Author Topic: Brexit.  (Read 319634 times)

Applesisapples

• View Profile
Re: Brexit.
« Reply #4560 on: October 04, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
What nationalists don't understand about this DUP/Unionist mindset, (which does not apply to alll unionists) is that the Union with the Motherland comes before all else even bread on the table. Just look at the death of Portadown as an economic hub all because they wanted to walk a half a mile of tarmac. I personally can't fathom why. Nationalists in the North and perhaps in general given Irelands history have had to be pragmatic and accept their gains in small increments. DUP/Unionists see every small change as a loss to them. As Mo Mowlam once said Unionists can't read between the line. In other words everything is viewed in the absolutism of the planter under siege.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 04, 2018, 12:07:27 PM »
That is bang on applesisapples and this brexit nonsense is illustrating your point.

Union over money. The ones doing the campaigning won't be out of pocket mind. Just their followers.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: October 04, 2018, 12:55:13 PM »
What nationalists don't understand about this DUP/Unionist mindset, (which does not apply to alll unionists) is that the Union with the Motherland comes before all else even bread on the table. Just look at the death of Portadown as an economic hub all because they wanted to walk a half a mile of tarmac. I personally can't fathom why. Nationalists in the North and perhaps in general given Irelands history have had to be pragmatic and accept their gains in small increments. DUP/Unionists see every small change as a loss to them. As Mo Mowlam once said Unionists can't read between the line. In other words everything is viewed in the absolutism of the planter under siege.

Nigel is running the party in all but name.

What I don't get is why Business men and women of a unionist persuasion aren't up in arms over this as surely they're not buying the "great opportunities await" line peddled by Jim Allister and Co post Brexit..
Maybe don't want the Lundy tag bestowed upon them.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 04, 2018, 01:04:50 PM »
Nigel is running the party in all but name.

What I don't get is why Business men and women of a unionist persuasion aren't up in arms over this as surely they're not buying the "great opportunities await" line peddled by Jim Allister and Co post Brexit..
Maybe don't want the Lundy tag bestowed upon them.

Business people haven't really managed much influence over the Tories either.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 04, 2018, 02:39:32 PM »
Let them eat fleg!

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 04, 2018, 03:14:59 PM »
Good old argument on Nolan last night where the other 2 (Alliance and Labour peer) ganged up on Jim of the DUP, who could only mouth platitudes about leaving on British terms. Fat Steve didn't spare him either.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: October 04, 2018, 03:38:08 PM »
Jim Wells?

If it wasn't for him and Jim Allister our Stevie would struggle for a show.

Jamwie must be persona non grata after the peelers lifted him in the doorman scandal.

keep her low this half

• View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 04, 2018, 11:19:44 PM »
Lots of speculation that May I about to shaft the DUP. Sooner the better I say. She is proposing the whole UK stay in customs union until a free trade deal is agreed and northern Ireland will stay in the single market therefore regulatory border in the Irish sea. She may not get it through Westminster but it will be fun to watch Arlene and Nigel swinging on a hook.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: October 05, 2018, 09:11:49 AM »
Lots of speculation that May I about to shaft the DUP. Sooner the better I say. She is proposing the whole UK stay in customs union until a free trade deal is agreed and northern Ireland will stay in the single market therefore regulatory border in the Irish sea. She may not get it through Westminster but it will be fun to watch Arlene and Nigel swinging on a hook.

It's not entirely what Corbyn said he'd support but not far away which could potentially mean Labour and the Lib Dems voting for it to negate the Brexiteers in the Tory party and the DUP.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 05, 2018, 02:33:28 PM »
Sounds from Brussels are that the Tories are about to throw the DUP under the bus!!!!

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4570 on: October 05, 2018, 03:05:43 PM »
Sounds from Brussels are that the Tories are about to throw the DUP under the bus!!!!

At least they should use a Ballymena built one.

thebar

• View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 05, 2018, 05:00:20 PM »
Brilliant...DUP in government and they split the union  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #4572 on: October 05, 2018, 06:46:57 PM »
Foster on RTÉ news this evening -as far as I could make out saying  trade matters are  reserved to Westminster.
Is she preparing the troops or what?

2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

Olly

• I will
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: October 05, 2018, 07:18:50 PM »
I think the whole football violence thing is affecting people's thinking on brexit
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: October 05, 2018, 07:51:25 PM »
Foster on RTÉ news this evening -as far as I could make out saying  trade matters are  reserved to Westminster.
Is she preparing the troops or what?

It means Dodds is running the show.