International Rules Squad

Started by WT4E, November 11, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohtoohtobe

Have to say I think the rules have been tipped too far in our favour, particularly now that the Aussies have to go softer in the tackle.
I'd get rid of six pointers to even it up a little. Them having to try to train someone to play a completely alien position in a few weeks is a bit too much when they already have to adapt to a round ball and rectangular pitch. Then just have it six points through the big sticks, one through the little ones.
It would be more of a challenge. At the moment most Australians labour under the impression that they're playing us at gaelic football without understanding the many subtle differences. You can try to explain that we'd beat them in an actual Gaelic match by about 3-18 to 1-4 but they don't get it.

lenny

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 23, 2015, 02:35:39 AM
Have to say I think the rules have been tipped too far in our favour, particularly now that the Aussies have to go softer in the tackle.
I'd get rid of six pointers to even it up a little. Them having to try to train someone to play a completely alien position in a few weeks is a bit too much when they already have to adapt to a round ball and rectangular pitch. Then just have it six points through the big sticks, one through the little ones.
It would be more of a challenge. At the moment most Australians labour under the impression that they're playing us at gaelic football without understanding the many subtle differences. You can try to explain that we'd beat them in an actual Gaelic match by about 3-18 to 1-4 but they don't get it.

I really enjoyed the game on sat evening. Having said that I think it would be worth trying the oval ball for a year or 2. I think the top gaa players would adapt better to it than the aussies do to the round ball.

David McKeown

Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on November 23, 2015, 02:35:39 AM

Strange I was actually thinking they should up the score for a goal to 7 or 8 points as a goal only being worth 2 x an over does adequately reward it for me. I think more points for a goal might make the Aussies more keen to try for them/try and prevent them
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Croí na hÉireann

Enjoyable night in Croker but the pulse only quickened in the last quarter when the Aussies put on a big push and nearly squeezed home. Surprising little mention of the Aussie tactic of leaving our FF line unmarked for our kickouts and crowding the middle. Only for Aidan O'Shea we could have been in big trouble here. Kickouts beyond the 45 would only work if you introduced the mark as the middle was more congested for the kickouts than the Donegal defensive zone.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyCake

Can't understand the obsession of turning Gaelic football into Aussie Rules. Four quarters were experimented, kicks from the hands, and the mark. Why not just have an extra few posts too?

Timekeeping, Hawkeye, yellow cards etc is fine, but if they make any more rule changes, our game will be unrecognisable.

Personally, I'd reduce team numbers to improve it as there's just too many players on the pitch. It might help the overcrowding issue and allow the more skillful players the space to thrive. Unless you're built like a shithouse, you are at a severe disadvantage.

50fiftyball

Was down myself on Saturday night and I'd agree Benny, the smaller players definitely did not have the same impact - Peter Harte, Matty Donnelly as strong as he is I thought struggled to make an impression. Brennan, O'Se, Quinn to name a few all got stuck in and suited the game better.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Throw ball on November 22, 2015, 02:44:52 PMThink the padded posts is a great idea and should be introduced to all pitches. The kick out past the 45 worked well but if introduced to GAA Aidan O'Shea should be banned from that area as no one else would get a chance! :)

The kick out past the 45 worked because neither manager pulled back their forwards - if it was introduced into Gaelic you would have the team who weren't kicking out the ball pulling all their players back to at least the 45m line to contest/congest the central area. You could have it that there would only be limited numbers of players in certain areas of the field but I can see it being very messy for refs to keep on top of.

The padded posts is definitely something that should be looked at - only problem is could make shots for goals that hit off the post very messy.

Syferus

Padded posts in a sport where the aim of the sport is shooting into a goal is madness.

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2015, 03:55:11 PM
Padded posts in a sport where the aim of the sport is shooting into a goal is madness.

It most certainly isn't... there are lots of injuries from people smacking into the post in GAA!!

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on November 23, 2015, 03:56:36 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 23, 2015, 03:55:11 PM

It most certainly isn't... there are lots of injuries from people smacking into the post in GAA!!

Very few in the grand scheme of things. It's not something we should be game-planning against.

I can't think of any major sport where padded posts are used when there's a goal that's being targeted by shots. Not ice hockey, not soccer and not even European handball.

AZOffaly

Is that not what happened Ronan Clarke? I notice the Boys national school here in Newport have their uprights padded. I thought it was a good idea, especially for young lads.

Croí na hÉireann

I think we'll see a reversion back to the old square ball rule before we see padded posts brought in.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

yellowcard

A game where the score doesn't really matter to anyone bar those involved is hard to get too excited about. That said, it passed an hour and it is always interesting to see how some of the top gaelic players react in a more physical environment. Conor McManus pulled out of a serious amount of balls, while Brogan couldn't get rid of the ball quick enough for fear of being tackled (although he did well on occasions to be fair to him). Gary Brennan and Aidan O'Se were those who shone the most and it was only Ireland's greater ability at working goal chances that won them the match. Australia were better up until 45m from goals but Ireland had the better finishers. Overall though, the reality is that without the dust ups and physicality this game will always be a hard sell.   

trileacman

Found it a bit like netball with all the marks to be honest. Bit soft to see the ball move from one end of the park to another without a man getting a hand in or anyone being put under pressure.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

BennyCake

Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 23, 2015, 02:06:49 PM
Was down myself on Saturday night and I'd agree Benny, the smaller players definitely did not have the same impact - Peter Harte, Matty Donnelly as strong as he is I thought struggled to make an impression. Brennan, O'Se, Quinn to name a few all got stuck in and suited the game better.

I actually meant the smaller players not having a impact in Gaelic. Although the same applies to this game too.