[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2015, 10:08:55 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 25, 2015, 09:28:13 PM
The ad has been banned on the grounds that it may have caused offence? That being the case,ads for alcohol potentially offend teetotallers

Alcohol offers temporary innebriation, which has been observed to be true.

Religion offers eternal salvation, which hasn't.

Quote from: T Fearon on November 25, 2015, 11:16:05 PM
How do you know it doesn't? Also does the ad even mention salvation or is it just a gentle reminder of arguably the best known of all Christian prayers,in which case it, by any reasonable criteria,is totally harmless?

He didn't argue that it didn't offer salvation - just that it has never been proven to offer salvation. Presumably you agree with that or are you going to provide some evidence of salvation?

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 26, 2015, 05:38:56 PM
Just arrived home there and my letterbox contained a calendar for 2016 containing some of the six counties most iconic sights with a different bible passage printed on each of the twelve months.There was also some tracts,all from a Gospel Hall in Newry.Is this legal?
Why wouldn't it be?

T Fearon

Well if it's not legal to broadcast the Lord's Prayer on a cinema screen how is it legal to stuff religious tracts into someone's letterbox without their prior consent?

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 27, 2015, 11:50:06 PM
By coincidence I went to see the Lady in the Van in Newry Omniplex tonight.Based on a true story of an eccentric lady who lived for 15 years in various vans in Camden in playwright Alan Bennett's driveway,the film featured a lot of religious imagery (the lady was formerly a nun) including confessional box scenes,Holy Communion and Mass, not to mention the lady's actual ascension to heaven from the graveyard!

Now what's the difference in these things appearing on a cinema screen as part of an actual film,than a short ad featuring the Lord's Prayer before the film starts,on the same screen?

You don't understand fiction, poetic licence, entertainment, logic or to quite a staggering degree the english language.

You seem to under some misapprehension that it is either illegal for there to be religious advertising in cinemas or that somewhere out there ther is someone arguing for it to be for there to be religious advertising in cinemas

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on December 01, 2015, 08:56:37 PM
Well if it's not legal to broadcast the Lord's Prayer on a cinema screen how is it legal to stuff religious tracts into someone's letterbox without their prior consent?

Who said it was "not legal to broadcast the Lord's Prayer on a cinema screen"? Seriously where are you getting this stuff from??

T Fearon

Ok maybe legal was the wrong choice of word but if churches can post communications in people's letterboxes without their consent how do cinemas get away with banning it?

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2015, 09:52:10 PM
Ok maybe legal was the wrong choice of word but if churches can post communications in people's letterboxes without their consent how do cinemas get away with banning it?

Property rights. Their screen, they get to decide what gets shown on it.

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2015, 10:05:28 PM
It's my letterbox attached to my property.No difference

You are correct, there is no difference. It is your mailbox. If you want to block what comes through your mailbox then you can nail it shut.

T Fearon

Not practical to do that.It just shows you how ridiculous and petty cinemas are, banning material and losing money when the same material can be placed in people's letterboxes for free,and I have heard no one complain

dec

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2015, 10:19:53 PM
Not practical to do that.

Your decision, no one is going to make you do it. That is what is great about doing what you want with your own property.

T Fearon

It is not practical for me to seal my post box and deny receipt of mail.But if religious tracts can be placed in my letterbox without my consent,then they should be able to be shown on a cinema screen without the consent of the audience.No one is being forced to accept what the message says,like any form of advertising

deiseach