Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 507165 times)

armaghniac

• View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #6420 on: February 08, 2019, 06:19:13 PM »

if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Dubh driocht

• View Profile
« Reply #6421 on: February 08, 2019, 11:28:24 PM »
I am now strongly of the view that we're on the one road here, and while it may be the long road we're together now - so who cares. There have been regular and informed comments from many posters, particularly Seafoid, which have helped me understand what's going on. Now I think it has boiled down to this: if the worst happens and the UK crash out with no deal it's now inevitable there will be a united Ireland within 10 years so happy days. If the best happens and the UK gets a deal which we are all happy with then life goes on as is and we still progress towards a united Ireland at a slower pace so happy days.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #6422 on: February 09, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »

5 o clock shadow and everything. Amazing.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6423 on: February 09, 2019, 01:50:10 AM »

No deal would be suicidal for the U.K.

If No deal went ahead the economic justification for the existence
 of Northern Ireland would disappear

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/07/no-deal-brexit-medieval-siege-eu-britain-industries

Plus the south is more socially progressive regarding reproductive rights !! After decades being behind .# Jaysus

If a time traveler from Crossmaglen in the 50’s rolled up they would not believe the changes that have happened. It all started when Down won the All Ireland in 1960. ;)

The Irish govt was dealt a bad hand with the Brexit referendum but they played as a team
and they got a result. It is fantastic to see all the Irish parties both north and south united in support of everyone in the north.

https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0
Lookit

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6424 on: February 09, 2019, 02:36:48 AM »
I am now strongly of the view that we're on the one road here, and while it may be the long road we're together now - so who cares. There have been regular and informed comments from many posters, particularly Seafoid, which have helped me understand what's going on. Now I think it has boiled down to this: if the worst happens and the UK crash out with no deal it's now inevitable there will be a united Ireland within 10 years so happy days. If the best happens and the UK gets a deal which we are all happy with then life goes on as is and we still progress towards a united Ireland at a slower pace so happy days.

Yep, no deal and a rather bumpy landing, or we can glide in towards the runway without wakening the passengers.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: February 09, 2019, 04:08:33 AM »

Anyone else get a chuckle at this??

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: February 09, 2019, 08:34:05 AM »
Anything more specific?

I assume your question is related to trade?

It is widely accepted that there is a correlation between core infrastructure (transport/utilities) and productivity. Taken that given, then...

If there were a UI, we would likely see vast improvements in infrastructure in the border areas leading to improved growth in these areas. The improvement of the roads already within the ROI due to EU led investment should be consider as examples. For instance, we would most likely definitely see:
- New main road linking Monaghan to Maguiresbridge.
- Improved main road linking Enniskillen to Donegal town (via Ballyshannon).
- The A5 gets done rather than dithered over.

Then, dealing with the east coast:
- The York road junction gets done rather than dithered over.
- The Dublin-Belfast enterprise service gets new rolling stock that pulls the journey time down to around an hour (its only 100 miles). Even use of the older intercity 125s on a track fit for purpose would see a big drop in journey time - current top speed is limited to 90 mph. The enterprise service as it stands at the moment is an embarrassment. Benign topology and yet the best we can do is an average speed of ~55 mph between the 2 largest cities just 100 miles apart?

We would possibly see:
- extension of the dual carriageway from Ballygawley to Enniskillen. I wouldn't imagine this would dual carriageway over to Ballyshannon.
- improvements of the links to Warrenpoint dock so freight can be moved more quickly onto the motorway/rail network.

I'd also like to think there would be EU monies put toward improving broadband infrastructure in rural areas, which would also lead to improved economic output from our smaller businesses.
Rural broadband in the south is pathetic
There has been very little investment since the state privatised telecom eireann as Eircom and that has been resold, twice is it now?

Rail is not used for Freight very much in the south as the motorway network is faster

Don't assume the boys down south are any better at infrastructure delivery

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: February 09, 2019, 01:07:34 PM »
Anything more specific?

I assume your question is related to trade?

It is widely accepted that there is a correlation between core infrastructure (transport/utilities) and productivity. Taken that given, then...

If there were a UI, we would likely see vast improvements in infrastructure in the border areas leading to improved growth in these areas. The improvement of the roads already within the ROI due to EU led investment should be consider as examples. For instance, we would most likely definitely see:
- New main road linking Monaghan to Maguiresbridge.
- Improved main road linking Enniskillen to Donegal town (via Ballyshannon).
- The A5 gets done rather than dithered over.

Then, dealing with the east coast:
- The York road junction gets done rather than dithered over.
- The Dublin-Belfast enterprise service gets new rolling stock that pulls the journey time down to around an hour (its only 100 miles). Even use of the older intercity 125s on a track fit for purpose would see a big drop in journey time - current top speed is limited to 90 mph. The enterprise service as it stands at the moment is an embarrassment. Benign topology and yet the best we can do is an average speed of ~55 mph between the 2 largest cities just 100 miles apart?

We would possibly see:
- extension of the dual carriageway from Ballygawley to Enniskillen. I wouldn't imagine this would dual carriageway over to Ballyshannon.
- improvements of the links to Warrenpoint dock so freight can be moved more quickly onto the motorway/rail network.

I'd also like to think there would be EU monies put toward improving broadband infrastructure in rural areas, which would also lead to improved economic output from our smaller businesses.
Rural broadband in the south is pathetic
There has been very little investment since the state privatised telecom eireann as Eircom and that has been resold, twice is it now?

This is only partly true, while broadband remains crap in many places a significant number of people in more populated rural areas in the 26 counties have now got FTTH, there will be 300,000 in total, there is a still feck all FTTH in the North.

And while the children's hospital shows the limitations of politically driven infrastructure delivery in the 26 counties, they had more or less got the hang of building roads.

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: February 09, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »

Dubh driocht

• View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: February 09, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: February 10, 2019, 12:22:11 PM »

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: February 10, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »
Helen McEntee TD
Helen McEntee TD
@HMcEntee
·
3m
Fantastic win for Meath over Armagh today. Friendly crowd at Páirc Tailteann in Navan - a great occasion of shared Irishness. A few Armagh supporters had a non-GAA request for me: ‘Don’t abandon us in Brexit’.
Ireland will not accept the return of a border.
Lookit

Jim_Murphy_74

• View Profile
« Reply #6432 on: February 11, 2019, 09:10:27 AM »
Helen McEntee TD
Helen McEntee TD
@HMcEntee
·
3m
Fantastic win for Meath over Armagh today. Friendly crowd at Páirc Tailteann in Navan - a great occasion of shared Irishness. A few Armagh supporters had a non-GAA request for me: ‘Don’t abandon us in Brexit’.

Listening to Tomas O'Sé and Ciaran Whelan after game on Saturday the championship should really only have two teams and at the very least the hard Border should be drawn across the nine counties instead of six. 

/Jim

Shamrock Shore

• We are proud to be Larries
    • View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: February 11, 2019, 09:36:27 AM »
Helen McEntee TD
Helen McEntee TD
@HMcEntee
·
3m

Listening to Tomas O'Sé and Ciaran Whelan after game on Saturday the championship should really only have two teams and at the very least the hard Border should be drawn across the nine counties instead of six. 

/Jim

I'd stretch some sort of corridor as well to take in Carlow behind the hard wall.

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile