[Merged] Religion topic Bishop Eamon reaffirms Catholic teaching & Cinemas refusing to show ad featu

Started by T Fearon, November 07, 2015, 07:46:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on November 24, 2015, 05:54:19 PM
The right of every Christian not to be treated like a sub human,because our faith is deemed offensive(??).Diarmuid Martin is wrong if he believes God's love and compassion is unconditional,though I don't see that he is advocating gay marriage,but the emphasis on God's love is dangerous without the qualification that this is strictly conditional upon turning away from sin.

Christians are being treated like subhumans?

That is terrible, if true. What's happening?

T Fearon

We are ridiculed (just read this thread), our very faith is taboo (symbols,prayers not allowed in any public place) and opposed at every end.

J70

Quote from: T Fearon on November 24, 2015, 07:46:56 PM
We are ridiculed (just read this thread), our very faith is taboo (symbols,prayers not allowed in any public place) and opposed at every end.

Don't be ridiculous. You still maintain a dominant position as the primary religion in both Ireland and Britain. There are churches, grottos and crosses on every corner of the land. You are free to go to mass every day and multiple times a day if you wish. No one is arresting you and imprisoning you for your faith. The national broadcaster still does the Angelus and mass and the rest.

What about my "plight" as an atheist Tony? I don't see any monuments or national broadcaster honouring my position that there is no god? No recognition whatsoever that mine is a valid viewpoint.

I realize a lot of you are upset at your diminishing position of dominance as society becomes more secular and alternate views and faiths attain equality, but I am honestly shocked, assuming you are genuine, that a catholic from Armagh could equate what you are seeing with being treated as a subhuman!

And where has the christian faith been ridiculed on this thread? Does calling bullshit on your false victimhood equate to ridicule of your faith?

T Fearon

Atheism and theophobia is now predominant in all parts of the British and Irish isles with the notable exception perhaps of the North East of Ireland.The Christian Faith is being marginalised and those who adhere to it are treated as weirdos.The analogy would be in a work environment,constructive dismissal

omaghjoe

Basically Id concur with Clov's deductive reasoning about how its discriminatory, but disagree with his conclusion about it being justified.
I believe it is unjustified discrimination. If they want to discriminate against religious and political ads fair enough, but my understanding of where the line is drawn would be the promoting of specific political parties or religions. This ad wasn't promoting the religion per se it was promoting a particular aspect of religion.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on November 24, 2015, 12:23:45 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 24, 2015, 12:22:46 AM
Lets keep it on point lads...

J70... I think you are well aware your analogy is false. Prehaps we could discuss the point and not have us wading through the fallacies of an irrelevant analogy.

No, I'm not seeing the falsity Joe.

You will have to explain it.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/

smelmoth

Quote from: smelmoth on November 23, 2015, 11:00:20 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 23, 2015, 10:43:17 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 20, 2015, 05:06:10 PM
Tony - if you faith compelled you to do something that you knew was illegal - what would you do?
Quote from: T Fearon on November 20, 2015, 06:26:41 PM
Yes.My beliefs supercede often misguided man made laws.

Tony is backing the jihadists and their Paris and Beirut exploits presumably.

Personally I think people with crazy beliefs need to challenged
Quote from: T Fearon on November 23, 2015, 10:52:22 PM
I most certainly do not back jihadists,but as was the case with Ashers,I would prioritise my Christian beliefs (which are mainstream and not fundamentalist) over man made laws when there is a conflict between the two

So is ok or you to override the law with your faith but not for others??

Is it only ok if people override the law to reflect your judgements but not their own??

A recipe for total f**king anarchy
Quote from: T Fearon on November 24, 2015, 06:56:31 AM
Smelmoth wise up.I cannot think of too many circumstances where the law of the land contradicts religious belief,bar something like the circumstances of Ashers case.That is not anarchy.
You argue that you (personally) can override the law to maintain the rules of their chosen faith but others cannot. You cannot see the recipe for anarchy that that presents?

smelmoth

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 11:41:54 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 23, 2015, 10:56:42 PM

If there is any discrimination then its against faith/spiritualism and not christianity.

Isnt Christianity faith/spiritualism?

Christianity is spiritualist but does not represent the totallity of spiritualism. The policy of the cinema company was to ban political and religious ads - not to ban christian adds per se

smelmoth

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 11:20:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2015, 11:18:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 10:42:22 PM
Tony, loose the drama and keep it on point.

Its discriminatory and borderline offensive but its not the same as saying that they dont want Christians around.

How is it disciminatory?

Because the add has been banned.

Are all prohibitions discriminatory (in the legal sense)??

smelmoth

Quote from: T Fearon on November 24, 2015, 05:54:19 PM
The right of every Christian not to be treated like a sub human,because our faith is deemed offensive(??)

I shall direct my ire towards those treating christians as sub human. Now Tony tell me who these people are and how they are treating humans as sub humans?

omaghjoe

Quote from: smelmoth on November 24, 2015, 09:56:53 PM

If there is any discrimination then its against faith/spiritualism and not christianity.

Christianity is spiritualist but does not represent the totallity of spiritualism. The policy of the cinema company was to ban political and religious ads - not to ban christian adds per se

So if its part of spirituality and its being discriminated against then would logical deduction not mean that its being discriminated against?

omaghjoe

Quote from: smelmoth on November 24, 2015, 09:58:18 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 11:20:32 PM
Quote from: J70 on November 23, 2015, 11:18:20 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on November 23, 2015, 10:42:22 PM
Tony, loose the drama and keep it on point.

Its discriminatory and borderline offensive but its not the same as saying that they dont want Christians around.

How is it disciminatory?

Because the add has been banned.

Are all prohibitions discriminatory (in the legal sense)??

I don't know about legally... ye better get Joe Brolly on this one

smelmoth

We are ridiculed (just read this thread),

You have no right to "not be ridiculed". Nor do I. Nor does anybodey else. Equality.
our very faith is taboo

Given all the many, many threads you have started, the existence of daily religious services, the broadcasting of masses and the angelus and the public profile given to religious leaders the argument that your faith is taboo has all the same factual basis as me caliming that my blue car is green. Plain and simple bollocks.

(symbols,prayers not allowed in any public place)
Indeed there are no religious symbols in public places in our society. Delusional
and opposed at every end.
Yes Tony, nobody should challenge your views or be allowed to.

Your arguments are pure fantasy of the worst kind with no grounding in fact or logic

smelmoth

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 24, 2015, 10:04:56 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on November 24, 2015, 09:56:53 PM

So if its part of spirituality and its being discriminated against then would logical deduction not mean that its being discriminated against?
You have made that point well. For clarity maybe we should list all the individual spiritualist humans that are possibly being discriminated against?

Maguire01

Why should your beliefs, or anyone's, be above ridicule? You want privilege, not equality.