Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 602662 times)

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #8280 on: September 11, 2019, 11:20:07 AM »
DUPUDA and the Brexiteers doing a great job for Irish reunification and Scottish Independence. ;D
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8281 on: September 11, 2019, 11:36:03 AM »
Itís only 12 miles at its shortest point.. I think there is a sea bridge somewhere over 30miles long!
Brexit will reintroduce duty free on ferries which should be good for wine prices

Iíve been stocking up with this company

Portugal vineyards... the Porta 6 red is delicious. £50 for 12 bottles post and packaging in that price
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

weareros

• View Profile
« Reply #8282 on: September 11, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Interesting from the Tories pollster of choice Lord Ashcroft.

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/my-northern-ireland-survey-finds-the-union-on-a-knife-edge/

Going by the letter of The GFA, that is the type of poll that should trigger a Border Poll, although if it failed there would not be another for 7 years (not a long wait really). The irony is a backstop that gives north best of both worlds may dampen enthusiasm for UI. You got to think Boris will be delighted with that poll as he has a big stick to beat Arlene and Dodds into submission on top of the imaginary bridge he is going to build for them. But it is not right to preserve a Union that is being held in place by the desires of elderly bigots. Itís clear younger people desire Unity and the future should be created for that demographic.

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #8283 on: September 11, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/09/my-northern-ireland-survey-finds-the-union-on-a-knife-edge/

Going by the letter of The GFA, that is the type of poll that should trigger a Border Poll, although if it failed there would not be another for 7 years (not a long wait really). The irony is a backstop that gives north best of both worlds may dampen enthusiasm for UI.

Indeed - and its further ironic that its nationalists that have less of a problem implementing the backstop and foregoing the move to a UI, and its unionists that are insisting on abolishing the backstop while placing the act of union in serious danger.

I suppose, the split between nationalists/unionists on the poll about the degree of problems a no-deal exit does reflect that unionist mindset. The nationalists appear to see the economic danger  of no-deal & the potential for a border poll sooner - and are prepared to sacrifice the border poll for the economic good by supporting the backstop.
i usse an speelchekor

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: September 11, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »

NI is hopelessly polarised

The "how positive do you feel.." chart shows there is no agreement on anyone 
Lookit

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: September 11, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »

Interesting results. Brexit has undoubtedly accelerated the support for a UI but the demographics have long been heading that way anyway if you look at the split across the age categories. The poll has only rubber stamped previous polls and indeed the last census result. I think a settling period is required post Brexit but certainly a border poll looks fairly inevitable in the next 20 years and possibly a lot sooner depending on how political events run their course. A lot of planning needs to be done in advance of that and it needs to begin with the Irish government. 

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8286 on: September 11, 2019, 03:32:06 PM »
Time for a Citizens Assembly to look into all aspects of an All Ireland State.

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: September 11, 2019, 04:23:44 PM »
Dunno how accurate this poll is... There is a couple of prominent Unionists on here who appear to of Nationalist background

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: September 11, 2019, 05:27:30 PM »

Going by the letter of The GFA, that is the type of poll that should trigger a Border Poll, although if it failed there would not be another for 7 years (not a long wait really). The irony is a backstop that gives north best of both worlds may dampen enthusiasm for UI. You got to think Boris will be delighted with that poll as he has a big stick to beat Arlene and Dodds into submission on top of the imaginary bridge he is going to build for them. But it is not right to preserve a Union that is being held in place by the desires of elderly bigots. Itís clear younger people desire Unity and the future should be created for that demographic.

If properly implemented the backstop might give the best of both worlds, but both the unionists and the British government will continue trying to undermine it, so ensuring that it never becomes truly successful. However, The backstop will give time for discussion though, which is needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #8289 on: September 11, 2019, 09:14:08 PM »
Between the Scots Court and publishing the No Deal Scenario another bad day in Bozostan.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #8290 on: September 11, 2019, 10:14:15 PM »
A summary of Operation Yellowhammer (it was supposed to be a report, but at five pages someone has clearly just typed a summary up) has now been published to comply with a vote passed by MPs on Monday night before the parliament was suspended.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

Yeah, it's not painting a pleasant picture.

Paragraph 18 will likely be of interests in these parts - the UK Government are pretty much admitting that they will have to actively impose a "hard border" sooner or later.

Also of note is Paragraph 5, noting that there could be electricity supply problems in NI not on the day of exit, but that the Single Energy Market could suddenly unwind, with increasing costs for consumers.

Paragraph 15 has been redacted - most likely it'll concern national security.

:-\
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: September 11, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »
Also to add, a list of prescription medicines that could be potentially hit by shortages...

https://e-surgery.com/brexit-crisis-medication-shortage-list/?fbclid=IwAR3eeO-HftB0WqE4QvY4ed6k9i9HPeo7P-LqGvuZaQZG3K3Ltb938392YOI
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

Ed Ricketts

• View Profile
« Reply #8292 on: September 11, 2019, 10:21:18 PM »
A summary of Operation Yellowhammer (it was supposed to be a report, but at five pages someone has clearly just typed a summary up) has now been published to comply with a vote passed by MPs on Monday night before the parliament was suspended.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/831199/20190802_Latest_Yellowhammer_Planning_assumptions_CDL.pdf

Yeah, it's not painting a pleasant picture.

Paragraph 18 will likely be of interests in these parts - the UK Government are pretty much admitting that they will have to actively impose a "hard border" sooner or later.

Also of note is Paragraph 5, noting that there could be electricity supply problems in NI not on the day of exit, but that the Single Energy Market could suddenly unwind, with increasing costs for consumers.

Paragraph 15 has been redacted - most likely it'll concern national security.

:-\

Para 15, supposedly:

Tariffs make UK petrol exports to the EU uncompetitive. Industry had plans to mitigate the impact on refinery margins and profitability, but UK government policy to set petrol import tariffs at 0% inadvertently undermines these plans. This leads to big financial losses and the closure of two refineries (which are converted to import terminals) with about 2,000 direct job losses. Resulting strike action at refineries would lead to disruptions to fuel availability for 1-2 weeks in the regions they directly supply. Government analysis of the impact of no-deal on refineries continues.

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: September 12, 2019, 12:02:43 AM »
Also to add, a list of prescription medicines that could be potentially hit by shortages...

https://e-surgery.com/brexit-crisis-medication-shortage-list/?fbclid=IwAR3eeO-HftB0WqE4QvY4ed6k9i9HPeo7P-LqGvuZaQZG3K3Ltb938392YOI

I work in the industry and I've never seen as many shortages as the last few months, and it's only getting worse. There's alot of moving round of supply chains at the minute and it's playing havoc with medicine costs/availability.

Fionntamhnach

• View Profile
« Reply #8294 on: September 12, 2019, 12:40:10 AM »

I work in the industry and I've never seen as many shortages as the last few months, and it's only getting worse. There's alot of moving round of supply chains at the minute and it's playing havoc with medicine costs/availability.

I'm on two long-term prescription medicines on the list linked. One of them I could probably reduce my dose on for a short term without a significant risk of complications, but the other one I couldn't ration without an elevated risk to my health. It does worry me a bit and it does cross my mind wherever I should ask my GP to double or even triple the medicines I get for my next prescription, but ultimately that's being somewhat selfish as if stocks are limited, you're likely depriving some other people of the important medication, which also affects the cost to the Health Service whom end up paying higher prices for medicines through simple supply & demand. I hope the government in the south are quietly stockpiling medicines themselves, as for many in the north it might be a last-resort option to getting the required drugs.