Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 501130 times)

RedHand88

• View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #5805 on: December 29, 2018, 09:54:33 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46704522

Interesting that the two biggest winners are French and Dutch shipping companies.

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #5806 on: December 31, 2018, 12:07:47 AM »
£14m handed out to a shipping company set up 2 years ago to be ready for a no deal brexit. Owner of JCB has a role in said company who is Pro brexit. Big smelly rat is this one

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46714984

seafoid

• View Profile
Lookit

Franko

• View Profile
« Reply #5808 on: January 07, 2019, 06:58:03 AM »
140+ factual, fully-sourced examples of the impact Brexit is already having on the UK. Jobs going, investment drying up, companies moving assets to the EU, or redomiciling. And all happening as Government burns through £billions chasing a no deal Brexit.

https://twitter.com/uk_domain_names/status/1081836120617439233?s=21

And it hasnít happened yet.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5809 on: January 08, 2019, 10:23:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1082231005396783104

This winds me up to no end I'd have called in if I'd have been listening at the time I feel bad for the unfortunate soul who wasn't sure what he was talking about.

Yes the UK can still accept in whatever goods they want but the EU have a different set of rules for exporting to countries outside of the EU which entail inspections and export certificates per shipment before you even get to the customs issue . . . it is not as simple as these c***ts are making it out to be!!

Hardy

• View Profile
« Reply #5810 on: January 08, 2019, 12:16:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/1082231005396783104

This winds me up to no end I'd have called in if I'd have been listening at the time I feel bad for the unfortunate soul who wasn't sure what he was talking about.

Yes the UK can still accept in whatever goods they want but the EU have a different set of rules for exporting to countries outside of the EU which entail inspections and export certificates per shipment before you even get to the customs issue . . . it is not as simple as these c***ts are making it out to be!!

Correct and these c***ts, as you correctly describe them, either don't know or are lying about the fact that the UK CANNOT accept whatever goods they want on whatever terms they want if they hope to trade under WTO terms.

The WTO has a set of minimum tariffs for all goods that automatically apply to all members who have not agreed individual terms with the WTO for each individual category of goods. Try flouting that and taking in EU goods tariff free on a freelance basis and find out what happens to tariffs on all your exports to all WTO member states.

And the mantra that all will be fine trading on WTO terms fails to take account of the fact that "WTO terms" take years to negotiate for each individual category of goods. This is mainly because these terms have to be unanimously agreed by all WTO member states. And of course most of these states will individually see this as a horse-trading opportunity. In the meantime, the minimum tariffs apply.

It's just another reason why no deal will be a catastrophe.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #5811 on: January 08, 2019, 12:54:14 PM »
I believe DUPUDA not happy that there will be curbs on low paid immigrants to the 6 Cos after the Britnats get their Brexit.
1 Cupeen so far

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #5812 on: January 11, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »
Interesting bit of theatre yesterday with most of the DUP MP's suddenly becoming available to meet Simon Coveney after he'd suggested that they'd refused his offer on Good Morning Ulster. Christopher (I'm younger than I look) Stalford struggled to explain what happened but mumbled something about the Irish Government not following up on it's initial request and then playing the I'm not sure card when pressed further...

On the TV coverage it was interesting that they showed poor Gregory Campbell being made to swap seats with Nige so that Nige could get closer to Coveney for the cameras. Our Nige pulling rank on wee Gregory.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5813 on: January 11, 2019, 11:48:30 AM »
Gregory Campbell, yes Gregory Campbell, told Coveney to have a bit of humility  ;D

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
« Reply #5814 on: January 11, 2019, 12:12:48 PM »
Interesting bit of theatre yesterday with most of the DUP MP's suddenly becoming available to meet Simon Coveney after he'd suggested that they'd refused his offer on Good Morning Ulster. Christopher (I'm younger than I look) Stalford struggled to explain what happened but mumbled something about the Irish Government not following up on it's initial request and then playing the I'm not sure card when pressed further...

On the TV coverage it was interesting that they showed poor Gregory Campbell being made to swap seats with Nige so that Nige could get closer to Coveney for the cameras. Our Nige pulling rank on wee Gregory.

Coveney has a degree  in Agriculture and a firm grasp on Economics and Trade Mechanisms. So heís maybe the best Equipped on how to educate those Animals (DUP) on how their reluctance to embrace NIís great opportunity that this current deal is and the only trough they should be drinking from.

Rois

• View Profile
« Reply #5815 on: January 11, 2019, 02:18:32 PM »

I heard that - Stalford said that the Irish government didn't follow up on the invite they issued...well there was obviously no response from the DUP!  Everyone else managed it. 
Always someone else's fault, when even if it was an oversight, it was a DUP oversight!

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #5816 on: January 11, 2019, 02:19:43 PM »
The DUP really fecked up with this from the start. They could now be in a position where they could be proclaiming to have maintained the union with GB and also help deliver what would be a fantastic economic opportunity for NI (Which in itself would have reinforced people's acceptance of the status quo). They could have played down the improved links with the South as improved links with the EU market to keep their own supports on side and be portraying this as a success and trying to take the credit for it. Instead they are slowing realising they have backed the wrong horse and can't be seen to lose face to back down despite some of their own supporters turning on them.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

weareros

• View Profile
« Reply #5817 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
The DUPs biggest mistake - and they've made quite a few around Brexit - may be pissing off a good deal of the Tories, the teat that's been feeding them for a century. It seems extraordinary that a Tory Secretary of State would be threatening them with a border poll. Old grey beard may even be a better friend to them right now

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #5818 on: January 11, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »
The DUP really fecked up with this from the start. They could now be in a position where they could be proclaiming to have maintained the union with GB and also help deliver what would be a fantastic economic opportunity for NI (Which in itself would have reinforced people's acceptance of the status quo). They could have played down the improved links with the South as improved links with the EU market to keep their own supports on side and be portraying this as a success and trying to take the credit for it. Instead they are slowing realising they have backed the wrong horse and can't be seen to lose face to back down despite some of their own supporters turning on them.

Not sure about the fact they realise they've backed the wrong horse as their public utterings haven't changed much since the get go.
If they have realised they have backed the wrong horse then they need a face saving way out and with the EU still not for changing any legal text on the backstop it's hard to see them ceding ground on Tuesday.

No Tony Blair doublespeak available to save the day for them.

Walter Cronc

• UTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5819 on: January 11, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
Did that RTE political commentator (Tony Connolly?) not reveal from a source that they discussed Brexit for 10mins, agreeing to back it to the hilt as it would never win?

Their arrogance knows no bounds. Maybe one day loyalists will realise they offer them nothing!!