Your top 5 albums

Started by seafoid, December 07, 2015, 07:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlieTully

:'(v
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 09, 2015, 08:44:22 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 09, 2015, 07:16:03 PM
Inflammable Material really is a stonking album. Every track an anthem (in my head anyway)

Good shout on Troublegum also (Pleasure death also up there) ... enjoyed listening to those yesterday

Spotify is a great way to access music

Thanks for the tip grandad  ;D

He does make an excellent point Tony. Today whilst putting up my Christmas tree I listened to sonic  youth goo. An album I'd lomg since misplaced. Spotify is essential.

moysider

Quote from: charlieTully on December 09, 2015, 04:16:11 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 09, 2015, 12:13:51 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on December 08, 2015, 11:46:25 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on December 08, 2015, 11:01:42 AM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum
2. Stone Roses - Stone Roses
3. Teenage Fanclub - Grand Prix
4. Teenage Fanclub - A Catholic Education
5. Carter USM - 30 Something

a great selection, have seen all them bands live on several occasions, nights very fondly remembered, have to say I am very impressed with albums selected overall in the poll, proves the gaa is far from a conservative body.

What would be conservative though? Is there any such thing in music taste?

Round these parts the good gaa folk would be more into Nathan carter than carter usm.

But that's hardly conservative though? That's just .... I dunno?? Thought conservative would be classical/opera?

omaghjoe

Quote from: moysider on December 09, 2015, 11:44:50 PM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum

a great selection, have seen all them bands live on several occasions, nights very fondly remembered, have to say I am very impressed with albums selected overall in the poll, proves the gaa is far from a conservative body.

Round these parts the good gaa folk would be more into Nathan carter than carter usm.

But that's hardly conservative though? That's just .... I dunno?? Thought conservative would be classical/opera?

I wudda thought the same, maybe a bit of Gregorian Chant as well? In terms of the theory of western music at least, everything is leftfield from Classical.

I think that music has become so intertwined with style, fashion and personal outlook and since its often at the vanguard of movements that define these things, people reckon music can be classified along those lines as well.

But it cant, its just music and whats pleasurable to your ear is your personal taste. For example if you like Wagner it hardly makes you a Nazi sympathiser

JoG2

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 10, 2015, 03:47:25 AM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum

I wudda thought the same, maybe a bit of Gregorian Chant as well? In terms of the theory of western music at least, everything is leftfield from Classical.

I think that music has become so intertwined with style, fashion and personal outlook and since its often at the vanguard of movements that define these things, people reckon music can be classified along those lines as well.

But it cant, its just music and whats pleasurable to your ear is your personal taste. For example if you like Wagner it hardly makes you a Nazi sympathiser

conservative in the music sense would be someone who maybe bought 2 / 3 CD's per year. Whatever the mainstream radio stations etc were championing eg Adele, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Kanye  etc. A lot of people are, through social media and marketing, X Factor, BBC Radio 1 etc are pretty much told what they like as its pumped into their ears all day and marketed to shift units. I've a teenager in the house, I see it happening before my eyes !

On the other hand, you've someone who listens to the likes of kcrw, reads Pitchfork, Melody Maker and listens to non mainstream music, these people would be non conversative. They are not musically exclusive though. To me there is no such thing as a guilty pleasure. I'd take a Take That tune or 2 no problem. That Galantis tune (canny mind the name) is brilliant. But so much mainstream music is absolute garbage

And re Spotify, it is handy, but if everyone only listened to music through Spotify, bands / artists would not be able to make the next Nevermind, Doolittle, Nebraska etc as Spotify would have mountains of cash and the bands / artists feck all !

Esmarelda

Quote from: JoG2 on December 10, 2015, 11:15:49 AM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum

conservative in the music sense would be someone who maybe bought 2 / 3 CD's per year. Whatever the mainstream radio stations etc were championing eg Adele, Snow Patrol, Coldplay, Kanye  etc. A lot of people are, through social media and marketing, X Factor, BBC Radio 1 etc are pretty much told what they like as its pumped into their ears all day and marketed to shift units. I've a teenager in the house, I see it happening before my eyes !

On the other hand, you've someone who listens to the likes of kcrw, reads Pitchfork, Melody Maker and listens to non mainstream music, these people would be non conversative. They are not musically exclusive though. To me there is no such thing as a guilty pleasure. I'd take a Take That tune or 2 no problem. That Galantis tune (canny mind the name) is brilliant. But so much mainstream music is absolute garbage

And re Spotify, it is handy, but if everyone only listened to music through Spotify, bands / artists would not be able to make the next Nevermind, Doolittle, Nebraska etc as Spotify would have mountains of cash and the bands / artists feck all !

I agree completely with your first and last paragraphs.

As for the pitchfork reader, I'd consider them middle of the road although Pitchfork does stretch out quite a bit.

The other end of the spectrum to mainstream would be someone into niche genres I would say, none of which have been reflected on this thread so far.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 10, 2015, 12:00:40 PM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum

I agree completely with your first and last paragraphs.

As for the pitchfork reader, I'd consider them middle of the road although Pitchfork does stretch out quite a bit.

The other end of the spectrum to mainstream would be someone into niche genres I would say, none of which have been reflected on this thread so far.

What would you consider to be niche genres?

Esmarelda

Sub-genres of the main genres or even genres that wouldn't be heard on mainstream radio or at mainstream music festivals. So maybe jazz or subgenres such as jazz fusion, the various metal subgenres, electonica subgenres such as dubstep and so on.

easytiger95

All subject to change depending on the day of the week and not in order

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
Bob Dylan - Live at Free Trade Hall Manchester (the Judas concert)
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Cross Roads
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Cashier No. 9 - To the Death of Fun

these are the ones that most reliably made it to the front of the Ipod in the last 12 months, it'll be different next Christmas. (actually I'd also need to stick in "Heartbreaker" by Ryan Adams as well0

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 10, 2015, 04:10:47 PM
Sub-genres of the main genres or even genres that wouldn't be heard on mainstream radio or at mainstream music festivals. So maybe jazz or subgenres such as jazz fusion, the various metal subgenres, electonica subgenres such as dubstep and so on.

Fair enough.  Though, depending on how you're categorizing the niche genres, there may be some of that stuff on here already.  Someone had Slayer's Reign in Blood on their list, another had Coltrane's A Love Supreme, and I had Luke Slater's Fear and Loathing Vol 1 on mine, much of which is "harder faster louder" full on techno.  Though maybe you don't see those albums as being part of a niche genre?

Oraisteach

Feeing folky/trad at this second, so:

1. Al O'Donnell's first
2. Black Planxty
3. Rory Gallagher Live in Europe
4. Leo Rowsome 1st
5. Boys of the Lough 2

Esmarelda

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 10, 2015, 06:04:23 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on December 10, 2015, 04:10:47 PM

Fair enough.  Though, depending on how you're categorizing the niche genres, there may be some of that stuff on here already.  Someone had Slayer's Reign in Blood on their list, another had Coltrane's A Love Supreme, and I had Luke Slater's Fear and Loathing Vol 1 on mine, much of which is "harder faster louder" full on techno.  Though maybe you don't see those albums as being part of a niche genre?
Fair point, I didn't look that closely so some such genres have probably been touched upon.

JoG2

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2015, 09:02:12 AM
This changes quite regularly, but will give it a go. sticking to only one album per artist.

OK computer- Radiohead
Vs- Pearl Jam (tough call between it and Ten)
Boxer- The National
For Emma, Forever ago- Bon Iver
Funeral- Arcade Fire

Class album but Alligator would just edge it for me. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: Esmarelda on December 10, 2015, 12:00:40 PM
1. Therapy? - Troublegum

I see where your coming from but I would have thought that I'd already covered your point. Im referring to the music itself, rather than any medium it comes through.

If music is heard through a mainstream source, that does not make the music itself conservative, the most obvious problem with that is, what if the listener did not hear it through mainstream media? I had Blondie on my list, who would have been considered fairly mainstream back in the day but now that genre of music would not be considered mainstream and not when I started listened to them.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: JoG2 on December 10, 2015, 10:19:49 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on December 09, 2015, 09:02:12 AM
This changes quite regularly, but will give it a go. sticking to only one album per artist.

OK computer- Radiohead
Vs- Pearl Jam (tough call between it and Ten)
Boxer- The National
For Emma, Forever ago- Bon Iver
Funeral- Arcade Fire

Class album but Alligator would just edge it for me.
Great album as well, but I left out some much great other stuff too!
These are the 5 at the minute that I seem to most regular go back to and will listen right through start to finish.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

glens73

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
The Beatles - The Beatles aka The White Album
Muse - Absolution
U2 - Boy
Arcade Fire - Funeral