Started by WT4E, November 11, 2015, 12:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Beffs on November 22, 2015, 03:02:47 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2015, 01:39:38 AM
Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2015, 09:52:45 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 21, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
What are you taking about? Brogan was excellent. Will someone please do something about Martin Carney!!!

Some of his shooting was excellent but I also thought he had a problem with being able to pass the ball.

Don't know about that in fairness. You don't want a killer marksman to be a team player. I didn't think he was selfish, he is there to finish and he did. One of the best footballers in Ireland.

Killer marksman, me hole. He's not ruthless enough to be considered one. He would need to sharpen up his reactions to finishing ruthlessly, and he'd also need to learn to be aware of teammates in better positions.

Sharpen up his reactions? Are you joking? You do realize that he scored 6-21 from open play this year.....far, far, far above what any other player scored from open play.

He was 3rd in the over all scoring stats. He would have been first, if you remove Cillian O'Connor and Sean Quigley's pts from frees, from the equation. He also set up countless other Dublin players for goals all year... Exhibit A being the goal he handed Philly McMahon on a platter, in the Mayo semi final replay.

Only third, having played Longford, Fermanagh, Westmeath and a brutal Kildare team? And all matches at home?!

Oh, McMahons goal that he over-carried and then threw to him?

He's a decent player but I know I'd rather have in my team, a McDonnell, Cooper, Canavan, Murphy. Players that were more ruthless in front of goal and could get scores from nothing, goals in particular.

He had 3 or 4 goal chances last night and took none. His awareness around him was ridiculous. And the one time he did pass, he couldn't even execute a simple two yard fistpass across the square... it nearly got McBrearty killed against the post.

Beffs

Well go on then... point me toward a player that scored more goals than him last year & was more ruthless in front of goal than him then....

Or are you going to move the goal posts again & decide that his goals don't count because of who he played or the manner of how they were scored? Right you are so.... :o

Zulu

Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2015, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: Beffs on November 22, 2015, 03:02:47 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 22, 2015, 01:39:38 AM
Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2015, 09:52:45 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on November 21, 2015, 09:30:21 PM
Quote from: Zulu on November 21, 2015, 08:50:04 PM
What are you taking about? Brogan was excellent. Will someone please do something about Martin Carney!!!

Some of his shooting was excellent but I also thought he had a problem with being able to pass the ball.

Don't know about that in fairness. You don't want a killer marksman to be a team player. I didn't think he was selfish, he is there to finish and he did. One of the best footballers in Ireland.

Killer marksman, me hole. He's not ruthless enough to be considered one. He would need to sharpen up his reactions to finishing ruthlessly, and he'd also need to learn to be aware of teammates in better positions.

Sharpen up his reactions? Are you joking? You do realize that he scored 6-21 from open play this year.....far, far, far above what any other player scored from open play.

He was 3rd in the over all scoring stats. He would have been first, if you remove Cillian O'Connor and Sean Quigley's pts from frees, from the equation. He also set up countless other Dublin players for goals all year... Exhibit A being the goal he handed Philly McMahon on a platter, in the Mayo semi final replay.

Only third, having played Longford, Fermanagh, Westmeath and a brutal Kildare team? And all matches at home?!

Oh, McMahons goal that he over-carried and then threw to him?

He's a decent player but I know I'd rather have in my team, a McDonnell, Cooper, Canavan, Murphy. Players that were more ruthless in front of goal and could get scores from nothing, goals in particular.

He had 3 or 4 goal chances last night and took none. His awareness around him was ridiculous. And the one time he did pass, he couldn't even execute a simple two yard fistpass across the square... it nearly got McBrearty killed against the post.

Oh dear. All we can hope is that you don't really believe what you're saying.

Beffs

So it's also Brogans fault that "nearly got McBreaty killed" now is it?

http://www.the42.ie/paddy-mcbrearty-goalpost-irs-test-2460052-Nov2015/

You really have a vendetta against him, don't you? Is there anything else that you'd like to blame on him...the conflict in the Middle East, world hunger perhaps ?  ::)

From the Bunker

The tackle caught out Brogan last night. As with any GAA player he is used to the shadow contact of our game. Even the fans thought it was a penalty when he was pulled down one on one with the Goalkeeper. Hard to change old habits of 20 years plus to accommodate a one off game. Also with the Aussie goalkeeper being a novice, Any sort of a half chance has to be taken. You'll expect him (the goalkeeper) not to be up to much and if you hang around you'll end up with your face in the mud. He did not have one of his better days yesterday, but to judge how good or Average he is as a player on a hybrid game last night is looking at things out of context.

manfromdelmonte

I thought Morgan was a liability

the kickout past the 45 is a brilliant idea.
lots of high fielding

From the Bunker

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 22, 2015, 01:25:31 PM
I thought Morgan was a liability

the kickout past the 45 is a brilliant idea.
lots of high fielding
Would this rule not suit the Blanket defence?

BennyCake

Quote from: Beffs on November 22, 2015, 01:20:25 PM
So it's also Brogans fault that "nearly got McBreaty killed" now is it?

http://www.the42.ie/paddy-mcbrearty-goalpost-irs-test-2460052-Nov2015/

You really have a vendetta against him, don't you? Is there anything else that you'd like to blame on him...the conflict in the Middle East, world hunger perhaps ?  ::)

I don't have a vendetta against him. I'm merely explaining my point. I've said he's a decent player but he's overhyped.

And yes, McBrearty collided with the post due to Brogans poorly executed pass.

Zulu

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 01:22:11 PM
The tackle caught out Brogan last night. As with any GAA player he is used to the shadow contact of our game. Even the fans thought it was a penalty when he was pulled down one on one with the Goalkeeper. Hard to change old habits of 20 years plus to accommodate a one off game. Also with the Aussie goalkeeper being a novice, Any sort of a half chance has to be taken. You'll expect him (the goalkeeper) not to be up to much and if you hang around you'll end up with your face in the mud. He did not have one of his better days yesterday, but to judge how good or Average he is as a player on a hybrid game last night is looking at things out of context.

Brogan was excellent last night, one of Irelands best.

QuoteI don't have a vendetta against him. I'm merely explaining my point. I've said he's a decent player but he's overhyped.

If that's your opinion then fine but it wouldn't be shared by many and there is no evidence to support it.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Zulu on November 22, 2015, 01:35:42 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 01:22:11 PM

Brogan was excellent last night, one of Irelands best.

He did ok. I was defending him for being greedy! Look don't take it so seriously! It's a Mickey Mouse game to create an international feel to  Gaelic football and to see good players from different counties play together. The Gouch one of the better forwards in the country played a series once (I think) and had a stinker. It has no relevance on how good a GAA player you are.

Zulu

Last nights game has nothing to do with what we are taking about. I don't think BennyCake is suggesting Brogan is overrated based on last night alone and nobody else is saying otherwise based on last night either. However, if you were you'd conclude Brogan was an excellent player.

Syferus

Brogan was good taking points at tight angles. Passing, not so much. Can't understand the attack / defence force stuff for him here though.

Throw ball

Enjoyed the game last night but Croke Park was absolutely freezing. Think the padded posts is a great idea and should be introduced to all pitches. The kick out past the 45 worked well but if introduced to GAA Aidan O'Shea should be banned from that area as no one else would get a chance! :) As for Brogan, in a way I can see were Benny is coming from but I would always want him on my team. Quality player.

StephenC

Brogan is an absolute class act. Anyone saying anything else is a clown.

Bad enough tackle on Paddy but I hear he's fine.

bennydorano

First Rules game i've really enjoyed in a while, I used to be a big fan but like a lot of people felt it was heading the way of the Railway Cup, my 2 young sons thoroughly enjoyed it (TV) but i have to say it never once crossed my mind to look about tickets, I probably will the next time we are at home.