The run up to conflict in Northern Ireland

Started by seafoid, December 22, 2015, 05:21:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: T Fearon on December 27, 2015, 11:21:12 AM
I see the AP as soft unionists,certainly they do not prioritise Northern Irishness.Something new and fresh is needed

You can't be unionist and this 'Northern Irish' you are promoting??

OgraAnDun

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 26, 2015, 06:55:04 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 26, 2015, 06:42:31 PM
The best thing at present is to maintain the constitutional status quo (there is no other option) but instead of the divisive politics of unionism and nationalism, promote common Northern Irishness.

Of course you are right. Both Communities have more in common with each other than the extended communities they try to be part of.

Well I have to say that I have about the same amount in common with my housemates from Wexford, Kildare and Monaghan as I do as Protestant friends from Larne. Probably more so, in fact.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on December 26, 2015, 06:24:20 PM
What is Irish culture anyway? Seems to me that large swathes of the 26 counties have a mishmash of West Brit/USA culture.There is now huge cultural differences between nationalists North and South (never mind the huge differences between both and unionists).The influx of foreign nationals to both jurisdictions seems to have further muddied the waters.

In the unlikely event of getting any substantial portion of unionists to agree to a United Ireland (that still no Dublin Govt wants) the absolute minimum requirement for them is that the current British subvention will be matched.

All these factors make a United Ireland not only unattainable but totally off the radar.The British and Irish Government have no attachment to the North and no vision other than peace (or an absence of violence).Why does anyone here owe any allegiance to either of these two governments?
Large US influences and Man U etc but I would define Irish culture as duthracht, concern for people, strong community, very supporting in times of crisis eg funerals , politically over tolerant of corruption, clientelist, adventurous n things like food, child focused, kind to handicapped, perhaps a bit sloppy, wouldn't always follow best practice, afraid of maths, open to the world, big into music, talented musically generally, big readers, not the most organised tend to go more towards flexibility, open to new ideas, tolerant.

general_lee

I really do dispair when people bring up the whole NI "unique culture" angle. Is it the accent? Just cos to the untrained ear "we all sound the same" when in reality accents in NI are as chequered as the rest of the island. Is it because some people like to march? Which funny enough they do in the ROI as well.

Generally speaking, across all these islands, we're all kind of the same in terms of popular culture. We watch the same tv shows, drive the same cars, follow the same football teams, drink the same beers, have the same socio economic struggles, etc. The differences are so subtle. Why try and peddle this notion that NI is somehow unique? What's the difference between people in Banbridge? Dundalk? Kilmarnock? Rhyl?

In terms of traditional culture. NI doesn't really have any. There is nothing truly unique to NI that you can say doesn't happen anywhere else. I certainly can't think of anything - and no the OO doesn't count.

T Fearon

Visit the Shankhill Road and Killarney and tell me these are all the same people? By virtue of 100 years of partition,the North is unique (in terms of the rest of Ireland and the U.K.) in our experiences,outlook and history which shapes all of us.

Throw in the fact (sadly most people do not want to acknowledge this) that neither Dublin or London wants us,and has each screwed us over more times than one could recall,then realise the absurdity of fighting to try to "belong" to either state.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on December 27, 2015, 12:56:38 PM
Visit the Shankhill Road and Killarney and tell me these are all the same people? By virtue of 100 years of partition,the North is unique (in terms of the rest of Ireland and the U.K.) in our experiences,outlook and history which shapes all of us.

Throw in the fact (sadly most people do not want to acknowledge this) that neither Dublin or London wants us,and has each screwed us over more times than one could recall,then realise the absurdity of fighting to try to "belong" to either state.
Visit Shankill Road and Enniskillen and ............
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Shankill rd is more like Sherriff st.
Killarney would be like somewhere in the glens maybe. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=153b6qaueSc

imtommygunn

You have taken the most extreme loyalist area (in a city) and compared to a relatively small rural area. Not a realistic comparison at all.

How does crossmaglen compare to the shankill road??

Killarney probably a bit more like mournes.

Tony Baloney

Absurd comparisons. Visit the Cotswolds and Toxteth, the Lake District and Hull... Most nations are not made up of homogeneous masses.

general_lee

The North is NOT unique. The only thing unique about it is there is an international border around 6 counties which differentiates it from the rest of the country. 5/6 counties have a border with with an ROI county so to try spinning this notion that we are unique to the rest of the island is bull. There is no more difference between Killarney and the Shankill than there is between Killarney and Ballymun.

Culturally there is one indigenous culture on this island - Irish culture. There are various strands to this and probably the most significant one is Unionist/Loyalist culture. Remember this pre - exists partition so is not "unique" to NI. The political status of NI doesn't dictate the culture within.

illdecide

Quote from: general_lee on December 27, 2015, 03:25:17 PM

The North is NOT unique. The only thing unique about it is there is an international border around 6 counties which differentiates it from the rest of the country. 5/6 counties have a border with with an ROI county so to try spinning this notion that we are unique to the rest of the island is bull. There is no more difference between Killarney and the Shankill than there is between Killarney and Ballymun.

Culturally there is one indigenous culture on this island - Irish culture. There are various strands to this and probably the most significant one is Unionist/Loyalist culture. Remember this pre - exists partition so is not "unique" to NI. The political status of NI doesn't dictate the culture within.

I'd agree with that GL
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

There are substantial core cultural differences between northern and southern nationalists never mind unionists.But the 26 county mindset now,after 100 years of partition,is that the North and its people are a different entity and not to be touched with a barge pole.The same attitude multiplied by 5 obtains in the UK

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: T Fearon on December 27, 2015, 08:35:44 PM
There are substantial core cultural differences between northern and southern nationalists never mind unionists.But the 26 county mindset now,after 100 years of partition,is that the North and its people are a different entity and not to be touched with a barge pole.The same attitude multiplied by 5 obtains in the UK

Wtf are these core differences?? Every example you've given so far has been a load of pish!

imtommygunn

Yes some examples please tony. May or may not disagree but not sure what you refer to.

Northern people do tend to be more paranoid as can be seen from a few threads on here but that aside very similar....

T Fearon

Northern people are generally more uptight,plain speaking,abstemious,non easy going,adherent to religion,introvert,suspicious and parochial than their Southern counterparts.All this is a product of 100 years of insecurity (both sides in the North).