Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 397267 times)

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #5655 on: December 12, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
Jesus imagine boris got leadership :o
There was a YouGov poll from a few days ago showing approval ratings of potential successors to Ms. May. Boris Johnson scored - 35%! (That is minus thirth five percent) Only Michael Gove was worse.

Outside of his cheerleaders that influence London media circles, Johnson is actually not very popular.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 09:16:30 AM by Fionntamhnach »
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #5656 on: December 12, 2018, 09:15:21 AM »
I don't think they have the votes to oust her . . . if they do the chaos will be worse than it is now!!!

They might not have the votes but if they get 120-130 then her position becomes nearly untenable.  The reality is if there is a leadership contest then we are scarily looking at a No Deal and a hard border.  Will be the end of January before there's a new PM in and that gives you 8 weeks to get the deal done before the 29th March.  Really difficult to see that happening

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5657 on: December 12, 2018, 09:16:27 AM »
So just to be clear this is a confidence vote in the leadership of the Conservative party. It is not a Leadership election.... yet.

She very may win it. Leaving her immune from another challenge until next year. I think she'll agree to go after Brexit, it won't be enough, she can't carry the DUP, Gov falls GE. Then who knows.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5658 on: December 12, 2018, 09:31:02 AM »
So just to be clear this is a confidence vote in the leadership of the Conservative party. It is not a Leadership election.... yet.
Correct. If she loses she is ousted with a caretaker for Tory leader until a new one is elected among those eligible.

The problem is who would be mad enough to take it on? It's an absolute poison chalice right now, David Davis & Dominic Rabb have shown themselves up in negotiations and pretty much all the remaining prominent Brexshitters don't want to touch it with an 80ft pole because none of them, predictably, are willing to own the shit they have and likely will in future cause.

Also technically if May lost her party leadership, technically that does not mean she must also resign as PM and could try to stay on. Thatcher tried to pull that stunt until her close confidants told her that the game was up.
Putting internet gobsh*tes in their place since 1999.

Dunsilly King

• View Profile
« Reply #5659 on: December 12, 2018, 09:36:47 AM »
Listened to Radio Ulster for a few minutes this morning and there was a business man (Stephen Chestnutt ?) who rang in who supported "No Deal".  He was asked, as a businessman, why he supported a No Deal.

His answer was:
"Because the DUP are telling me to.  As our only elected representatives I trust them to tell me the truth.  They will have our best interests at heart".

I honestly couldn't believe it.  I think in excel that would be known as a "circular reference".

that is quite unbelievable, couldn't be that stupid, where has he been living rhi etc etc etc

Hereiam

• View Profile
« Reply #5660 on: December 12, 2018, 09:39:31 AM »
He has 3 boilers installed  ;D ;D ;D

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #5661 on: December 12, 2018, 10:57:41 AM »
Tories about to knife Tessie? 48 letters in apparently.

Err..when I said 'knife' I kinda meant using one of them plastic knives that they give you at a takeaway, the sort that shatter whenever you hit a tougher bit of chicken or cod. Looks as if the Tory 'hard right' are going to get a good routing in this. PPs has Tessie at 2/7 to survive.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #5662 on: December 12, 2018, 11:03:41 AM »

Err..when I said 'knife' I kinda meant using one of them plastic knives that they give you at a takeaway, the sort that shatter whenever you hit a tougher bit of chicken or cod. Looks as if the Tory 'hard right' are going to get a good routing in this. PPs has Tessie at 2/7 to survive.

Have been keeping an eye on the odds, started at 1/4,  lengthened to 1/2, then 2/7, 1/8 and back to 1/3 now.

She has 100+ MPs out in support so I'd have thought she's as good as home

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #5663 on: December 12, 2018, 11:07:43 AM »

About to say that ;D At least lol.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #5664 on: December 12, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
Must be in his brain!
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

sensethetone

• View Profile
« Reply #5665 on: December 12, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
I don't think they have the votes to oust her . . . if they do the chaos will be worse than it is now!!!

They might not have the votes but if they get 120-130 then her position becomes nearly untenable.  The reality is if there is a leadership contest then we are scarily looking at a No Deal and a hard border.  Will be the end of January before there's a new PM in and that gives you 8 weeks to get the deal done before the 29th March.  Really difficult to see that happening

Does parliament have to vote for a no deal Brexit?

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #5666 on: December 12, 2018, 12:33:30 PM »

Have been keeping an eye on the odds, started at 1/4,  lengthened to 1/2, then 2/7, 1/8 and back to 1/3 now.

It is a secret ballot.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #5667 on: December 12, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

You would think so, but it is a secret ballot so nobody will know how each MP has voted. They can say one thing in public yet do another and that is certainly not beyond Tory party members.

I don't understand how a party so divided can still be together after all this. Surely the prospect of a split in the party must be a possibility now or are the Brexiteer fantasists just happy to sit on the ditches and snipe whilst not actually offering anything.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5668 on: December 12, 2018, 12:57:49 PM »

Does parliament have to vote for a no deal Brexit?

Not necessarily. As in if we reach 29th March 2019 with no withdrawal deal then essentially that will be a disorderly no deal exit. However Parliament could vote to avoid this either by agreeing to May's deal, another version of it or by asking the EU to extend Article 50 which is what I would bet on.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5669 on: December 12, 2018, 01:30:51 PM »
Did you ever see a more pitiful performance from the Leader of the opposition. The PM, is wounded, lying prone in front of you and all you he had to do was kill her off. Just offer a genuine alternative. But no, he was as weak as piss. Utterly useless. Never mind TM it's time he fucked off as well.