Would you vote for a United Ireland ?

Started by seafoid, November 26, 2015, 10:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you vote for a United Ireland ? If so, why?

Yes
73 (77.7%)
No
12 (12.8%)
Not sure
9 (9.6%)

Total Members Voted: 94

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on November 28, 2015, 12:31:27 AM
I do care. I want to see all of my Country free and Independent. However arrangements will have to be made for those in the 6 Cos who choose to see themselves as British.

Will they differ from the arrangements made for those in the 26 Cos who choose to see themselves as British and those in the 6 Cos who see themselves as Danish, Polish, or Samoan?

QuoteThe status quo is ok.

I loved that acoustic show last year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

periere

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2015, 01:34:20 AM
I do care. I want to see all of my Country free and Independent. However arrangements will have to be made for those in the 6 Cos who choose to see themselves as British.

Will they differ from the arrangements made for those in the 26 Cos who choose to see themselves as British and those in the 6 Cos who see themselves as Danish, Polish, or Samoan?

I know.
It's always great when the best cut through all the bullshit isn't it (wink)

armaghniac

Quote from: periere on November 28, 2015, 01:55:40 AM
I know.
It's always great when the best cut through all the bullshit isn't it (wink)

The Party Ain't Over Yet.

T Fearon

Why chase this pipe dream,that is not going to happen in any of our lifetimes? Why exchange British rule for that of Germany? There is no vision for a United Ireland, North or South,and it's not affordable.

armaghniac

Not everyone is as old as you Tony, although you wouldn't think it with your immature nonsense about Germany.

But I agree about a lack of vision.

Rossfan

Quote from: periere on November 28, 2015, 01:18:59 AM
If the "British" in the 6 counties decide they hate you and everything to do with you and decide their one goal in life is to kill you.

What words will you use then ?

I'm not saying that  your point of view does not have its merits . I just did the obvious thought experiment and came up with the cautious, but realistic, answer. We are at a very good point in our history.  The status quo is ok.
There won't be an All Ireland end game if a significant proportion of the "Nationalist/Catholic/Irish" tribe vote against it or abstain.
In 20 years time the NCIs will be the majority so they will in practice make the choice on the status of the 6 Cos.
If the 6 or 700,000 UPBs decide their one goal in life is to kill the 6 million other people in Ireland at that time.......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon link=topic=26464.msg1536800#msg1536800 in truth both communities have more in common with each other than we have with British or Southern Irish.
/quote]
Really? What do you base this on? I'd say I've a lot more in common with the "southern Irish" 15 miles down the road from me in county monaghan, than, say any one of the good folk in Carrickfergus.

Generally speaking though, I don't see any major differences between anyone on these islands. There are cultural and regional differences everywhere.. Some subtle and some not so subtle.

Rossfan

The "Southern Irish"?????
Munster only or is South Leinster included?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

I work for an Irish company (though owned by a multi National company) so would know the benefits of the cost of living or not in the south....

Higher tax than the north, paying for GP visits and A&E (which I believe will halve the amount of time wasters) do they pay for their medication? Is there free dental service for children, free glasses?? Price of drink??

And ultimately will you feel anymore Irish than you normally do?? We'll still have the same police service only different uniforms... We'll still have terrorists though they will be fighting for their freedom!!

Financially I'll be better off if we were part of the south, but public sector jobs will be at risk causing temporary unemployment....what other jobs would be under threat?? Would certain banks move out??

My point is that every day I wake up I'm still Irish..... I don't live under this British rule of hardship , that's long gone, more likely get killed by dissidents who seem to be shooting and letting off bombs in their own areas.... And trust me, they ain't doing it for Irish freedom..... Lining their pockets (as the shinners do in Stormont).

Anyway if the vote came today id vote yes....
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

I doubt if a majority of the 26 county electorate would vote for a UI,a prerequisite as well as a Northern majority I would presume.Interesting at a Brexit conference I attended in Newry (due to the location the vast majority of the audience was Northern nationalist) recently,one of the guest speakers Bertie Ahern, emphasised at the start that he was there in the capacity as a "good neighbour", not as a fellow Irish nationalist,now if that's the way an old time Fianna Fáil leader thinks,God help us all.

If by some miracle there was a majority vote in favour of a UI,North and South,Northerners would be viewed with suspicision and inevitably treated as second class citizens and not regarded as being truly Irish.

The way forward is the establishment a promotion of a Common Northern Irish identity, to push sectarianism and xenophobia out to the margins,with the existing de facto joint authority between Britain and the 26 counties,with the 26 counties beefing up their current endorsing of everything Britain says role.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on November 28, 2015, 01:27:35 PM
I doubt if a majority of the 26 county electorate would vote for a UI,a prerequisite as well as a Northern majority I would presume.Interesting at a Brexit conference I attended in Newry (due to the location the vast majority of the audience was Northern nationalist) recently,one of the guest speakers Bertie Ahern, emphasised at the start that he was there in the capacity as a "good neighbour", not as a fellow Irish nationalist,now if that's the way an old time Fianna Fáil leader thinks,God help us all.

If by some miracle there was a majority vote in favour of a UI,North and South,Northerners would be viewed with suspicision and inevitably treated as second class citizens and not regarded as being truly Irish.

The way forward is the establishment a promotion of a Common Northern Irish identity, to push sectarianism and xenophobia out to the margins,with the existing de facto joint authority between Britain and the 26 counties,with the 26 counties beefing up their current endorsing of everything Britain says role.
Don't underestimate the effect the GAA has on uniting Irish people on both sides of the border, Tony. Mickey Linden is as Irish as anyone from Mayo as far as I'm concerned and that goes for everyone else up there too.

general_lee

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2015, 01:17:29 PM
Would certain banks move out??
I'd have thought banks would welcome the move. Streamlining, cutting back on costs on operations in two jurisdictions etc.  Possibly the sad for insurance companies? Could be well off but I'd have thought the banks would be open to the move. Certainly the potential for more business.

T Fearon

Seafoid is that why during sledging many Northern GAA players are taunted about being "British" along with renditions of God Save the Queen?

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on November 28, 2015, 01:34:20 AM

Sadly most of Southern Unionism died in the 50s. Apart from maybe Eoghan Harris

seafoid

Quote from: general_lee on November 28, 2015, 04:29:15 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2015, 01:17:29 PM
Would certain banks move out??
I'd have thought banks would welcome the move. Streamlining, cutting back on costs on operations in two jurisdictions etc.  Possibly the sad for insurance companies? Could be well off but I'd have thought the banks would be open to the move. Certainly the potential for more business.
Most of the banks and insurance companies are or will be owned by foreign companies because the Southern catholics fucked up running them. They would have been better off left under Protestant management TBH. Eg AIB, BoI, Anglo, Irish Life etc