[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 10:34:54 PM
Similarly I would disown a family member if he or she murdered,raped,burgled etc,at least until they showed signs of true remorse.I am also sure that the family member disowned would have little care about being disowned.

You think if you disowned a gay family member that they 'would have little care about being disowned'?

This is the beauty of your argument. You can decide how people feel, even if you have judged, humiliated and destroyed them, you will have no doubt how they feel about it and you will have nothing to worry about.

People looking back on history might wonder how the world gets to a situation whereby someone can be so f*cked up and commit terrible atrocities against his fellow man, and feel no remorse.

The answer almost always involved buying into some dogma or other.

Well see exhibit a) above.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Ffs is disowning a family member (ie not talking or associating with them due to disapproving of their lifestyle) any worse than the fallouts in families over money or disapproval of marrying someone considered beneath that family member (albeit a member of the opposite sex)?

We're not talking about gas chambers or holocausts😠

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 10:51:32 PM
Ffs is disowning a family member (ie not talking or associating with them due to disapproving of their lifestyle) any worse than the fallouts in families over money or disapproval of marrying someone considered beneath that family member (albeit a member of the opposite sex)?

We're not talking about gas chambers or holocausts😠

You are talking about them as the equals of murderers and muggers of elderly.

You are even telling us how they will feel after you disown them.

There is nothing about them that matters, only you. That is exactly the type of personality that, in other circumstances, can easily justify any behaviour.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

So a simple dislike of someone or disconnect from someone due to disapproval makes everyone of us a potential murderer?

omochain

NO
But a wee bit of tolerance would help reduce your blood pressure considerably.
BTW where you at SPCA during the 1960's
L

T Fearon

Tolerance does not equate to approval of things one believes to be wrong.

SPCA in the 70s,not 60s (not that fecking old😂)

Maguire01

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 10:39:18 PM
The fear is in the notion that it was perchance "created"
There is absolutely no fear. Even if, by some massive stretch, all the science was wrong and the earth was only 6,000 years old, where's the fear? There is none.

imtommygunn

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 05:57:13 AM
So a simple dislike of someone or disconnect from someone due to disapproval makes everyone of us a potential murderer?

You seem to equate sins and have grouped homosexuality and things like murder several times...

It is no-one but you making this comparison. (Well ok there was one other early on...)

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2015, 05:57:13 AM

As imtommygunn said, you are the one connecting gays and murderers.

Disowning someone is not mere disapproval. Many parent disapprove of their kids actions, but they don't disown them. You have repeatedly said you would disown someone who is gay, just as you would disown a murderer.

To even a causal reader here it os obvious that you have no empathy for anyone anywhere.

Would you say people who commit atrocities have any empathy?

MWWSI 2017

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 10:39:18 PM
The fear is in the notion that it was perchance "created"

No it is not.

You rarely hear of people being ridiculed for theistic evolutionary views, such as that espoused by the catholic church, wherein the earth and universe unfolded as suggested by scientific research, but where a god was ultimately the creator and at some point instilled a soul into the human evolutionary lineage. That viewpoint is, at least, consistent with science, rendering onto Caesar, so to speak.

Young earth creationism, on the other hand, is utterly anti-science, dishonest and replete with fraud and logical fallacies. They begin with their biblical account and label everything that does not fit with their literal interpretation as fraudulent. It is their laughable anti-science propaganda and their ludicrous attempts at "scientific" proofs of their views that elicit (and warrant) ridicule.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 06:00:55 PM
Jesus hung around with "dodgy" characters for one reason.To attempt to get them to change. No point in him hanging around with good people,it wasn't them who he came to save.How hard is that to understand? By hanging around with them,he wasn't condoning their lifestyles or their sinful ways,he wanted them to repent and lead decent sin free lives.

To clarify my position,in the course of my daily life I have normal everyday dealings with members of the LBGT community.In my dealings I treat these people with courtesy and respect as I try to do with everyone.But I would not accept an invitation to a gay wedding or civil partnership ceremony.
Tony I'd say that won't be an issue you'll have.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on November 10, 2015, 09:35:36 PM
Whether Jesus existed,or is the Son of God can neither be proved or disproved.I,along with millions of others believe he did exist and was the Son of God.What is wrong with that? Why are so many,as evidenced by this thread,not content to simply disagree with this but feel the need to ridicule this belief? Deep down do they fear it might just be true,and that their eternal destiny is dark?
Absolutely nothing wrong with you beliefs, except when you deny others the right to their beliefs and adopt a fundamentalist approach that cause hurt and exclusion and ridicule, even referring to Gay people as "these people" is insulting. You and your fundamentalist equivalents in the protestant churches are the reason many people are turned of by religion. You demand freedoms for yourself that you aren't prepared to cede to others of a different view. I don't recognise my God or the Christ I believe in, in any of your pronouncements. I pretty sure it falls into the Judge not category.... 

Applesisapples

Can someone tell me did Christ say tolerate your neighbour/enemy or love him?

T Fearon

For the nth time,Jesus did not condone sin and warns many times in the Gospel of the consequences of failing to repent from it.His compassion and mercy is not unconditional,it has to be sought after and earned.This is not a fundamentalist position but the core belief of all mainstream churches.

I do not approve of the gay lifestyle, that does not mean I hate gays or would in any way harm them, and I am fully entitled to hold that view as are others to hold opposite views without being labelled emotionless,homophobic or any other extremist label.

T Fearon

Two other propositions I reject.

1.Gays are some persecuted minority.Look at the arrogance on display at any Gay Pride Parade and see the myth this is.

2.Gays are "born that way". If this is true so are paedophiles,murderers,rapists etc therefore by logical extension no one should be held responsible for anything.