French Terrorist Attacks

Started by easytiger95, November 13, 2015, 09:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 15, 2015, 11:37:52 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2015, 10:36:16 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2015, 01:50:24 AM
This is well worth a read as well. It hits a very uncomfortable nail bang on the head. I am certainly guilty of accusation made, namely why are we not sympathising with the innocent dead of Beirut as well?

http://stateofmind13.com/2015/11/14/from-beirut-this-is-paris-in-a-world-that-doesnt-care-about-arab-lives/

100% agree, deaths in non-western countries don't seem to count as much.

As an aside, I have never been to Beirut, but I understand that it is a beautiful place and I'm am reliably told the women are stunning. Ironically it is often called the Paris of the Middle East.

Beirut is a beautiful city and going for a pint on Gemmayzeh Street in the middle of it you may as well be in Greenwich village, Temple Bar or similar.

It's also somewhere you need to be on edge and need to carry your passport as you will be stopped at checkpoints and no passport generally means a trip to the barracks depending on the security tensions at the time.

macdanger2

Quote from: heffo on November 15, 2015, 04:08:26 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2015, 12:55:09 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 15, 2015, 11:37:52 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 15, 2015, 10:36:16 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 15, 2015, 01:50:24 AM
This is well worth a read as well. It hits a very uncomfortable nail bang on the head. I am certainly guilty of accusation made, namely why are we not sympathising with the innocent dead of Beirut as well?

http://stateofmind13.com/2015/11/14/from-beirut-this-is-paris-in-a-world-that-doesnt-care-about-arab-lives/

100% agree, deaths in non-western countries don't seem to count as much.

As an aside, I have never been to Beirut, but I understand that it is a beautiful place and I'm am reliably told the women are stunning. Ironically it is often called the Paris of the Middle East.

Beirut is a beautiful city and going for a pint on Gemmayzeh Street in the middle of it you may as well be in Greenwich village, Temple Bar or similar.

It's also somewhere you need to be on edge and need to carry your passport as you will be stopped at checkpoints and no passport generally means a trip to the barracks depending on the security tensions at the time.

I was there in 09, was a brilliant spot, no hassle, no tension, everyone very friendly

foxcommander

Quote from: easytiger95 on November 15, 2015, 11:37:04 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 15, 2015, 11:04:54 AM
Quote from: foxcommander on November 15, 2015, 03:24:02 AM
Quote from: gallsman on November 14, 2015, 03:22:59 AMThis is nothing to do with immigration.

Of course it does. Stop deluding yourself. This is the result of immigration from years ago.
The seeds of the next phase of immigration issues are being sewn right now. And the liberal idiots of Europe are waving flags welcoming them to their countries. Fools.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the irish navy boats ferried one of the paris attackers over. There's always the chance they did.

What a great idea that was.

Spoken by someone who has lived much of his life abroad. What do we do? Only accept immigrants from countries we like?

Really glad Fox, that the death of 128 people and the injury of 300 others has allowed you the opportunity to proclaim that your political views have been vindicated. Every cloud has a silver lining and all that.

I stand by my viewpoint that the current attitude to immigration and integration need to be reviewed because you open up the possibility of further unrest and chaos. You can't just think short term either. What is the real plan for Europe? This opening borders question needs to be answered correctly.

No silver lining in this. To make that comment is pretty low.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

whitey

Halfway through  Leon Panetas book......he advocated against withdrawal from Iraq and I think he's been proven right.

AZOffaly

I see France has launched a massive air strike against ISIS in Syria. It's just so sad all around. The death toll will probably be more than Friday night. And those lunatics who carried out the attacks will get more recruits.

But what can France do. They had to strike back. Maybe I read too much vince Flynn, but would a few teams of special forces types not be able to track down and execute targets? I hate the bombings, but I'd be fine with a few of them lads in high positions taken out.

smelmoth

Whilst there are very view people in Ireland, north and south, interested in kidnapping, bombing and shooting, there does remain, north and south a tiny minority who do look to selective reading of ancient texts for backing for their biases, prejudices and demands for laws to be based upon these ancient texts. Time for the world to grow up

ONeill

The Facebook war is nearly as bad. You have people pontificating about others showing support for Paris and not others. Zuckerberg is laughing into his caviar.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2015, 10:07:37 PM
I see France has launched a massive air strike against ISIS in Syria. It's just so sad all around. The death toll will probably be more than Friday night. And those lunatics who carried out the attacks will get more recruits.

But what can France do. They had to strike back. Maybe I read too much vince Flynn, but would a few teams of special forces types not be able to track down and execute targets? I hate the bombings, but I'd be fine with a few of them lads in high positions taken out.

Colonel Steve Warren, a spokesman for US military claims that one IS leader has been killed every day since may. Jihadi John was 'evaporated ' by drones controlled from Nevada! Baghdadi was badly wounded earlier this year and has gone into hiding. But he is on borrowed time.
Not sure about more recruits. The vast majority of Muslims are appalled by this barbarity. Many radicals are already in Syria (estimate 1500 Britons among them).
The thing now is to stop them returning. Logistically this is a good thing. Having most of these lunatics in the same region is good. A concerted campaign can destroy them. Get rid of the rogue preachers like Baghdadi and the movement will lose momentum. There will be cells in Europe that will take mopping up but they might lose their appetite for blowing themselves up when the core driving this cult of destruction is destroyed.
Unfortunately there will be innocent casualties but that is nothing new. The days of 2 armies going at it across a grassy field is long gone.
I assume that the French strikes are specific as well.

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: moysider on November 16, 2015, 12:06:29 AM

Colonel Steve Warren, a spokesman for US military claims that one IS leader has been killed every day since may. Jihadi John was 'evaporated ' by drones controlled from Nevada! Baghdadi was badly wounded earlier this year and has gone into hiding. But he is on borrowed time.
Not sure about more recruits. The vast majority of Muslims are appalled by this barbarity. Many radicals are already in Syria (estimate 1500 Britons among them).
The thing now is to stop them returning. Logistically this is a good thing. Having most of these lunatics in the same region is good. A concerted campaign can destroy them. Get rid of the rogue preachers like Baghdadi and the movement will lose momentum. There will be cells in Europe that will take mopping up but they might lose their appetite for blowing themselves up when the core driving this cult of destruction is destroyed.
Unfortunately there will be innocent casualties but that is nothing new. The days of 2 armies going at it across a grassy field is long gone.

Where to even start with all that  ::)

stew

148 students were killed in Kenya and not a word about it!

Double standards across the board here, if not is not a factor nobody in power gives a shit!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

stew

142 students killed in Kenya. Where's the international outrage?
by Kimberly Brooks | April 14, 2015 11:23 a.m.
Earlier this month, Kenya was rocked with a terror attack that left 148 people dead. Of those, 142 were students.

The brutal massacre happened April 2 at Garissa University College in the eastern part of the country close to the porous Somali border.

Members of the Islamic extremist group Al-Shabab claimed responsibility — calling it revenge for Kenyan troops fighting Somali rebels in 2011. This same group gained international attention in 2013 when they brutally killed 67 people at the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi.

At Garissa, a handful of militants stormed the campus. After separating Muslims from Christians, they killed the Christians execution style.

The New York Times called it the worst terror attack against the nation since 1998 when the US embassy was bombed in the capital. Yet, many felt the atrocity did not garner as much attention as other international terrorist attacks. The frustration played out on social media with tweets like this

Terrorism theorist Max Abrahms, from Northeastern University said there is no one explanation, but thinks there is an element of racism at play.

"In the Garissa University attack, both the perpetrator and the victims are black and that may help to explain why the international community paid relatively little attention," he said. "Another explanation is I believe there is probably weak local media coverage within Kenya . We didn't actually watch in real time and that's different say than in the case of Charlie Hebdo. "

The twelve French cartoonists were mourned from every corner of the globe in January. In that very same week, hundreds were massacred in the city of Baga in Nigeria. With little attention, Nigerians used the only tool that seemed effective — a hashtag — #JeSuisNigerian.

And now Kenyans, in hopes their loved ones will never be forgotten are sharing pictures of when the victims were alive using the hashtag "#147isnotjustanumber," a reference to the initial victim count.

Since the attack, the Kenyan government vowed they will respond in the severest way possible. Last week they bombed two Al-Shabab training camps.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

moysider

Quote from: Arthur_Friend on November 16, 2015, 12:15:28 AM
Quote from: moysider on November 16, 2015, 12:06:29 AM

Where to even start with all that  ::)

Have a go.

What do you suggest should happen? Just put up with this? Hold a few summits about global warming, population explosion etc? These issues need to be addressed but they have been in the frame for 30 years+ and won t be addressed any time soon.

theskull1

Interesting perspective from Irish journalist Geroid O'Colman

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=10a_1447626668
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

moysider

Quote from: stew on November 16, 2015, 12:21:11 AM
142 students killed in Kenya. Where's the international outrage?
by Kimberly Brooks | April 14, 2015 11:23 a.m.
Earlier this month, Kenya was rocked with a terror attack that left 148 people dead. Of those, 142 were students.

The brutal massacre happened April 2 at Garissa University College in the eastern part of the country close to the porous Somali border.

Members of the Islamic extremist group Al-Shabab claimed responsibility — calling it revenge for Kenyan troops fighting Somali rebels in 2011. This same group gained international attention in 2013 when they brutally killed 67 people at the Westgate Shopping Mall in Nairobi.

At Garissa, a handful of militants stormed the campus. After separating Muslims from Christians, they killed the Christians execution style.

The New York Times called it the worst terror attack against the nation since 1998 when the US embassy was bombed in the capital. Yet, many felt the atrocity did not garner as much attention as other international terrorist attacks. The frustration played out on social media with tweets like this

Terrorism theorist Max Abrahms, from Northeastern University said there is no one explanation, but thinks there is an element of racism at play.

"In the Garissa University attack, both the perpetrator and the victims are black and that may help to explain why the international community paid relatively little attention," he said. "Another explanation is I believe there is probably weak local media coverage within Kenya . We didn't actually watch in real time and that's different say than in the case of Charlie Hebdo. "

The twelve French cartoonists were mourned from every corner of the globe in January. In that very same week, hundreds were massacred in the city of Baga in Nigeria. With little attention, Nigerians used the only tool that seemed effective — a hashtag — #JeSuisNigerian.

And now Kenyans, in hopes their loved ones will never be forgotten are sharing pictures of when the victims were alive using the hashtag "#147isnotjustanumber," a reference to the initial victim count.

Since the attack, the Kenyan government vowed they will respond in the severest way possible. Last week they bombed two Al-Shabab training camps.

Hardly double standards Stew. The Kenyan government responded the same way as others have done against IS.
Of course Paris will get more attention in this part of the world. It's closer to home and we are all part of the EU.

Most of the French team v Germany were not white. I'm sure some were muslim. One of the players ( who may be a muslim) had a cousin killed elsewhere in the city. I m sure there were muslims among the dead - apart from the gunmen.
I think people are muddying the waters with this double standards tangent.