Crown Jewels on Tour

Started by Nihilist, November 15, 2015, 11:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nihilist

Joe Brolly has an interesting anecdote to Roscommon  in today's Sindo.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-elitism-is-destroying-our-games-and-our-players-34201462.html

Essentially its in paragraph 3 that's the interesting bit about a former Roscommon team parading themselves naked  through the Hotel after a game. I don't know if they won the game or not but maybe some of the folk on here can answer ?

Also this happened (I think) when Ross were in Div1. 
So will it be again the norm now they are back?

Shrewdness

Some of the Mayo posters are suffering flashbacks after reading Joe Brolly's column. First of all, on a different thread, we had Lar Naparka highlighting Karol Mannion's inter county retirement, a few years after it actually happened!!...Now we have Nihilist dragging up something that happened about 13 years ago, and is a bollocks of a story  ;D

muppet

Quote from: Nihilist on November 15, 2015, 11:57:56 PM

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-elitism-is-destroying-our-games-and-our-players-34201462.html

Essentially its in paragraph 3 that's the interesting bit about a former Roscommon team parading themselves naked  through the Hotel after a game. I don't know if they won the game or not but maybe some of the folk on here can answer ?

The fictional 'interview' with MM was definitely Mickey Harte!  ;D
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

What a load of rubbish.
If ye want to go back further Jamsie Murray left Sam in the middle of the Main St in Knockcroghery in 1972.
Also Micky Freyne allegedly drank a rake of porther the night before the 1972 Connacht Final.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on November 16, 2015, 02:06:10 AM
What a load of rubbish.
If ye want to go back further Jamsie Murray left Sam in the middle of the Main St in Knockcroghery in 1972.
Also Micky Freyne allegedly drank a rake of porther the night before the 1972 Connacht Final.
Mark it down Ross, I actually agree with you on this one!
An awful lot was made of the players getting a bit tipsy in that Donegal hotel; you'd think it was the end of the world if you were to take what appeared in the press afterwards.
Any one who spent months beforehand training hard and abstaining from the booze could get pissed after one or two drinks. No big deal about that. I bet most teams in similar situations would get up to the same craic.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 16, 2015, 11:40:28 AM
What a load of rubbish.
An awful lot was made of the players getting a bit tipsy in that Donegal hotel; you'd think it was the end of the world if you were to take what appeared in the press afterwards.
Any one who spent months beforehand training hard and abstaining from the booze could get pissed after one or two drinks. No big deal about that. I bet most teams in similar situations would get up to the same craic.

The players succeeded in suing the newspapers involved and forced them to issue retractions. But that always seems to get lost in the wash.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2015, 12:31:30 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on November 16, 2015, 11:40:28 AM
What a load of rubbish.

The players succeeded in suing the newspapers involved and forced them to issue retractions. But that always seems to get lost in the wash.
Proper order too. The papers had little else to do when they made a big deal out of that incident.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

BennyHarp

Quote from: Nihilist on November 15, 2015, 11:57:56 PM

Does Joe churn out that old mock Marty Morrissey interview in all his articles?
http://gaeliclife.com/counties/joe-brolly-a-sad-day-when-the-beast-is-talking-without-talking/
That was never a square ball!!

Nihilist

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 16, 2015, 12:15:07 AM
Some of the Mayo posters are suffering flashbacks after reading Joe Brolly's column. First of all, on a different thread, we had Lar Naparka highlighting Karol Mannion's inter county retirement, a few years after it actually happened!!...Now we have Nihilist dragging up something that happened about 13 years ago, and is a bollocks of a story  ;D

Don't think you should have any beef with me.  When I read it I thought it might help explain a bit maybe about Harney having a grab for Barry Moran there a coupe of weeks ago.  ;)  But anyway it was Brolly who had it in the Sunday national. I just want to know if that's the way ye will be going forward.

rosnarun

WAs there not a pool table and a ripped baize involved in this story too?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Shrewdness

One could nearly be forgiven for thinking that this thread was started up to take the Rossie posters away from the ''Mayo Manager thread''.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 17, 2015, 06:05:28 PM
One could nearly be forgiven for thinking that this thread was started up to take the Rossie posters away from the ''Mayo Manager thread''.

Why are Roscommon supporters so concerned about Mayo's manager anyway?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 17, 2015, 06:10:37 PM
Quote from: Shrewdness on November 17, 2015, 06:05:28 PM

Why are Roscommon supporters so concerned about Mayo's manager anyway?

Why were Mayo supporters so concerned about Roscommon's manager?

Cunny Funt

Joe Brolly thinks GAA footballers take the sport too serious nowadays isn't he the same guy that said Galway senior footballers didn't take football serious enough two years ago?