Author Topic: Paddy Jackson apology  (Read 51111 times)

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: Paddy Jackson apology
« Reply #705 on: July 23, 2019, 11:56:15 AM »
In the end a judgement will create a debt against the person and until Brexit a debt can be pursued across borders by following procedures. In the end, this action is about putting down markers and precedent for going after social media posters.
I don't fall for the higher moral ground theory.
Judging by the selected target (someone with money),  this libel action is more motivated by the possibility to extract money.
Otherwise any tom, dick or harry could have been chosen.

I find it wierd that somone in say Latvia could be sued for libel with a biased process under UK NI law. Who's going to chose to defend themselves in a Belfast court even if they are advised that they have a just cause.  If the lady is to be sued, let her be sued in a court in the republic, under a law that she has to answer to.

Itís a difficult subject. The mans reputation is in NI. Defamation law exists to protect that reputation. Itís only right and proper that the courts in that area offer him a form of redress where his reputation was most significantly harmed. EU law even allows for some legal actions to be heard by courts close to the plaintiff not where the injury loss or damage occurred. Iíve personally had to sue Aer Lingus in recent years and did so in Northern Ireland.
Court cases are different, I assume you had to prove the merits of your case to the court's satisfaction in order to get a favourable judgement.

Jackson does not have to prove damage to his reputation in order to gain a favourable judgement, he only has to show evidence that the words were written.
All that's probably needed in this case to satisfy a rational court is a retraction from the accused and for the court to examine first the evidence of any genuine attempts to seek such a solution.

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 23, 2019, 01:49:00 PM »
In the end a judgement will create a debt against the person and until Brexit a debt can be pursued across borders by following procedures. In the end, this action is about putting down markers and precedent for going after social media posters.
I don't fall for the higher moral ground theory.
Judging by the selected target (someone with money),  this libel action is more motivated by the possibility to extract money.
Otherwise any tom, dick or harry could have been chosen.

I find it wierd that somone in say Latvia could be sued for libel with a biased process under UK NI law. Who's going to chose to defend themselves in a Belfast court even if they are advised that they have a just cause.  If the lady is to be sued, let her be sued in a court in the republic, under a law that she has to answer to.

Itís a difficult subject. The mans reputation is in NI. Defamation law exists to protect that reputation. Itís only right and proper that the courts in that area offer him a form of redress where his reputation was most significantly harmed. EU law even allows for some legal actions to be heard by courts close to the plaintiff not where the injury loss or damage occurred. Iíve personally had to sue Aer Lingus in recent years and did so in Northern Ireland.
Court cases are different, I assume you had to prove the merits of your case to the court's satisfaction in order to get a favourable judgement.

Jackson does not have to prove damage to his reputation in order to gain a favourable judgement, he only has to show evidence that the words were written.
All that's probably needed in this case to satisfy a rational court is a retraction from the accused and for the court to examine first the evidence of any genuine attempts to seek such a solution.

Well the court wouldnít have entertained judgement unless pre proceedings protocols had been followed. Jackson also has to show that the words were capable of causing harm so itís a little more than just the words were written but not much. If thereís no evidence of actual harm that will be reflected in the Judgement.

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #707 on: September 11, 2019, 11:16:07 PM »
I considered opening up a new topic for this post but with this topic at the top of the page I decided there was no need.

Messi, Ronaldo and and Neymar are the three highest paid footballers in the world. 2 of the 3 Ronaldo and Neymar have rape acusations pending against them??? That is all. Discuss

The woman who accused Neymar of rape has been charged with fraud/perverting the course of justice by Brazilian police. Ronaldo will not be charged by the Las Vegas police. He is still being sued by the accuser in a civil suit.

Meanwhile in the NFL antonio Brown has been accused of rape.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #708 on: September 12, 2019, 02:19:10 AM »
I considered opening up a new topic for this post but with this topic at the top of the page I decided there was no need.

Messi, Ronaldo and and Neymar are the three highest paid footballers in the world. 2 of the 3 Ronaldo and Neymar have rape acusations pending against them??? That is all. Discuss

The woman who accused Neymar of rape has been charged with fraud/perverting the course of justice by Brazilian police. Ronaldo will not be charged by the Las Vegas police. He is still being sued by the accuser in a civil suit.

Meanwhile in the NFL antonio Brown has been accused of rape.
Therefore what??
Strawman's law rules?  Give me a break.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2020, 08:52:55 PM »
Paddy Jackson's lawyers threaten to sue Rory Best.

Lawyers who acted for rugby player Paddy Jackson in the Belfast rape trial are threatening to sue ex-Ireland captain Rory Best.
Partners in a solicitors firm and two barristers claim the retired sportsman libelled them during a radio interview he gave earlier this year, in which he expressed regret at having attended the trial.

Threatening to sue Rory Best?  Is that not akin to suing Bambi?