Dropping the under 21 Championship for fuball

Started by seafoid, November 08, 2015, 09:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Here is the GAA paper

http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/publications/fixtures_and_results/GAA%20Discussion%20Paper%2003_11_2015.pdf
at certain times of the year, talented
players in the 17-21 age-group (who have
come to be referred to as elite players) are
being asked to train too much, to play too
many matches for too many teams, and
are afforded too little time for rest and
recovery, leading to significant physical and
psychological strains;

Brolly
http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/joe-brolly-drift-towards-capitalism-is-sucking-life-out-of-the-gaa-34180738.html
Duffy correctly identifies this 17-21 age grouping as an injury minefield. At the turn of the year, when Tommy Moolick, Kildare's star midfielder, badly damaged his knee playing for UCD against Kildare, it was his third game in seven days. "What these guys are being put under is just mental," said Jason Ryan.

this is another very good presentation

http://ulster.gaa.ie/wp-content/uploads/coaching/coachingconf2015/injury-prevention.pdf

ck

A club mate of mine last year made the U.21 county team. He was also playing for his college in Sigerson. The county senior manager also asked him to train with seniors and play in the FBD. He wanted to play for them all as any young lad would but what should have been a great period in his life became a nightmare. He got injured at training, re injured for U.21s and was out for most of the season. He has hardly played for our club this year.

You have to question the validity to the U.21 competitions. They simply serve to flog this age group who are getting way too much football as it is.

AZOffaly

You can limit the football without dropping the grade. I believe the step up from Minor to Senior is too steep, and if you have no U21 grade, you'll have more lads just out of minor in with the seniors, which if anything will make the problem worse.

If you only allow them to play 1 grade at county level, then I think that would solve a lot of the problems straight away. They would train and play only with the U21s until the U21s were out of the competition, or if they step up, they have to leave the u21 panel.

I have a problem with the college competitions too, and I would certainly sacrifice them before I'd sacrifice the U21 grade, but even if we left them be, and stopped our U21s playing League or FBD/O'Byrne Cup it would help that age group.

I don't see how either a) Having no county football between 17 (in the new world) and 21 is a good thing, nor can I see that bringing a raft of 18 year olds into the Senior Setup is a positive either.

Keyser soze

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2015, 11:10:31 AM
You can limit the football without dropping the grade. I believe the step up from Minor to Senior is too steep, and if you have no U21 grade, you'll have more lads just out of minor in with the seniors, which if anything will make the problem worse.

If you only allow them to play 1 grade at county level, then I think that would solve a lot of the problems straight away. They would train and play only with the U21s until the U21s were out of the competition, or if they step up, they have to leave the u21 panel.

I have a problem with the college competitions too, and I would certainly sacrifice them before I'd sacrifice the U21 grade, but even if we left them be, and stopped our U21s playing League or FBD/O'Byrne Cup it would help that age group.

I don't see how either a) Having no county football between 17 (in the new world) and 21 is a good thing, nor can I see that bringing a raft of 18 year olds into the Senior Setup is a positive either.

What he said. saved me a lot of typing.

five points

Cavan operated this system from 2010 to 2013 and it worked perfectly. It did weaken our seniors a bit and prolonged our stay in Division 3, but allowed a whole group of young lads to develop properly while achieving well at under-21s.

Rossfan

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 10, 2015, 12:46:54 PM

Ditto.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

On the other hand, winning 4 under 21 all Irelands did nothing for Galway  >:( so we'd be better  off without it

AZOffaly

Winning a lock of minor hurling titles didn't do much either :)

seafoid

U21s feature on a lot of county teams especially where talent is in short supply. It won't be an easy change. 
Overall senior teams should feature 23+ I think . The injuries are just not worth it.

ck

Only allowed to play one grade at county level is an very good idea but it won't happen. Too many ego maniac managers who want their cake and eat it. Also agree with your point on college competitions, personally I would disallow county players from playing for colleges and therefore effectively taking all this scholarship crap away from colleges.

seafoid

Quote from: ck on November 10, 2015, 09:22:53 PM

Only allowed to play one grade at county level is an very good idea but it won't happen. Too many ego maniac managers who want their cake and eat it. Also agree with your point on college competitions, personally I would disallow county players from playing for colleges and therefore effectively taking all this scholarship crap away from colleges.
Are there any stats on counties playing u21s at senior level and how many are banjaxed?

Throw ball

Quote from: ck on November 10, 2015, 09:22:53 PM

Agree there. However, if a team was just banned if they broke the rules managers would soon catch on or be shipped out.

On another note. If the hurling does not have to be stopped because it is played at a different time of the year can the football not just be moved? I remember Armagh winning an under 21 football All Ireland in October 2004. Alternatively if all competitions are to switch to the calendar year will the hurling under 21s not interfere with club fixtures, remembering dual players.

Rossfan

I see the Uachtaràn has conceded that abolishing the U21 fupple isn't on following his chats with the Counties.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Rossfan on November 10, 2015, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on November 10, 2015, 12:46:54 PM

Ditto.

Me too  :)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either