Johnny Cash
Luke Kelly

BennyCake

Liam Clancy
Hayley Westenra
Luke Kelly
Luciano Pavarotti
Cerys Matthews

Had to leave out Dusty Springfield and Tom Jones.

omaghjoe

Top 5 is impossible to much talent and variation Im doin a top 10 or so again... no order

Elton John
Joni Mitchell
Luke Kelly
Freddie Mercury
Michael Jackson
Arethea Franklin
Janis Joplin
George Michael
Paul Brady
Sinead O'Connor
Amy Winehouse

omaghjoe

Quote from: easytiger95 on December 08, 2015, 06:49:47 PM
Gentlemen

A page in and no Dylan????

One his finest performances

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAzcPg5LR5k

Your not serious Tiger? He's a shocking singer

easytiger95

Listen to the song Joe...

Dylan's voice technically is that of a virtuoso - in terms of breath control and tone, there are not many to equal him. He used to joke in the 60s that he could hold his breath as long as Caruso (and he was only half-joking). He used his voice like an instrument, bending notes and changing the time sequence.

In his mid 70s period he gave three or four of the best vocal performances ever - I'm thinking "Forever Young", "Idiot Wind", "Oh Sister", "Simple Twist of Fate", "Hurricane" - actually a lot more than 3 or 4.

Now there is no denying that there is a quality of Dylan's voice that some find jarring (and impressionists always find it really easy to exaggerate the nasal tone) but other singers recognize just how good he was.

And finally, in terms of actually getting over the emotion of a song, even in his later years with his vocal chords shredded, it's hard to keep a dry eye when you hear something like the last verse of "Desolation Row" from his Unplugged Special in the mid 90s- "Well you asked how i was doing, was that some kind of joke?!" or all of "Not Dark Yet". Or just in terms of elder statesman warmth, the Bootleg series version of "Mississipi" is absolutely brilliant.

I could go on all night - put away your preconceptions, get your Spotify out and listen to the songs. Legend.

I didn't even mention the song I posted - that's the demo version of "Most of the time" - compare Dylan's unproduced voice and acoustic guitar to murky, soupy version Daniel Lanois produced for "Oh Mercy" - the difference is absolutely shocking - proof positive that a lot of producers just don't know how to record the man's voice.

5 Sams

Not music...ach an guth is fearr riamh...

The Aristocrat Years

foxcommander

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

omaghjoe

Your on the wind Tiger, his singing is crap, you gotta hit a note before you start bending them ffs, Virtuoso ;D ;D ;D.

He's a rubbish singer... no argument will make me feel that his singing to my ear is anything other than truely awful.

And I actually like his music, it does fit in nicely with the overall musical package he's trying to portray to the listener. I suppose you could compare him to Shane McGowan who I think is (TBF.. was) an amazing singer

annapr

Morgan Freeman has to top any list.

mrhardyannual

Nat King Cole
Ella Fitz
Satchmo
Bing
Edith P.

seafoid

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 08, 2015, 09:29:28 PM
Not music...ach an guth is fearr riamh...

I'll raise you Seosamh o Cuaig
blas den ard scoth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWBGI8snGQ

omaghjoe

Quote from: mrhardyannual on December 08, 2015, 10:02:59 PM
Nat King Cole
Ella Fitz
Satchmo
Bing
Edith P.

The first lady of jazz and the little sparrow
Great choices

tv pundit

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

BennyCake

Quote from: easytiger95 on December 08, 2015, 09:11:51 PM
Listen to the song Joe...

Dylan's voice technically is that of a virtuoso - in terms of breath control and tone, there are not many to equal him. He used to joke in the 60s that he could hold his breath as long as Caruso (and he was only half-joking). He used his voice like an instrument, bending notes and changing the time sequence.

In his mid 70s period he gave three or four of the best vocal performances ever - I'm thinking "Forever Young", "Idiot Wind", "Oh Sister", "Simple Twist of Fate", "Hurricane" - actually a lot more than 3 or 4.

Now there is no denying that there is a quality of Dylan's voice that some find jarring (and impressionists always find it really easy to exaggerate the nasal tone) but other singers recognize just how good he was.

And finally, in terms of actually getting over the emotion of a song, even in his later years with his vocal chords shredded, it's hard to keep a dry eye when you hear something like the last verse of "Desolation Row" from his Unplugged Special in the mid 90s- "Well you asked how i was doing, was that some kind of joke?!" or all of "Not Dark Yet". Or just in terms of elder statesman warmth, the Bootleg series version of "Mississipi" is absolutely brilliant.

I could go on all night - put away your preconceptions, get your Spotify out and listen to the songs. Legend.

I didn't even mention the song I posted - that's the demo version of "Most of the time" - compare Dylan's unproduced voice and acoustic guitar to murky, soupy version Daniel Lanois produced for "Oh Mercy" - the difference is absolutely shocking - proof positive that a lot of producers just don't know how to record the man's voice.

I'm a fan of Dylan but his voice isn't brilliant. His voice fits in with the musical package he produces, but that's all.

A great voice stops you in your tracks, regardless of the musical style or genre. It does something to your soul. Very few voices do that.