UU report on sport

Started by armaghniac, December 04, 2015, 07:59:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

As much as I'd like to see a merger between both associations it will never happen.

T Fearon

Basically a load of money given to consultants to tell us what we already know and about which nothing will be done.

armaghniac

Sometimes the actual enumeration of things most people know, but some choose to deny, can be helpful. I doubt if the blazers in the IFA will take much account of it, but they cannot deny it.

However, there is a segment of the population outside traditional GAA circles who might favour an All Ireland soccer team and so probably have no sectarian objection to the GAA, they just aren't familiar with it. This should be the market for the GAA in the 6 counties.

T Fearon

Since when did a majority in this country in favour of anything count?

Having their own international soccer team is more a political emblem for unionists,confirming in their eyes that "NI"is a " country",separate and distinct from "ROI".

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2015, 05:30:14 AM

Having their own international soccer team is more a political emblem for unionists,confirming in their eyes that "NI"is a " country",separate and distinct from "ROI".

As I stated in the other thread unionists proper are a minority. There is a set of people who don't think the union should be abolished at present but who are happy with All Ireland sporting bodies and who would welcome all Ireland cooperation on any practical matter.

The soccer might come to crunch if FIFA decide that having the likes of NI in the world cup is an obstruction to more Asian and African countries getting there.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: general_lee on December 04, 2015, 08:37:20 AM
As much as I'd like to see a merger between both associations it will never happen.

Ireland's national motto. A nation of defeatists.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

If you have ever been at an NI game you will realise how much that association is still very anti Irish at its core. For an all ireland team to happen would mean an abandonment of their current followers

general_lee

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 05, 2015, 07:23:31 AM

Thanks. I think it should happen, I want it to happen, and would support anything to make it happen.

You really need to grasp though that Loyalists need things like the IFA to cling onto their quasi sense of Britishness. GSTQ and the NI flag aren't ever going to be compromised on.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2015, 05:30:14 AM

Or seperate and distinct from Wales, Italy, Scotland, France, Holland etc.  Until the ROI started to try to try poach young catholic players from a Nationalist background, NI fans didn't really give a flying f**k about the ROI team, unless drawn aggainst them in Euro or World Cup qualifiers.

T Fearon

November 1993 disproves that.Also lads exercising a free choice does not constitute poaching.James Mc Clean has said N Ireland and the Windsor Park ethos is alien to him.

michaelg

Quote from: T Fearon on December 05, 2015, 05:39:16 PM
November 1993 disproves that.Also lads exercising a free choice does not constitute poaching.James Mc Clean has said N Ireland and the Windsor Park ethos is alien to him.
As I said, unless drawn against them (e.g Qualifier in 93), most NI fans have virtaully no interest in the ROI team.  Secondly, if you honestly think that players like Shane Ferguson etc have not been actively approached, you are deluding yourself.  Also, it's annoying that litte or no comment is ever made about the fact that no players from a unionist background are ever courted by the FAI.  Whilst the IFA has made great efforts with its Football for All initiative, the actions of the FAI, which fly in the face of this and are only going to further polarise support for both teams, are never mentioned. 

Rossfan

So when will the IFA be using a neutral flag and anthem?
Or is it soccer for all who submit to British symbols?
And don't reply about the GAA and their flag/anthem policy. We can't be having whataboutery ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ashman

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 05, 2015, 07:23:31 AM

If it happened ;

Less blazers
One league
Less European places ( ha ha)
More friction
Norn Ireland losing its place on international board

michaelg

Quote from: Rossfan on December 05, 2015, 08:21:30 PM
So when will the IFA be using a neutral flag and anthem?
Or is it soccer for all who submit to British symbols?
And don't reply about the GAA and their flag/anthem policy. We can't be having whataboutery ;)
Not sure, but there is a significant number of fans in favour of changing the anthem, or at the very least singing two songs like the rugby.  To be honest, I think the anthem thing is overblown.  If Ulster rugby players from a Unionist background can stand respectfully during Soldier's Song, what's the big deal about Nationalist lads on the NI team doing the same.  By the way, I am speaking as someone who would change the anthem at NI games tomorrow if it was my decision.