Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 692564 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Lookit

RadioGAAGAA

• View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #8236 on: September 06, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/northern-ireland-s-economy-is-threatened-by-more-than-brexit-1.4009296

Erm - that article dumps the sum of our problems on the transfer test.

Given that the results of the education system in NI is evidently better performing than elsewhere, it is a strange argument to make:

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/gcse-results-your-area-see-18983712

Northern Ireland has scored the highest percentage of entries who achieved a 'pass,' with 82.2% getting a C or 4 depending on the grading system.

The region was also top area for the people getting grades A or 7 and above.

London came in second, with 70.6% passing and 25.7% scoring at least an A or 7.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-49351481

A-Level entries in Northern Ireland declined by more than 2% in 2019, though exam organisations said that was mainly due to a fall in the year 14 population in schools.

However, the overall A*-E pass rate at A-level in Northern Ireland increased slightly by 0.1% to 98.3%.

Pupils in Northern Ireland have consistently outperformed their counterparts in England and Wales in recent years.

There is nothing that boils my piss more than some hippy insisting comprehensive schools are the way to go when the evidence clearly states otherwise.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:42:54 PM by RadioGAAGAA »
i usse an speelchekor

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #8237 on: September 06, 2019, 04:52:30 PM »
Maybe Irish people have more brains than English or Welsh?

Anyway where to now as it seems Bozo's 2nd attempt to force an Election will meet the same fate as the 1st one.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #8238 on: September 06, 2019, 04:57:20 PM »
No Deal for people in NI would mean a huge drop in wages/social welfare. Why the DUP would support this is beyond me.
Paradoxically Brexit has brought the 2 parts of the Irish nation closer than at any time in the last century. In 1969 the Dublin
 government had virtually no insight into NI society.

It is simple really. They expected Brexit to lead to a physical border and to have a greater barrier in all senses of the word between the 6 counties and the rest of the country. The Union is their utmost priority and trumps everything else - food, health, the economy etc. They would rather we all lived in a cave live like they do than give up their beloved Queen and country - which ironically would drop them in a heartbeat if they could find a way out. It's not working out quite the way they planned but they have made their bed and have to lie in it - mind you it's not been as big a disaster for them to date as the rest of us hoped. But long runs the fox.
The Unionist worldview is based around the fact that they are superior to the Irish.
No Deal would hammer Unionist wages and leave them poorer than Taigs in Monaghan

As Clinton said, it's the economy, stupid.
Lookit

93-DY-SAM

• View Profile
« Reply #8239 on: September 06, 2019, 05:27:50 PM »
No Deal for people in NI would mean a huge drop in wages/social welfare. Why the DUP would support this is beyond me.
Paradoxically Brexit has brought the 2 parts of the Irish nation closer than at any time in the last century. In 1969 the Dublin

It is simple really. They expected Brexit to lead to a physical border and to have a greater barrier in all senses of the word between the 6 counties and the rest of the country. The Union is their utmost priority and trumps everything else - food, health, the economy etc. They would rather we all lived in a cave live like they do than give up their beloved Queen and country - which ironically would drop them in a heartbeat if they could find a way out. It's not working out quite the way they planned but they have made their bed and have to lie in it - mind you it's not been as big a disaster for them to date as the rest of us hoped. But long runs the fox.
The Unionist worldview is based around the fact that they are superior to the Irish.
No Deal would hammer Unionist wages and leave them poorer than Taigs in Monaghan

No arguing with any of that but as I said with them the Union trumps everything else. There is no reasoning with that mindset.

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #8240 on: September 06, 2019, 05:32:37 PM »
I agree with yous, but I think DUP behind closed doors know they backed the wrong horse. They didn't expect to win regards Brexit. Now they have to stick to it. Good luck to them.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #8241 on: September 06, 2019, 06:55:31 PM »

No arguing with any of that but as I said with them the Union trumps everything else. There is no reasoning with that mindset.

The pillars of the Unionist worldview are collapsing .
The Brits bought off the Presbyterians after 1798. For almost 200 years being British made sense. For how much longer ?
Lookit

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #8242 on: September 06, 2019, 08:06:22 PM »
As Chou En Lai said, when asked about the impact of the French Revolution..."it's too early to tell". Let's not be too hasty in coming to a decisive conclusion about 1798 either

weareros

• View Profile
« Reply #8243 on: September 06, 2019, 09:45:02 PM »
The DUP got drunk on being the poster boys for Brexit. They found a global stage, the HOC where they were up to then largely irrelevant, to finally unleash their patented brand of Ulster stubbornness for the world to see. Suddenly as saviors of Brexit, they were the darlings of the right wing press and the deranged commentators in the Express and Daily Mail, with comments like Arlene for PM or how can I vote for the DUP in Bolsover and Havering. To them it was the Siege of Britain and the sons of Ulster were defending all from Catholic Europe and the iffy Gay in power down South who was preventing Brexit in his mission to destroy the Union and seize NI. But the more attention one attracts to one self, the more scrutiny - and more GB people now see the bribes, realise they pay more to prop up NI than gain access to EU market, they hold bigoted views, they insist on divergence when they want it, and Farmer Boris in his wellies has even come to realise agrifood alignment makes sense. Their goose, or gammon, is now cooked.

Ronnie

• View Profile
« Reply #8244 on: September 07, 2019, 07:03:39 AM »
Yeah.  I could see them losing 20% of their seats at next GE but then I did predict that previously..

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #8245 on: September 07, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »
When you look at the British Government front bench and see Boris sitting with Rabb (Id never get tired slapping his incompetent face)Gove, Rees Mogg, Patel to name but a few, it almost makes some of the brood of vipers from the Thatcher era Tebbitt, Parkinson, Lilley, Baker, Selwyn Gummer, look human
Careful now

Aaron Boone

• View Profile
« Reply #8246 on: September 08, 2019, 09:58:22 PM »
The NI-only backstop appears to be back in play. Both Faisal Islam and Jamie Bryson have commented this evening.

t_mac

• View Profile
« Reply #8247 on: September 08, 2019, 09:59:35 PM »
Just saying but fcuk I'd love to slap the head of that odious p***k Rabb.

Edit just seen your post Dougal I'm obviously not alone.

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #8248 on: September 09, 2019, 08:32:00 AM »
The NI-only backstop appears to be back in play. Both Faisal Islam and Jamie Bryson have commented this evening.

Highly respected commentator so it must be true!

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8249 on: September 09, 2019, 09:16:49 AM »

Highly respected commentator so it must be true!

"Loyalist Blogger" I think is the correct term!!