , the Dutch should be brought in and show us how to handle water . A report into the 09 flooding is still being compiled !!!!. Went to one of the public meetings , their proposal to minimize flood damage was to tile floors and walls on ground floors of buildings near the river, reckoned it would be more cost effective than dredging or replacing culverts

Top of the agenda? I don't think so. There's plenty of other issues that need looking at rather than seasonal weather problems.

Would be a welcome distraction for our glorious Taoiseach though if this was the #1 item on the list.
There's another serious water issue that needs to be investigated properly yet and they've been doing a good job avoiding it. Hint: Siteserv.

I don't know why enda hasn't told the population this flooding is all his doing to make sure the country has access to free water. Sure it would be a masterstroke.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Cunny Funt

Mallow Cork bus stop

armaghniac

Quote from: foxcommander on December 30, 2015, 07:26:42 PM
I don't know why enda hasn't told the population this flooding is all his doing to make sure the country has access to free water. Sure it would be a masterstroke.

I wonder how many of those whining about water have bothered to collect even one litre of the free water falling from the sky?

Canalman

Seen some of the FG  spear holders on the news earlier today. Smart of the FG handlers imo to distance EK from this "bad news story".

Government lucky again that north of England flooded also to deflect attention a bit.

Wouldn't like to be trying to sell a house now within an asses roar of a river.

easytiger95

The mother was telling me that the young couple who have moved in next door have had awful trouble getting house insurance because their back garden backs onto a canal.

Bear in mind that a. its a canal b. the garden doesn't back onto the canal, there is a lane between them c. after the lane there is a 20 foot drop to the canal bank d. the bank in this area is about 20 foot wide e. the elevation in the area means there is zero chance of the place ever flooding (even with a Day After Tomorrow Scenario, Jake Gyllenhall will be knocking into my ma's to keep his toesies dry)

If you're looking for insurance after this I'd get rid of your paddling pools - they're defining anything as a "body of water" and charging accordingly.

mikehunt

Quote from: armaghniac on December 30, 2015, 08:37:36 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 30, 2015, 07:26:42 PM

I wonder how many of those whining about water have bothered to collect even one litre of the free water falling from the sky?

Do you mean people whining about "water charges"? If so then would it not be an idea for Govt/Irish Water to invest in harvesting this water rather than installing meters while introducing a fixed charge rendering the meters redundant?

J70

Sounds like the insurance companies don't want to be bothered with flood insurance in that case. Make it so restrictive and conditional and expensive that no one will bother their arse getting it, and then the insurance companies are off the hook when the next flood comes around.

Something similar happened in Florida after the 2004 hurricane season. The state got hammered with several bad hurricances, especially Charley. Insurance companies jacked up rates and refused coverage left, right and centre. The state had to step in with a public insurance programme to fill the gap.

armaghniac

Quote from: mikehunt on December 31, 2015, 03:35:50 PM
Do you mean people whining about "water charges"? If so then would it not be an idea for Govt/Irish Water to invest in harvesting this water rather than installing meters while introducing a fixed charge rendering the meters redundant?

Invest requires money, the fixed charge was introduced because of the incessant whining.

Quote from: J70 on December 31, 2015, 03:38:32 PM
Sounds like the insurance companies don't want to be bothered with flood insurance in that case. Make it so restrictive and conditional and expensive that no one will bother their arse getting it, and then the insurance companies are off the hook when the next flood comes around.

Something similar happened in Florida after the 2004 hurricane season. The state got hammered with several bad hurricances, especially Charley. Insurance companies jacked up rates and refused coverage left, right and centre. The state had to step in with a public insurance programme to fill the gap.

Proper elevation data is needed to accurately build flood models. A public insurance scheme is needed, preferably charged to the councils that are giving planning permission.

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2015, 03:50:19 PM
would it not be an idea for Govt/Irish Water to invest in harvesting this water rather than installing meters while introducing a fixed charge rendering the meters redundant?

Invest requires money,

And with a late rally mikehunt wins the title of stupidest post of the year. ::)
There was some strong opposition at times but his post above was the clincher.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Beffs

Quote from: armaghniac on December 30, 2015, 08:37:36 PM

I do. Have a big water tank thingy out in the garden. I use the water from it to water the plants. Got it in B&Q and it didn't cost much at all. Summat like this.

http://www.diy.com/departments/ward-slimline-water-butt-100l/216338_BQ.prd

Everyone I know, looks at it in amazement, as if it is one of the Great Pyramids of Egypt. Then, they go home and hook up their garden hoses to their house and outside taps, to water their gardens and wash their cars. Like it doesn't even occur to them that there could be a different option.  ::)

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on December 31, 2015, 07:42:03 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on December 31, 2015, 03:50:19 PM
would it not be an idea for Govt/Irish Water to invest in harvesting this water rather than installing meters while introducing a fixed charge rendering the meters redundant?

Invest requires money,

And with a late rally mikehunt wins the title of stupidest post of the year. ::)
There was some strong opposition at times but his post above was the clincher.

I take it that you've disqualified all your posts from selection.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

BennyCake

Too many concreted gardens. That's yer problem.

Eamonnca1

Urban runoff is part of it, but not the whole story.

There's a fascinating article here in the Guardian about policies that "make flooding inevitable" in the UK:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/13/flooding-public-spending-britain-europe-policies-homes

The short version is that farmers are incentivized to remove trees from their land even when there's no compelling reason for it. Since trees absorb tons of water and release it slowly, removing them reduces the land's capacity to cope with downpours. Water that would have been slowly released into the rivers now goes straight into them, and that's bad news for towns and cities that were built beside rivers. All the talk about flood defenses is overlooking why there's so much flooding in the first place.