Fr Gerry Reynolds RIP

Started by T Fearon, November 30, 2015, 06:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2015, 06:17:07 AM
The context of my opening post was the clerical bashing that goes on constantly,heavily promoted by a theophobic media and its supporters,who are all too predominant on this Board.

While mourning the loss of Fr Gerry I was also trying to redress the balance and point out the great work that he and the majority of priests do.It seems I have at least motivated some here to google him and find out for themselves about his extraordinary work and qualities,so to that extent I am both vindicated and satisfied that what I set out to do has been successful.
in 30 years there won't be any priests left. The model is broken, regardless of the good individual priests do. Child abuse was the last nail in the coffin.

Milltown Row2

The context of my opening post was the clerical bashing that goes on constantly,heavily promoted by a theophobic media and its supporters,who are all too predominant on this Board.

While mourning the loss of Fr Gerry I was also trying to redress the balance and point out the great work that he and the majority of priests do.It seems I have at least motivated some here to google him and find out for themselves about his extraordinary work and qualities,so to that extent I am both vindicated and satisfied that what I set out to do has been successful.

Then start another post/thread on "clerical bashing that goes on constantly, heavily promoted by a theophobic media".... Don't be tarnishing the work of the good priests that are still out there.. you aint mourning anyone Tony, you're self serving
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Applesisapples

I would be pretty sure that Fr Reynolds  Christianity would be closer to that of most of us on this board who consider ourselves to be Christian. Caring, forgiving and not in the least dogmatic as can be seen in his relationships with Protestant fellow clerics. Yes there are most certainly those on this board who have lost all faith in the church and indeed religion and they quite rightly at times have a go at the church and sometimes they are OTT. But labelling everyone who doesn't follow the dogma to the letter, or who exposes what they see as errors in the church's handling of social issues as Theophobes shows the paucity of truth in their argument. Fr Reynolds like Fr McVeritty in Dublin or Fr Brian D'Arcy are true Christians and ultra orthodox catholics and the church should pay more heed to their utterances. May God Rest Fr Reynolds Soul.

muppet

Your compassion and pity is matched only by your modesty and humility.
MWWSI 2017

bennydorano

Ulick

Fine tribute to him on Thought for Today on Radio Ulster this morning.

give her dixie

Quote from: Ulick on December 02, 2015, 01:36:29 PM
Fine tribute to him on Thought for Today on Radio Ulster this morning.

Heard that this morning and it was a fine tribute all right, and spoken from the heart from someone who knew him well.

I didn't know much about him myself other than from his work in the early days of the Peace Process.

May he rest in peace.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......