Irony of Scottish Nationalism and Irish Nationalism currently.

Started by T Fearon, November 05, 2015, 02:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

How the Brits must wish that they could neuter Scottish Nationalism (currently at a peak) in similar fashion as to how Irish nationalism has been largely self neutered.

One political party (barely 40 years old) totally on message, incessantly promoting Scottish nationalism and successfully appealing to the nation's patriotic backbone and winning support across the entire Scottish nation.

Contrast this with the six counties, where we have two so called nationalist parties (one of which takes oaths of allegiance to Her Majesty) tearing each other apart,and neither with any vision as to what a United Ireland might look like never mind a coherent strategy to achieve it.Add in the 26 County govt, which files affairs in the six county in their file marked "Foreign!".

How the Brits must wish it was the other way round,in terms of Scottish and Irish nationalism currently

Gabriel_Hurl

dec

There are more than two nationalist parties in NI.
The DUP and UUP are both nationalist parties.
It's just that they are British nationalists.

No amount of being on message or incessantly promoting Irish nationalism or appealing to the nation's patriotic backbone would persuade Ulster Protestants that they are in fact Irish rather than British.

T Fearon

But,according to last night's poll,it is not even appealing to Irish nationalists,North or South!

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on November 05, 2015, 02:32:52 PM
How the Brits must wish that they could neuter Scottish Nationalism (currently at a peak) in similar fashion as to how Irish nationalism has been largely self neutered.

One political party (barely 40 years old) totally on message, incessantly promoting Scottish nationalism and successfully appealing to the nation's patriotic backbone and winning support across the entire Scottish nation.

Contrast this with the six counties, where we have two so called nationalist parties (one of which takes oaths of allegiance to Her Majesty) tearing each other apart,and neither with any vision as to what a United Ireland might look like never mind a coherent strategy to achieve it.Add in the 26 County govt, which files affairs in the six county in their file marked "Foreign!".

How the Brits must wish it was the other way round,in terms of Scottish and Irish nationalism currently

Um, the party proposing Scottish nationalism also takes oaths of allegiance to her majesty.

And you are the one starting a thread every five minutes bashing the idea of Irish unity.
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

I must have missed the part where the SNP won the Great Patriotic Referendum.

T Fearon

deiseach

"Fuckin failures in a country of failures. Its nae good blamin it oan the English fir colonising us. Ah don't hate the English. They're just wankers. We are colonised by wankers. We can't even pick a decent, vibrant healthy society to be colonised by. No...we are ruled by effete arseholes. What does that make us? The lowest of the low, the scum of the earth. The most wretched servile, miserable, pathetic trash that was ever shat intae creation. Ah don't hate the English. They just git oan wis the shite thev got. Ah hate the Scots" - Irvine Welsh

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2015, 02:56:19 PM

Um, the party proposing Scottish nationalism also takes oaths of allegiance to her majesty.

And were proposing to keep her if they won the Referendum.
Presumably they would have given her the more correct title of Elizabeth 1 then.
Since Tony F became a DUPite he's fairly tearing into the Irish Nationalists and Nationalism ;) :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

On the contrary I am being critical of so called nationalist parties in Ireland whose lack of vision,strategy and dare I say it,being content with the status quo,has led to the present scenario where Irish Nationalism is in political free fall,where unbelievably a majority of Catholics in the North,and a majority in the South no longer even want a United Ireland

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on November 05, 2015, 06:03:13 PM
nationalist parties in Ireland whose lack of vision,strategy and dare I say it,being content with the status quo
I don't think this says what you think it says...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

muppet

Quote from: heganboy on November 05, 2015, 06:14:23 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 05, 2015, 06:03:13 PM
nationalist parties in Ireland whose lack of vision,strategy and dare I say it,being content with the status quo
I don't think this says what you think it says...

;D ;D ;D

MWWSI 2017

J70

Are you not currently talking about defecting to the DUP on another thread Tony?  ;D

smelmoth

Don't forget that if the Shinners and SNP were each offered an independence referendum tomorrow SNP would not be the ones who would take it