Latest Stormont Deal.

Started by T Fearon, November 17, 2015, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winghalfun

I think the election in May changed everything on all sides.

Up to that chips were being played on the basis of a hung parliament.

The only thing that this all shows is that Whitehall mandarins actually run the economy here.

Disillusioned

Quote from: general_lee on November 18, 2015, 08:47:05 AM
Right - explain to me what SF should do re welfare reform. Surely it was always a losing battle?

They could have started with being honest and admitting that in administering on behalf of the UK government they would implement the welfare reforms and use some budget to alleviate the more difficult aspects.

They could have done this a year ago and got on with administering on behalf of the UK government and with their buddies in the DUP they might have realised that the manufacturing base in this country was draining away without any attempt by the Executive to save these jobs and others that will follow.  The finger is always on their own pulse and never on that of the economy.

Just as the Good Friday agreement was aptly described by Seamus Mallon as Sunningdale for slow learners then this agreement is the Stormont House agreement for the same slow learners only it is slightly worse for the poor in this country. All delay to try and save Gerry and the southern brethren from being accused of double standards in their opposition to austerity in the Republic. Well now it is going to happen any way even when they do hand back welfare law to their UK masters.
The global warming scenario is pretty grim. I'm not sure I like the idea of polar bears under a palm

Applesisapples

Quote from: Disillusioned on November 18, 2015, 02:36:07 PM
Quote from: general_lee on November 18, 2015, 08:47:05 AM
Right - explain to me what SF should do re welfare reform. Surely it was always a losing battle?

They could have started with being honest and admitting that in administering on behalf of the UK government they would implement the welfare reforms and use some budget to alleviate the more difficult aspects.

They could have done this a year ago and got on with administering on behalf of the UK government and with their buddies in the DUP they might have realised that the manufacturing base in this country was draining away without any attempt by the Executive to save these jobs and others that will follow.  The finger is always on their own pulse and never on that of the economy.

Just as the Good Friday agreement was aptly described by Seamus Mallon as Sunningdale for slow learners then this agreement is the Stormont House agreement for the same slow learners only it is slightly worse for the poor in this country. All delay to try and save Gerry and the southern brethren from being accused of double standards in their opposition to austerity in the Republic. Well now it is going to happen any way even when they do hand back welfare law to their UK masters.
So cynical for one so young. I think SF had genuine concerns, (shared by the SDLP) on the previous deal. They have compromised and on the face it have a better deal. And why would they not have the southern election in mind, they are in politics after all? In the meantime also they deferred the worst of cuts until now.

Maguire01

Explain to me how they have a better deal?

T Fearon

It has often been the case that unionists and their political parties and leaders have been derided and ridiculed when compared with the pantheon of great nationalist leaders like Hume and Adams.

However they have maintained the Union for over 100 years,and it is now stronger than ever,whereas nationalist parties fight each other and neither has a coherent strategy for unity.Add this to the freestate government has an absolutely top priority of not alienating Britain for fear of loss of trade.

Is it any wonder support for unity Is dwindling among nationalists even

ashman

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 18, 2015, 11:59:29 PM

I suppose SF reckon taking a hit on the declining nationalist turnout is a price worth paying so they can tell us free staters they are not implementing "austerity" in the O6.

muppet

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 17, 2015, 10:48:13 PM
Quote from: Orior on November 17, 2015, 10:30:48 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 17, 2015, 10:07:46 PM
Maybe we should invade England.
What exactly do you want the " free state" Government to do?

The one thing that really disappointed me was when Dublin Government transferred NI from the Home Affairs dept to the Foreign Affairs dept. Could they have been any more insulting to northern nationalists?
When exactly did this happen? Agreed that Foreign Affairs doesn't sit right. There should be a NI dept.

Agreed this is very wrong.

Maybe it should be dealt with as part of one of the economic ministries or else the Dept of An Taoiseach.
MWWSI 2017

theticklemister

Quote from: T Fearon on November 19, 2015, 01:08:24 AM
It has often been the case that unionists and their political parties and leaders have been derided and ridiculed when compared with the pantheon of great nationalist leaders like Hume and Adams.

However they have maintained the Union for over 100 years,and it is now stronger than ever,whereas nationalist parties fight each other and neither has a coherent strategy for unity.Add this to the freestate government has an absolutely top priority of not alienating Britain for fear of loss of trade.

Is it any wonder support for unity Is dwindling among nationalists even

Tony this is the cleverest thing you have ever said! Keep it up big man

Maguire01

Quote from: ashman on November 19, 2015, 01:22:17 AM

I suppose SF reckon taking a hit on the declining nationalist turnout is a price worth paying so they can tell us free staters they are not implementing "austerity" in the O6.
But the "better deal" bit? I can't see it.

ashman

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 19, 2015, 07:07:39 AM

Politicians always oversell their achievements.  Bottom line for SF is becoming the main opposition in south after next election.   They probably see this as a price worth paying .  They generally call these things right. 

Applesisapples

Quote from: Maguire01 on November 19, 2015, 07:07:39 AM

The alternative is the tory Government implementing full austerity measures so a reasonable compromise.

Applesisapples

I have found myself disagreeing with Tony a lot recently over his homophobic urges, but his assessment on the prospect of unity is on the money.

Rossfan

So if Northern Nationalists don't want an independent All Ireland State why are they still called " Nationalists".
Why don't they do the logical thing and vote Alliance?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

general_lee

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/unification-of-ireland-could-bring-in-36-5bn-in-eight-years-1.2435505

I wonder had the Nolan poll from a few weeks ago included the above how different the results would have been.

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...